Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 9,585 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from NY soon. I have been down 2 times looking at houses and rentals. I will be working in northern st petersburg, probably first or second exit off of 275 coming down from tampa , dont remember exactly. I am still trying to figure out where to get a place but I know that I like the Wesley chappel area. Real worried what I hear about the commute. Is it really that bad. Anyone have real world times to share what I can expect in rush hour. I might have found a place in Live Oaks that seems like a pretty good deal. So wondering if buying is a good move without really feeling out the commute. thinking of renting there first but If commute is not a problem the house might be best option. Also is Brandon any better or worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 04:52 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
For Live Oak I would first check how much. You have to pay in CDD/HOA since years ago there was a CDD, HOA and on top of that another HOA fee....that is why we decided not to buy there.

You can talk several different roads to St. Pete and it depends mostly on the time of the day and if a dumb person caused an accident...if no accidents then you won't have much of an issue.

Right now they are working on widening many roads, but when they are done it will make a big difference.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 PM

877 posts, read 1,912,515 times
I live right across the street to Wesley Chapel and I work near the airport so my commute is 45-60 minutes. My husband works downtown and his is 30-45 minutes. To get to St. Pete you'd have to further on beyond the airport at least 30 minutes. So at a minimum I'd say you've have an 1 and 15 minute commute, probably more.

Have you checked out Northeast St. Pete and S. Tampa? Older homes for the most part but your commute would be so much better.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:06 AM

Im considering renting in st pete first but as far as homes something newer would be better. over an hour might be pushing it already. thanks for the info.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:35 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeShadow View Post
I am relocating from NY soon. I have been down 2 times looking at houses and rentals. I will be working in northern st petersburg, probably first or second exit off of 275 coming down from tampa , dont remember exactly. I am still trying to figure out where to get a place but I know that I like the Wesley chappel area. Real worried what I hear about the commute. Is it really that bad. Anyone have real world times to share what I can expect in rush hour. I might have found a place in Live Oaks that seems like a pretty good deal. So wondering if buying is a good move without really feeling out the commute. thinking of renting there first but If commute is not a problem the house might be best option. Also is Brandon any better or worse?

Why live in Wesley Chapel if your job is in Pinellas County? Buy/Rent in Pinellas. There is an accident on 275 daily.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:29 AM

Check out Trinity...newer homes and you can take the Suncoast down to Tampa and go to St. Pete.

It's like 1 mile form Pinellas so you enjoy the lower property taxes of Pasco County.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:50 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
You should come down and drive it during the hours you will be working before buying anything. Rent first and then decide on a place to buy.

Trinity is a nice newer area but it is a long way from NE St. Pete too. Traffic during normal rush hours is bad and if you are moving to a new city and job why not look for something close to work. BTW during the summer you can expect torrential downpours during pm rush hour which will make your commute even longer

Old 08-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Agreed will have to rent first. I was around this past week and stayed in wesley chapel with intentions to try the commute but didnt have a chance. I got caught in a few downpours last week so I see. I thought maybe it was just god telling me not to move down here. seems when ever i am here its always raining. is brandon a long way out or is it quick to cut through south tampa. stopped in at a rental community i liked down there. Believe it was versent.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Keep in mind that you don't know any of us posting on this forum...by that I mean that some people don't like to drive 5 min. to work while others prefer not to live too close to their job and don't want to deal with running into clients or other people from work all the time.

I drive every weekday 40-45 min to work and don't mind it at all, but if it would include driving on Hillsborough Ave, then it would drive me crazy. My commute is pretty good and hardly ever do I deal with traffic jams. I live in Wesley Chapel and there are now multiple ways for me to drive to Tampa or else where since I have the option of using St. Rd 54, St. Rd 56, Morris Bridge road, Bruce B. Downs and I can choose to use I-75 or not....I don't think many places give you so many options.

We are not in a flood zone which saves money on ins. and if you don't want to live very close to the beach you can buy cheaper in Wesley Chapel then in St. Pete or it must be that you like the old neighborhoods, but then I would suggest to check the sheriff's website for the crime rate. St. Pete has been in the news for a lot of deadly crimes...I believe 3 or 4 police officers died within the last year in St. Pete, all crime related.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:42 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I agree with Bentlebee and I am one of those that hate to drive in traffic especially during rush hour when all I want is to get home. We are all different and you really should check it out. I don't live in Wesley Chapel but I do agree it is a great area. My son lives there but his job is nearby. He likes the area too.

I would not recommend Brandon since it is a toll road and you will have to fight traffic going downtown everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay