Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:04 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Where could they even built it downtown? The old Central Park Village land is already accounted for. The only other place is that area just north of the Ice Palace
The City owns a portion of the land immediately North of the Ice Palace and to the East of the flour mill, that is where they would put it.

Traffic would be an absolute nightmare into the games. I work downtown.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
The City owns a portion of the land immediately North of the Ice Palace and to the East of the flour mill, that is where they would put it.

Traffic would be an absolute nightmare into the games. I work downtown.
Do you mean west of the flour mill? East of it is that small freight yard and then all the new Channelside towers.

I agree about traffic, though. At least they're building that Crosstown/I-4 connector.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Do you mean west of the flour mill? East of it is that small freight yard and then all the new Channelside towers.

I agree about traffic, though. At least they're building that Crosstown/I-4 connector.
The rail yard is owned by the Expressway Authority, not the railroad or the flour mill.

It's assumed that they could coax the flour mill to close and sell that land.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:31 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Have you ever made that drive? I can get to downtown Tampa in about 30 minutes. It's close to an hour to downtown St Pete.
It's ~20 minutes between the exits on 275 for downtown St. Pete and downtown Tampa. I make that drive all the time. That's not going to make or break whether you get a good night's sleep. And if games are well attended, it'll take longer to get from parking to the highway, so the real number is less than 20 minutes.

To the rest of your post, like I've responded twice now, I agree that there are better locations for the Rays, and I do think attendance could improve if the Rays played on the other side of the bay. I just don't buy the sleep argument.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
It's ~20 minutes between the exits on 275 for downtown St. Pete and downtown Tampa. I make that drive all the time. That's not going to make or break whether you get a good night's sleep. And if games are well attended, it'll take longer to get from parking to the highway, so the real number is less than 20 minutes.
Not at the time when you need to drive to the trop for the typical 7pm start. You are fighting rush hour traffic crossing the bay at the same time.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:28 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times
Quote:
Not at the time when you need to drive to the trop for the typical 7pm start. You are fighting rush hour traffic crossing the bay at the same time.
He was saying nobody from Wesley Chapel/New Tampa goes to midweek games because they'd get home too late, and that wouldn't be the case if the Rays played in downtown Tampa. By the time a midweek night game is over, you can easily do the highway time between the downtowns in 20 minutes.

Agree on your point though: driving from Wesley Chapel to the Trop during rush hour would suck. And it'd really suck if you're driving from work in Tampa to pick up the kids in Wesley Chapel and then to the Trop. I think easily getting to the game is a much, much bigger deal than getting home late -- you're going to get home late unless you live right near the stadium. Also, even if the Rays were in Tampa, the work-to-home-in-Wesley-Chapel-to-downtown-Tampa trip would still be pretty terrible. And, although rush hour in Tampa is rough, evening rush hour traffic on southbound 275 in Pinellas, including on the bridge, averages under the speed limit, but moves pretty well unless there's a wreck.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:03 AM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post

To the rest of your post, like I've responded twice now, I agree that there are better locations for the Rays, and I do think attendance could improve if the Rays played on the other side of the bay. I just don't buy the sleep argument.
I don't know how to say this any other way than this...I can make a Lightning game, no problem, on any given weekday.

A Rays game? No.

If you don't believe me, then I don't know what to say. There is no other way that I can say this other than that.

I have attended probably 5-6 Lightning games on weekdays over the last 5-6 years, and maybe 10-12 total. I have attended maybe 1 Rays game on a weekday, but have been to probably 30 Rays games overall. I just can't drive home, get my kids, drive to St Pete, and drive all the way back home, and feel like I'm treating my kids well.

It is NOT 20 minutes downtown to downtown. I have no idea where you are getting that. Heck, I just mapquested the directions from the ice palace to the dome, and that's more than 23 miles. Factor in traffic, etc...if you can make that in 20 minutes, more power to you. I can't.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I would personally like to see a stadium built near the I-4/I-75 interchange. You would draw not only the Tampa audience but the Orlando audience as well. Living in Orlando, I only go to a game on the weekends due to the commute and the time I would get home on a weeknight. But if I had only a 45-50 min drive, I'd be more inclined to go on a weeknight.

Wishful thinking, but I think the Rays would move before that ever happened.
How about this idea ? Put a stadium out Lakeland way or halfway between Tampa and Orlando and have both cities share some of the expense. This seems to work fine in Arlington TX although Dallas is bigger than Orlando or Tampa.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
How about this idea ? Put a stadium out Lakeland way or halfway between Tampa and Orlando and have both cities share some of the expense. This seems to work fine in Arlington TX although Dallas is bigger than Orlando or Tampa.
That is a ridiculous suggestion.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
That is a ridiculous suggestion.
Really ? Please explain why if you would be so kind ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay