U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 AM

150 posts, read 412,985 times

Advertisements

From my experience, the neighborhoods to avoid are:

- Pretty much all of east Tampa. Most of the area is quite rough.
- Ybor city (besides not being too safe, the eastern part of the area kinda borders on industrial, so you probably wouldn't want to call it home)
- The area just north of the University of Tampa (from Cass street north to about Columbus Dr, west to Armenia avenue). I got mugged in this area, and several university students have been attacked just outside of Blake High School on North Boulevard.
- Drew Park

Other than that, Tampa isn't too bad. You can find quiet neighborhoods in every other area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 AM

21,091 posts, read 30,145,350 times
Thanks, but was looking for south St Petersburg info..

Old 01-25-2010, 08:25 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,612,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
So much conflicting information. Can anyone tell me the "real deal" about the Southside of St Petersburg? I'm relocating to the area and have been trying to narrow down my search through information from this board, but I can't seem to make any sense of it.

Roser Park is south of Central and not part of "Old Southeast" so that means it's shady? I was under the impression it was becoming as desirable as Kenwood. The Bayside/Lakeshore Park and Pinellas Park neighborhoods would also fall into the "shady" category then supposedly as well, which I somewhat doubt given the listings I've seen.

Can anyone from the actual area enlighten me? Thanks.
I have friends that live in Roser Park, its a very very nice neighborhood, but it gets a bit sketchy just south of 12th avenue south.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 AM

21,091 posts, read 30,145,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
I have friends that live in Roser Park, its a very very nice neighborhood, but it gets a bit sketchy just south of 12th avenue south.
All the way down to Pinellas Point?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:32 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,612,809 times
Quote:
i know areas closest to the bay are nice like Old Southeast, Coquina Key, Pinellas Point areas..i have some friends that live just south of 54th ave south, nice area.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:42 AM

180 posts, read 492,115 times
Quote:
The areas right by the water are nice, like tampaguy said. What I found while driving around is the problem is that you have to drive through miles of bad areas to get to them. So you can live in the nice area, but then you're surrounded by sketchy areas and you have to go through them all to get to anything.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:03 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,178,064 times
Roser Park isn't bad. I'm talking about the area bordered by the creek to the north, 4th Street South to the east, 9th Street South to the west, and roughly 13th Avenue South to the south. There are still some dumpy properties mixed in with the restored homes, but it's only a matter of time before they're fixed up. As for the rest of South St. Pete, aside from Roser Park and the neighborhoods on the water, it's a dead zone until you hit Pinellas Point to the south or Gulfport to the west, with the exception of the area around the country club. There are some pretty grimy places along 34th Street South.

As for the other non-South St. Pete neighborhoods you mentioned, Kenwood is coming back. It's a lot different than it was ten years ago. The same goes for the Mirror Lake/Uptown area north of downtown. Pinellas Park isn't a neighborhood, but rather an independent city northwest of St. Pete. It has a convenient location, but generally seems to be fairly rundown.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,666,852 times
Any neighborhood off Nebraska Ave in Tampa. Avoid this road at ALL costs.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:05 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,178,064 times
Here, let's see if this works...

Here's a map I made of South St. Pete. Red is the area I would avoid, green is the separate city of Gulfport, yellow is the Pinellas Point area, and light blue is Downtown.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...a0eaebda951738

Sorry, I'm not sure how to embed it without using HTML.

Last edited by ferret111; 01-26-2010 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: link

Old 01-27-2010, 01:57 AM

149 posts, read 406,653 times
I would appreciate some comments on the area I've boxed in red. I can get a decent looking place just west of martin luther king and north of 9th. I'm looking for a relaxed place where hoodlums are not roaming the streets all night and I don't want to be worry about getting robbed or whatever. Would you recommend me picking up a gun for safety if living in this area? Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or