U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,733 times

Advertisements

I got a speeding ticket and set a court date. But I just started a new job and I am scheduled to work that day. I can't take a day off when I just started this job. It is a professional job - I am not a kid. I work shift work and have been on nights for the last month. My manager decided to put me on days for a week for training with no notice.

I have a pretty clean driving record and no points on my licence, although I did have another speeding ticket last year.

I don't want to be a no show and make things worse, what do I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,706,159 times
Stop speeding?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,249,983 times
Can't speak from experience, fortunately. Have you considered calling the court to reschedule? Or ask what would happen if you don't show? See if you can pay for the ticket without a court appearance.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:47 AM

34,435 posts, read 41,537,489 times
If you dont show the cost of that ticket rises dramatically and the judge will issue a bench warrant which wont be pleasant next time you get stopped by a cop,
Cant you just pay the ticket?
Why the court date?
Either reschedule or explain to your boss why you need that day off.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:46 AM

463 posts, read 913,901 times
You should be able to call court and pay ticket over the phone or by check. You have to show up in court if you want to contest the ticket or it's bad speeding violation. Give them a call and see if you can just pay it without showing up there in person. Or maybe you can come day before and pay it off if you need to be there in person.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:46 AM

295 posts, read 1,289,644 times
If you were really speeding (based on the post, it seems likely), just pay the fine at the courthouse. There is no need to go to court unless you want to fight the ticket, or if the speeding was excessive (over 100mph, 65mph in a school zone, driving reckless...).

Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 AM

34,435 posts, read 41,537,489 times
It gets even easier,just pay online..
Pay Citation Online - Florida Clerks of Court Offices - Florida Safety Council

PS, dont take too long to pay the ticket as the privilege of online payments probably has a 1 month time limit..

Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 AM

2,637 posts, read 10,948,575 times
Were you required to set a court date because you were going 15+ over the limit and it's mandatory, or because you intend to contest it? Either way, you might want to consider using a lawyer service - we used Ticket Clinic to get an unfair 15+ mandatory court appearance ticket dismissed. The lawyer appeared in court to represent my husband who was able to work instead of attending court, and the ticket was dismissed. We paid the lawyer less than the ticket would have cost, and since it was dismissed there were no license points and no insurance adjustment.

I assume if you felt you deserved it you would simply pay it. If you want to pay it but can't attend court because of your work situation, I imagine a traffic lawyer could help you with that, too.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:19 AM

515 posts, read 1,147,930 times
You can file for a continuance (they will give you one) or hire an attorney. If you hire an attorney then he will appear for you and you won't have to. At this point those are your only two options, as you can't change your mind and now decide just to pay it or take driving school after you already elected to go to court. If you don't show up for court then one of two things will happen. The first option that the judge/magistrate has is to suspend your license. The second option is for the case to be heard in absentia, which means that the officer will testify and the judge will make his decision based solely on that testimony.

You also have the option of submitting an affidavit of defense in lieu of your court appearance. Quite honestly though that's pretty much worthless and I've never seen a judge rule in the favor of a defendant when they submit one.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,249,983 times
OP, you might want to take your ticket to trial, especially if you get a Pinellas County jury, if you know what I mean......

Joking of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or