U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 PM

169 posts, read 991,338 times

Advertisements

MSlilrose, You may find the properties on this web site helpful: Home Health Care Agency Agencies Florida FL Directory Listings Some will not relate to your circumstances but others should be helpful. These are ACHA certified health care facilities.

I'm no expert on this subject when it comes to what you qualify for or how but I will tell you that there are "Certificates of Need" that are issued to the facilities and the number of certificates are based on the population count and the governments estimate of the number of people in an immediate area that they anticipate will "need" the assistance, and they are issued by the state. Hospitals get them, nursing homes get them certain elder care facilities get them. They are regulated by the state and federal government. It's kind of like Section 8 but it's a different type of support entirely and for someone with a disability may be more aligned with your circumstances.

Each of these certificates allows a facility to accept a subsidy from medicare/medicaid for a single patient. The more certificates they have the more qualified candidates they can accept. Care subsidized is also qualified and quantified over time so the patient has to continue to renew and qualify and the facility has to continue to be "worthy" of each certificate.

In some cases it's an age qualification, and in some cases it's an income qualification and in some cases (it's my understanding) it's a circumstance (disability) qualification. You may already qualify from an income or disability standpoint but you should speak to someone at the state (ACHA) to determine eligibility.

The various places on the list in the link already have certificates but may not have vacancies. There's usually a waiting list.

You will want to spend some time getting acquainted with the system here, qualifying guidelines, providers and care offered and how it will work for you (or not) and make informed choices/arrangements before you arrive if you can - so you aren't without accommodations when you get here. At least you have your girls, I hope they will assist you with your plans.

We are all getting older each day (beats the alternatives as my husband would say) and although you're by no means "older" your disability also makes life difficult for you. In one of these types of facilities you will be around others whose lives are subsidized but will probably not be around the "pimps and thugs" referenced above.... probably more apple sauce and bingo...

The costs of care and housing will no doubt be a burden for many Americans who outlive our money - there's never enough. Life throws curve balls, be careful not to throw rocks when you're young... the end game can be tough.

Heart on the left, wallet on the right. Good luck to you.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 PM

14 posts, read 64,849 times
Thank you for your helpful and compassionate letter. My daughter in Tampa will be a newlywed come April; so I hate to impose. I don't have the need for a assisted living faciity, thank goodness. And if my physician and insurance would allow me knee replacements, I could go back to doing social work. I didn't know moving with my section 8 voucher would be so difficult. The housing authority here says I can transport my voucher there, but I'm on my own to find a place, I hate giving up my dream. I can not go through another winter where I can't even go outside without the fear of slipping. Everyone here seems to hibernate for nearly 5 months, and it's not healthy. I'm looking forward to the active lifestyle that I hear many baby boomers still enjoy in Florida.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:38 AM

849 posts, read 3,200,303 times
Default mslilrose

ntfeldman said it very well, life throws us curve balls sometimes and your newlywed daughter might just as well learn that now. G-d forbid she's ever in your shoes but that's what children are supposed to do for us when they grow up and we age or become infirm. So go ahead, impose, seriously. Maybe a few months in the warmth of Florida AND family will heal you and you'll be able to go back on your own. It doesn't sound as if you're down for the count just a bit off kilter for a bit. The kids will recover once you do.
What I'm wondering is can't you do social work from a wheelchair? I know it's a terrible decision to make but when my MS acts up I don't hesitate to use one if it means getting out. I often use the scooter in the supermarket and so what if some idiots give me pitying looks?
Honestly I'm horrified by the attitudes shown here by some posters towards the poor.
For all of you: your "karma" is changing because of what you are spewing. You've obviously had lives of relative comfort or very "lucky" breaks. See my first sentence. Just wait, your turn is coming.
So, mslilrose, get on the plane, tell your darling daughter what you've told us that the housing authority said, and tell her that you will be staying only for as long as you need to locate a decent place that will take your voucher. Also don't give up on the docs but in the meanwhile take the best care you can of yourself. Being here should help the stress and if you need to lose weight, you probably will because you will be a bit more active if you don't have to hibernate. The sun is wonderful for the depression I sense in your posts and will help the arthritis in your knees. You may not even need the surgery. Check out acupuncture for the pain before going under the knife x 2. FL Medicaid will pay for it.
Sincere best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslilrose View Post
Thank you for your helpful and compassionate letter. My daughter in Tampa will be a newlywed come April; so I hate to impose. I don't have the need for a assisted living faciity, thank goodness. And if my physician and insurance would allow me knee replacements, I could go back to doing social work. I didn't know moving with my section 8 voucher would be so difficult. The housing authority here says I can transport my voucher there, but I'm on my own to find a place, I hate giving up my dream. I can not go through another winter where I can't even go outside without the fear of slipping. Everyone here seems to hibernate for nearly 5 months, and it's not healthy. I'm looking forward to the active lifestyle that I hear many baby boomers still enjoy in Florida.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:16 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,492,430 times
To all the people saying that people on section 8 are lazy bums and have lots of money, new cars, rims, ect, ect is total B.S.

I was on section 8 voucher as a Katrina victim living in a building with other people on section 8.

Your caseworker is constantly going through your bank accounts, checking your apartment/house and you or atleast we, had to meet with her and update her on our situations with money we had, the jobs we had, ect, ect.

It's a mandatory requirement that unless you're handicapped, you HAVE to work or atleast have to realistically look for work. You're not allowed to have ANY assets and the money that you DO make, you have to pay 30% of for rent.

I can guarantee if someone is driving a new car with new rims and a sterio system, Someone else owns or bought it.

People that talk that smack are so weak, I bet you're the same ones that wear the t-shirt that says " work hard ! millions on welfare depend on you "

makes me sick.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:54 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,250,630 times
Thats a great slogan....and yes they do depend on us.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,492,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Don't inject political rhetoric to distract from the issue. YES we do work to help support the millions on welfare..as we work to support the corporate welfare, social programs across the world, etc. All of them depend on hardworking Americans....so yes the slogan is valid and accurate.

Needless to say...I am intimately aware of the plague that is section 8, one of a LONG line of safety nets that WERE to assist people to get on their feet, not for a permanent existence on the public dime. So no I do not EVER rent to section 8 because the vast majority that I have personally known to have it are PERMANENTLY on section 8, do little for themselves, and expect the handout as a matter of fact. Futhermore, as these people have no skin in the game, aka the money does not come out of their pocket, they could care less about your apt, your basic rules, or any basic respect for themselves or others, because they are of the mentality that they are "entitled" to whatever they want.

There is no concept of self-reliance, responsibility, or personal development, and by participating in this monumental rape of the tax system, LLs are encouraging all of these horrendous behaviors and ultimately the further degredation of our society. Tired of paying too much in taxes? Don't accept section 8..and let those vouchers become worthless pieces of paper. Tired of the "entitlement" mentality that too many people have these days? Don't accept section 8 in your building/home, and let people work hard to live within their means and take responsibility for their actions. Tired of seeing welfare moms with 4 kids? Don't take section 8, and they/their friends/families will realize its not so cool to be 5 people in a studio apt. Tired of seeing the quality of life in this country deteriorate? Don't take section 8 or accept other entitlement programs, so people can learn work ethic, responsibility, sacrifice, and the value of hard work and a dollar.

This does not solve the world's problems, but I believe it is a step in the right direction.
Congratulations, That was probably the most closed minded thing I think I've ever read. I would like to commend you on your generalizations oh, I would also like to thank you for showing to the world that you practice discrimination in renting to your tennants, Obviously you're not fond of single mothers who's husbands/boyfriends left them hanging. Don't think for a minute that your post wasn't full of racial overtones either.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 14,076 times
Default Section 8 Not all bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Agreed there is only one REQUIRED inspection per year, but Section 8 tenants, especially those that are terrible tenants, call their Section 8 representative every time there is a toilet clog or the heat is not up to 85 degrees. So here comes the inspector who will ALWAYS find SOME violation...and poof..payments are suspended.

I also agree that if you tenant moves out and tears up the apt you can report them. That's great...but you are still stuck with a torn up apt...is the city going to pay you to renovate the place? Nope...but they will certainly write up that report!

Agreed that Section 8 is not only for the very poor, it is also for the regular poor. What do both of these groups have in common? They have nothing to lose and risk nothing should they decide to make your life hell. They have no assets, so good luck recouping any money after they move...or back rent. When you have no skin in the game...you are typically not responsible, or even reasonable..why should you be...you have nothing to lose!

I don't see Section 8 tenants driving BMWs..and that is not an accurate assessment of Section 8 tenants in NYC. What I do see is a mother with 3 kids...and a "Boyfriend" that lives there but his income is not reported. So she gets rent paid, plus all other benefits and services, and her "boyfriend" has a fulltime job with possibly a high income..all to spend on frivolous items.

Unfortunately poverty in this city is synonymous with ghetto behavior and thuggery 9 times out of 10...and Section 8 is all people in poverty, whether it is extreme poverty, or just poor. Either way...why would you want to deal with this segment? Rents are NOT guaranteed, but headaches often are....I have yet to see the advantage???
Oh MY GOSH!!!! First of all if you do a regular background check, credit check and reference check you should find good section 8 tenants. I have been on Section 8 for about 7 years now and have yet to go running to my section 8 office about problems with my living situation. My son has health problems that make going to school and daycare for him almost impossible so I stay at home with im 24/7 (thank goodness for this program because otherwise we would be homeless).

As far as your indication that we have nothing to lose, we have our voucher to lose. Now some of these people on section 8 may not care, but I do. This voucher has a GREAT impact on my life as well as my childrens. I do not EVER take this forgranted and live a decent clean life.

Now I do see some people on Section 8 who have boyfriends living with them. Frankly it makes me SICK. As a landlord you have the right to evict them, turn then in for fraud and other options. I am a single mother and I find no use for a "boyfriend" in my life. I have WAY to much responsiblity taking care of my first priorities in life, my children. If my son wasn't faced with medical problems I would be working full time and wouldn't have a need for this program. I know at some point he will be old enough to take care of himself, even it means him still living at home. I will be able to go back to work and take up my career choice that I have had to put on hold. Instead my days are filled with in home therapy, homebound education, and doctor appointments. It may not be paid work, but its equivalant to a public school teacher, CNA and a bus driver.

I know that a good majority of people on section 8 are probably considered trouble, but how many regular paying tenants are "good"? I have friends who own rental properties and the stories they could tell about "regular" renters could make your hair curl. The good tenants usually have good credit, good references, and have lived places for a long period of time. If you are checking these things you can and will find good section 8 renters (p.s. I have excellent credit in the upper 700's, I have a clean background check, and I have very good references and have lived in our current home for 3 years and 4 years in our previous home. Only moved because our voucher went from 2 bd to 3bd).

Please don't lump all section 8 tenants into the same pile. It really is not right and makes it even more difficult for those who really need it.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:16 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,831,619 times
I agree, you shouldn't lump everyone into one category just because you have had bad renters where you live doesn't mean they are all bad. My SIL lived on Sec 8 as a single mother while she looked for work. She was not a deadbeat, had no live in boyfriend, kept her place nice and paid her rent on time.

Maybe it is just where you live that ppl are allowed to get away with doing such things and for once FL is doing it right.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:20 PM

45 posts, read 139,315 times
Angry Not True About Section 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
It is for some lazy people who do not want to work. I own 2 apartment buildings that qualify for section 8 tenants. They are great to own if you can put up with the games. The check is always there as our tax dollars make sure of that. Tenants pay approximately 10% of the rent, and believe me they have a hard time paying that sometimes. But I have seen some good stories come out of it. Single moms usally get back on their feet for the most part. will be selling them soon as we will be moving soon. I wonder if I will miss them?
Unfortunately several things you mention about Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers are NOT TRUE.

I am a retired, disabled person living on Social Security who is eligible for and uses the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program to subsidize my rent. I am not "lazy and do not want to work." I am 65, retired and unable to work a full time job. I also consider myself a very good tenant. My landlord seems to think so, too.

Section 8 tenants are obligated to pay 30% of adjust gross income to the landlord up to a maximum of an allowed 40%. The local housing authority pays you the remained of rent from Housing and Urban Development funds. Many senior citizens and disabled people who use and rely on Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers make excellent tenants.

The only "games" involved with Section 8 tenants is for landlords to have adequate rental units that can pass inspection for the program and rent collection. Sorry, but those two things go along with being a landlord in any case. I've been through all the Section 8 paperwork as both a property manager and as a tenant. It's no big deal. Tens of thousands of landlords and tenants across the country love the Section 8 voucher program for the help and guarantees it provides for so amny.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:35 PM

45 posts, read 139,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec525 View Post
Sector 8 is classified GOVT info.
Maybe, but this thread refers to "Section 8, Housing Act, 1937." There is more than one "section 8" in US Government parlance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay