Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 04:43 PM

6 posts, read 7,998 times

Advertisements

What is the cost of living, Is there a demand for production workers...like packers and shippers....Warehouse jobs. Is renting apartments super expensive...looking for 2-3 bedroom, utilities included... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,674 times
Cost of living is pretty high in Tampa. Its not cheap, I will tell you that right now. I dont see much of a demand for warehouse jobs here but I am sure there are some here. Apartments for 2-3 bedrooms in a decent area range between $800-1100 a month and they usually DONT include utilities.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:56 AM

181 posts, read 357,056 times
yep, what he said about rent. Although if you're in a good position to buy a mortgage can be a steel right now- $85,000 for a 1700sf home that's about 5-10 yrs old. Also, lower costs as far as winter - our electric bill is always under a 100 (for an 1100 sqft home). Plus you don't need coats, sweaters, etc. one sweater that you wear 3-5 times a year will last you a while!

Labor workers- that's not something I've seen advertised for. We're mostly service oriented or agricultural. We love it here in Apollo Beach (20 miles south of Tampa). Lots to do! Here and Orlando - and lots of beaches, parks, parades and other low-cost fun stuff to go along with the pricey theme parks and theatre and sports tickets.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:47 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
I'd imagine warehouse jobs in Florida pay less than they do in Chicago. It might be hard to support a family if that's your only source of income. You may want to look around Lakeland, I know there are a lot of distribution centers in that area and the cost of living might be a little less expensive. The unemployment rate is really high, so whatever job you apply for you're likely to be competing with dozens, if not hundreds, of other applicants.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,286 times
Default Don't do it

As someone from the Midwest who lived in Tampa for three years, I advise you stay put and forget the sunshine state. Unless you're rich and don't have to work. No unions, jobs pay much less, very transient. It's sort of an extension of the plantation days...a few guys get rich, the rest suffer and struggle.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 PM

451 posts, read 933,697 times
I lived in Chicago for 8 years, right down town, and I moved to South Tampa over a year ago. I am so, so happy I made the decision to move here and love my new town. It is home. It is beautiful, and my love for it is renewed just about every day.

Here's the thing though, I moved here with a job. 7 months after I moved here, my mother-in-law moved down to Clearwater. She still hasn't found work. She's had a really, really tough time. The economy here isn't healthy, just like the rest of the US. If you're going to move here, you should move here expecting that your savings will run out and you'll face eviction-- because that is such a common theme for new transplants.

I've had a great experience, but my story is not a common one. If you're planning to move here without a job lined up, signed, sealed and delivered, I would suggest you think twice...

Plan properly, find work, then move. Otherwise, sunny days and palm trees will not save you.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:48 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashunG1 View Post
What is the cost of living, Is there a demand for production workers...like packers and shippers....Warehouse jobs. Is renting apartments super expensive...looking for 2-3 bedroom, utilities included... Thanks
You might want to check around Lakeland for warehouse jobs. Lakeland/Polk County is the major distribution area for the state, having more leased warehouse space than anywhere else in the country, only second to LA.

Anyway, as thethinktank said, you really want to have a job in hand before you come down, or else a year's worth of savings to tide you over.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:49 PM

39 posts, read 156,391 times
We moved from the Chicago suburbs (where we lived our whole lives until now) to Clearwater a few months ago. We're loving every minute of it here. However, I transfered through my work and my husband quickly found an IT job. We don't really notice anything besides gas being cheaper. I took a paycut though ... go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay