Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 AM

609 posts, read 1,615,353 times

Advertisements

Could you live in Ybor City without a car? Only staying there for a year maxium.

I'm thinking of moving here or some other areas. I will be traveling a lot in/out and just need somewhere i can feel 'new yorkerish' when i'm at home. Just poop out, walk or ride a rail to get some groceries.

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 01:20 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,270,741 times
It would be very inconvenient. You'd have better luck living in Downtown Tampa without a car.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM

16 posts, read 37,276 times
As a former New Yorker I feel fairly confident that there's no part of Tampa where you can live where you will feel "New Yorkerish." Even in the most walkable, dense parts of Tampa it just isn't that kind of city.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:29 PM

817 posts, read 2,242,759 times
doable but not easy. To get to a grocery store, you'd have to take the streetcar to downtown and then walk to Publix in Hyde Park.

There are plenty of places to eat in Ybor, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Everything else would require bus trips or cabs.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,287,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
doable but not easy. To get to a grocery store, you'd have to take the streetcar to downtown and then walk to Publix in Hyde Park.
It's impossible, dont suggest he do that, there is absolutely zero people who do that. Walk from wherever you live in Ybor to a trolley stop, then take it to the closest trolley stop to Publix which is the "Convention Center" stop, then under over the Platt Street bridge (currently under construction and no sidewalks), then to Publix. Shop, then carry all your groceries back the way you came? In summer? no way...

Quote:
There are plenty of places to eat in Ybor, so that wouldn't be an issue.
If you want to eat out every night, there is plenty of selection. Everything is way overpriced and someone doing this day in and day out will not want to do this.

Quote:
Everything else would require bus trips or cabs.
Yea, EVERYWHERE.

TO OP: Ybor City is not New York, its pretty much a few blocks of bars and a few restaurants/bars carved out of the ghetto, completely surrounded by thick ghetto. It's not somewhere you want to be out walking around. The only real jobs within walking distance require you to be a "commodities broker" of illegal goods or a thief. Or work in one of those bars.

It's just about impossible to live in Florida and not have a car, unless you are a retired homebody who eats nothing but delivery pizza.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
It's just about impossible to live in Florida and not have a car, unless you are a retired homebody who eats nothing but delivery pizza.
No, it's not. I don't have a car and I do just fine between using the bus and walking.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
No, it's not. I don't have a car and I do just fine between using the bus and walking.
Too many DUI's?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Too many DUI's?
Nice try. Zero traffic tickets or infractions, actually.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Nice try. Zero traffic tickets or infractions, actually.
At any rate, no matter what disability or loss of faculty you may have, your suggestion to not have a car is asinine and will not work for 99% of the population.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
At any rate, no matter what disability or loss of faculty you may have, your suggestion to not have a car is asinine and will not work for 99% of the population.
Why must you imply that something is wrong with me and go as far as to say that suggesting a car-free life is asinine? (which, by the way, I did not even suggest in this thread.) Why is it so hard for you to believe that perfectly normal people are able to live their lives without a car? And to top it off, you make yet another gross overgeneralization that ultimately helps nobody and just shows that you don't know what you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay