Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,858 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a single/divorced mom looking to start a new life in Tampa moving from Cleveland Ohio. I have a close cousin in Wesley Chapel but I don't know anyone else out there. Can you guys help me choose a neighborhood close to Wesley Chapel that has low rent and low crime rates. Can you tell me anything about childcare assistance programs. I am moving there without a job but I'm sure I will be able to find one relatively quickly. I have 2 degrees. But with only one income, I'm not sure how I will be able to pay rent & childcare. Also any other tips you all have are greatly needed. I am planning on making the move in a month and will be down there in a couple of weeks to look for housing. One last thing... I have heard Florida has very nice mobile homes that can be rented very cheaply. Do you know of any nice areas for mobile homes or is that not such a great idea? Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Low rent and low crime rates don't mix.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleve2Tampa View Post
Hi, I'm a single/divorced mom looking to start a new life in Tampa moving from Cleveland Ohio. I have a close cousin in Wesley Chapel but I don't know anyone else out there. Can you guys help me choose a neighborhood close to Wesley Chapel that has low rent and low crime rates. Can you tell me anything about childcare assistance programs. I am moving there without a job but I'm sure I will be able to find one relatively quickly. I have 2 degrees. But with only one income, I'm not sure how I will be able to pay rent & childcare. Also any other tips you all have are greatly needed. I am planning on making the move in a month and will be down there in a couple of weeks to look for housing. One last thing... I have heard Florida has very nice mobile homes that can be rented very cheaply. Do you know of any nice areas for mobile homes or is that not such a great idea? Please help
I can't tell if this is a serious post or not, sounds like a previous poster. Single mom with 4 kids, moving with no job looking for a very cheap mobile home? I'm sorry, but you really need a better plan. Get a job BEFORE you move here, don't drag 4 kids with you down here only to end up homeless.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:55 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Note: I began typing this earlier, got a phone call, came back & posted. So I didn't see the last comment. Yes, Gypsychic, I've seen a similar post more than once.

This scenario sounds very familiar. I've seen a few threads by a single mother with 3 or 4 children who has asked the same questions. The answer is always never move to a new area, especially Florida, during a recession without a job. Although we hope life here will continue to improve, the economy will grow, and the unemployment rate will drop (it's still over 11% in Tampa, higher in other cities) it's not easy for anyone, degree or not, to get work now.

How are you going to pay for daycare? 2 years ago I lived next door to a man with 1 child, 4 years old. He paid $450 a week for his little girl to attend a good daycare/school. However, I'm sure you can find something a lot more reasonable.

If you are talking about using State Funded care, you should contact the Florida Dept of Family Services or Head Start. If you've been following the news, you probably read that there have been deep cuts to child care subsidies in Florida's State Budget. Your plan sounds very risky to me.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,858 times
Ok maybe I should clarify... First of all yes, this is a serious post and this is my first time on this forum. I also have significant job leads and know I will be able to find a decent job in my job field. I am a licensed clinical Social Worker but cannot get a job there until after I take the license exam for Florida. I have seen hundreds of job post in my field in that area & have even received a few responses to my resume, but again I have to take the Florida exam. Also when I say cheap, I mean around $1000 per month for a three bedroom. I have income to last us 6-9 months at least. Soooo, I think well be ok. If not we always can go back home. I was hoping someone could give me some non-judgmental advice about housing areas & I'm not talking about a run down trailer but a friend of mine suggested a double wide mobile home in Florida are just as nice as other homes. As far as the childcare goes I pay about $500 per month now with Ohios childcare program which is affordable I only really need care for my infant.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Ok maybe I should clarify... First of all yes, this is a serious post and this is my first time on this forum. I also have significant job leads and know I will be able to find a decent job in my job field. I am a licensed clinical Social Worker but cannot get a job there until after I take the license exam for Florida. I have seen hundreds of job post in my field in that area & have even received a few responses to my resume, but again I have to take the Florida exam. Also when I say cheap, I mean around $1000 per month for a three bedroom. I have income to last us 6-9 months at least. Soooo, I think well be ok. If not we always can go back home. I was hoping someone could give me some non-judgmental advice about housing areas & I'm not talking about a run down trailer but a friend of mine suggested a double wide mobile home in Florida are just as nice as other homes. As far as the childcare goes I pay about $500 per month now with Ohios childcare program which is affordable I only really need care for my infant.
You can find plenty of small 2bedroom homes for rent in west Pasco for well under $600 a month. I don't see much in north Tampa or around the nicer parts of Pasco for $1k and under.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
I think you could find something in Land-o-lakes....as far as child-care my sister-in-law has babysat for working moms at a reasonable rate DM and I'll give you her phone #! Goodluck to you!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Oh one more thing stay away from West Pasco...if you can afford $1000 a month look at East Pasco better schools and less crime!

Old 08-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Oh one more thing stay away from West Pasco...if you can afford $1000 a month look at East Pasco better schools and less crime!
True, cheaper rent comes at a high cost for crime. I would say rent a 2bedroom apt, but with that many kids the law won't allow it.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
I was hoping someone could give me some non-judgmental advice about housing areas & I'm not talking about a run down trailer but a friend of mine suggested a double wide mobile home in Florida are just as nice as other homes.
Nobody was judging you. Your post was a little vague and people were only giving you advice based on the information you provided.
[URL="http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm"]Unemployment rates by state July 2011[/URL]

I agree with the others who say you can find a decent rental for less than $1,000, especially in this economy. Depends what's included. However, there are plenty of houses for rent. What about a townhouse? Those are very popular with young families. Just make sure you know what you're getting and ask for everything in writing. (what utilities you pay, if you are responsible for lawn care, and so on) Frankly, I'd use a reputable real estate agency with a property manager, but if you rent a private home, check out its status on the county web site (i.e., taxes paid, if it's in foreclosure, etc.)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay