Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 PM

975 posts, read 3,719,362 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but can anyone list these areas? I don't mean places that aren't lily white--I'm talking about areas that are unsafe or just very unpleasant to live for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,348,672 times
In Tampa, I would say East Tampa and Just North of Ybor City, also "Suitcase City" which is bordered by I-275 to the West, Busch Blvd to the South, Bearss Ave to the North, and Bruce B Downs/30th Street to the East, and Drew Park area.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:12 AM

112 posts, read 489,994 times
In St.pete avoid midtown. Basically 9th ave N to 22nd ave S and 49st and 4th street. that entire zone would be unsafe imo.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 PM

thank you both for the information

Old 08-10-2007, 12:02 PM

311 posts, read 490,149 times
In Tampa....

1) East Tampa (north of I-4 and east of 15th Street)

2) Suitcase City/University West (north of Fowler Ave. to Bearss and between Florida Ave. and Bruce B. Downs Bl.)

3) Sulphur Springs/ North Tampa (city area) (Waters Ave. to Fowler Ave. and anywhere east of Florida Ave. to roughly Busch Gardens)

4) The Fishbowl (mainly between Hanna Ave. north to Temple Terrace and from roughly 40th Street east to 56th); although the area around Puritan between 50th and 56th is nice.

5) Ybor City; yes it has changed dramatically during the '90s, but the surrounding residential areas are still a major problem.

6) Drew Park and Carver City (275 north to Hillsborough and Dale Mabry west to TPA Apt.)

7) Clair Mel (78th Street to U.S. 301); problems are a little less, but there are problems in this community.

Hopefully this will help.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:47 PM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
In Tampa....

1) East Tampa (north of I-4 and east of 15th Street)

2) Suitcase City/University West (north of Fowler Ave. to Bearss and between Florida Ave. and Bruce B. Downs Bl.)

3) Sulphur Springs/ North Tampa (city area) (Waters Ave. to Fowler Ave. and anywhere east of Florida Ave. to roughly Busch Gardens)

4) The Fishbowl (mainly between Hanna Ave. north to Temple Terrace and from roughly 40th Street east to 56th); although the area around Puritan between 50th and 56th is nice.

5) Ybor City; yes it has changed dramatically during the '90s, but the surrounding residential areas are still a major problem.

6) Drew Park and Carver City (275 north to Hillsborough and Dale Mabry west to TPA Apt.)

7) Clair Mel (78th Street to U.S. 301); problems are a little less, but there are problems in this community.

Hopefully this will help.
I agree with all this and would add West Tampa, Southeast Seminole Heights and Tampa Heights. So basically, in all honesty, your best bet is to avoid the entire inner core of Tampa and stick to the suburbs. The only areas I could recommend would be South Tampa (past Hyde Park) and Temple Terrace.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 PM

what is temple terrace like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with all this and would add West Tampa, Southeast Seminole Heights and Tampa Heights. So basically, in all honesty, your best bet is to avoid the entire inner core of Tampa and stick to the suburbs. The only areas I could recommend would be South Tampa (past Hyde Park) and Temple Terrace.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,559,889 times
Parts of Pinellas Park aren't so hot either, mainly around the industrial parks south of Park/Gandy.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:11 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,932,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
There are some good buys in Tampa Heights and SE Seminole Heights though - those areas are really changing. I'd probably live there as a single female, they will soon be as nice as Seminole Heights.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:46 PM

43 posts, read 111,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzled View Post
In St.pete avoid midtown. Basically 9th ave N to 22nd ave S and 49st and 4th street. that entire zone would be unsafe imo.
I live in that area and I don't think it's too bad. To each their own though. My neighborhood may have higher crime, but the VIOLENT crime isn't too bad. Pinellas Park has higher violent crime than downtown St Pete, despite St Pete being more urban. Downtown St Pete has a neighborhood called Kenwood I just love, but their is some prostitution and drug dealing. But neither one will bother me if I don't want them to! On the other hand some suburbs have sexual assault and rape. What I did is look at where I wanted to live and asked the police station for a crime report in the neighborhood over 6 months. They only charge like 2 cents a page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay