U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 PM

84 posts, read 350,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjtoledo View Post
I'm thinking Tuscany Bay maybe where I rent for 7 months. By the way, the whole Relocation process is very odd. The relocation company I've been working w/ offered me a 1BR furnished apt @ Tuscany Bay (Westchase area) for $2,600 not including tax.

I called the Apt complex myself and received an offer for $920 a month for 7 mnths and I can contract Cort (Furnishing Rental) and get basic furnishing for $230 a month? I'm saving my new employer and myself tons of money. Just thought I would share.

Hopefully, we'll sale our Philly home quickly and we can start finding the right home - leaning towards Dunedin. 2 things scare the bejeezes ...: 1) home owners insurance and 2) sinkholes. Oh yeah and lack of vegeterian options on menus.
Hi Toledo,

2 things about Dunedin, if you go into the city office where they do building permits there is a huge map on the wall w/ every sinkhole in Dunedin on it. Also, there is an award winning vegetarian restaurant downtown named Casa Tina's. Mexican, if you couldn't guess. Tina & Javier will take great care of you and there is actually vegetarian dishes on almost every menu in town so don't worry about that. There is Nature's Food Patch which is our local health/organic food store in Clearwater and Palm Harbor has one also. They have also just approved a plan for condos & a "Whole Foods" kind of store to be built right downtown. You will be surprised at how much there is available around here
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 12,529 times
I concur with TampaBound. It no use in comparing cities. Each city/state offers something unique.

I am originally from South Jersey and have lived in Atlanta (GA), Columbia(MD), and now New Tampa. I love Tampa and enjoy the close proximity to Orlando and other larger cities. I had to relocate back to NJ for family reasons and I missed Tampa & Florida the most-especially in the winter!

I spent a great deal of time in Philly due to a lack of culture in my township. I liked the Center City, but in my opinion, Philly is not a good place to raise children. Although mostly centered in the poorer areas, the crime rates speaks for itself!

In closing, Tampa may not be the picture perfect Florida city, but it is changing as well as growing rapidly. It has most amenities (i.e. restaurants, entertainment, festivities, etc.) that i've experienced in other cities such as Atlanta.

Don't compare the two cities, but really think about whats important to you. There is nothing worse than meeting disgruntled transplants..New Yorkers always seem to be the most disgruntled in the southern cities.

Good Luck!

Old 08-27-2007, 02:18 PM

15 posts, read 215,442 times
I guess you have to first decide if you are picking a place for YOU to live or a place for your KIDS to live--and grow up.

I moved here last month and had to make a similar decision. to be honest, I took a different approach . . . I wanted to find the best place in the area for my kids to spend their childhood. I needed to be within a reasonable commute to both tampa and St. Pete . . . wanted low crime, low unemployment, a low percentage of people below the poverty line, moderate population density, a relatively high percentage of college graduate and professionals, in a good school district . . . not in a flood area (good-bye, old northeast) . . . a high percentage of households with children, a median age in the 30s or low 40s. . . . near major arteries, near a hospital, near lots of ethnic restaurants, a nice park to run in, lots of activities for my kids, including some large, well-used playgrounds. All the demographic information by zip code is available at places like Moderator cut: link removed and through yahoo! neighborhoods.

The geographic limitation--commuting distance to both downtown St. Pete (near the stadium) and Tampa was a large constraint. Other areas were eliminted because of high crime, high unemployment, high population density, or a high median age. What I was left with Safety Harbor, the adjoining areas of Clearwater, Oldsmar, and Palm Harbor. Oldsmar and Palm Harbor were pushing the envelope as far as distance to downtown St. Pete. In the end, we chose Safety harbor. Yes, it is different from other places we have lived, but I'm happy. I come from Bethesda, Maryland, which can't be replicated. Downtown Safety Harbor is a little out-of-the-way pocket with limited traffic. The largest park in the county is situated along the water. There is low crime, and many other families with kids. There are plenty of activities for my kids in either safety harbor or the nearby sections of clearwater--my older daughter is already signed up for ballet and swimming lessons. There is a GREAT playground at the city park just south of downtown safety harbor. There are plenty of restaurants, and all the shopping I need in Clearwater. I run every morning in the park, and every evening I go on a walk with my family. We're close to EVERYTHING. Remember, when it comes to real esate, it is about location. And the location of Safety Harbor just can't be beat.

There are plenty of nice homes in Safety Harbor and neighboring parts of Clearwater. Yes, there are some smaller, older homes and mobile homes as well, but this is FLORIDA. Accept it. This area has a lot to offer.

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 07:04 AM..

Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 12,467 times
You may be interested in this North Clearwater Home - It's my home and it's for sale or for rent. Thank you

2ba - Single Family Home-1 car garage-Fenced Yard (broken link)

Old 10-25-2007, 07:43 PM

43 posts, read 239,297 times
We are temporarily living in a Westchase apt, while our home in Philly sells. After being here 2 months and visiting areas, I can say that my impressions of the areas (during our visits) have not changed (good and bad). That being said, we are enjoying our time here and look forward to selling our house and buying a home in Dunedin.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:41 AM

4,500 posts, read 6,561,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjtoledo View Post
We are temporarily living in a Westchase apt, while our home in Philly sells. After being here 2 months and visiting areas, I can say that my impressions of the areas (during our visits) have not changed (good and bad). That being said, we are enjoying our time here and look forward to selling our house and buying a home in Dunedin.
Glad to hear you are here now. Welcome to Tampa Bay!!!
Stroll down Linebaugh Ave towards Oldsmar, turn on Tampa Rd. right and get to Eastlake business, past Target you will find the back entrance to East Lakes check out what I was suggesting. Besides Safety Harbor, Oldsmar is a very nice area for families.
Good Luck to you.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:52 PM

35 posts, read 165,415 times
Default McMullen-Booth Alternative?

McMullen-Booth is just as busy as 19 during rush hour traffic. I lived in Palm Harbor for awhile and I avoided going out on either 19 or McMullen Booth anytime after 3:30 PM. It was just too much of a hassle.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:57 PM

9 posts, read 52,043 times
Thank you soooo very much for this post!

Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 AM
RPL

2 posts, read 12,985 times
Default Tarpon Springs

I don't think you could find a better place to live, if you like being near the "water" and in a relaxed environment. The police force is exceptional and really are there for you when you need them. Yes, there are tourist's, but they are the ones ... and the "snow birds" that contribute to Floridas growth and economy. You may want to check-out Oldsmar/East Lake Woodlands .. up scale and convenient for shopping etc... perhaps more to what you are use to ? Good luck with your move ... you will experience some changes, but all positive ... RPL

Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 PM

43 posts, read 239,297 times
Today, my wife, 6 year old daughter and I took a kayak trip from honeymoon island to caladesi (not sure of the spelling). The weather was perfect for kayaking (mid 70s). It was a pleasant trip and quiet entertaining for my daughter. Once we arrived at the island I just sat and admired paradise, and watched my daughter run back and forth on the beach and do cart wheels, while my wife looked for sea shells. Sounds like a tourism commercial, but it was very real. While on the island, I was reminded why we moved to the area…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or