Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 AM

32 posts, read 49,362 times

Advertisements

I've posted before, but still researching before moving to Tampa this coming year. I'm in the Navy and getting orders next month to MacDill.

I am looking to settle once I retire after this next tour. My wife is from Spain and we love Florida--and it will be MUCH closer than Hawaii, which we have now lived in for 5 years.

I have mostly looked in the East Lake (Lansbrook) area, The Eagles golf course area, Palm Harbor, and Bloomingdale. I really like the first two and although I know there will be a commute to work, it sounds doable and worth it for newer style houses, still affordable, and seem to have some of the nicest schools. We have three kids, 11, 3, & 1. I also want to have the kids in lots of sports and martial arts. My oldest and I have been going together since she was 4.

Any feedback on Lansbrook or the Eagles? I also started looking at New Tampa at the very beginning, but gave up because it looked so far away and read tons of complaints about the traffic going in and out of New Tampa. The schools also don't look great--online at least. I just read the other day on here, however, that they are widening the roads to New Tampa, so I started looking there again. I do love the houses there and the prices seem pretty low. One thing though, the taxes seem really high there--more so than the other two areas I like. Is that because of CDDs? Are CDDs usuallly included in the property taxes shown on realtor site?

Does anyone have feedback on New Tampa and know about the supposed road construction? They did that a couple of years ago to an area here in Hawaii known for how horrible the traffic was, now it's not as much of a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times
The Eagles and Lansbrook are excellent places to live.
Can not say anything about New Tampa.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:11 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
I agree about the traffic from new tampa, I wouldnt do it.

The eagles is going to be over an hour commute for you, espessially if your going to/from during rush hour. If your willing to do that, its a pretty nice neighborehood. There is a lot of wild life there too, its very common to see dear, rabits, aligators etc right on the sides of the road or in peoples yards (deer are most common).

Im pretty sure the CDD fees are NOT included in the taxes that you see listed online. Im not sure if/what the cdd fees in the eagles are.

Lansbrook is ncie but its been a while since I was in there and i dont really know the area for schools or anything. If I remember right, there isnt a whole ton of stuff right around it like new tampa or the eagles would have to offer.

If you have any cable issues when you get here, let me know. Im on base almost daily

Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 PM

Thanks Annie and Tim! Looks like I'll keep focusing on those two areas.

I will also give the Mrs. feedback on the wildlife, but will probably have to leave the part about gators out! ;O)

Old 09-27-2011, 10:31 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
I personally havent seen more than one or 2 gators in there and there usually in the middle of the lakes. its really rare for them to bother you, I just wouldnt let my dogs or kids play right next to a lake or pond (which is obvious if you live ANYWHERE in florida). The rabits and dear are pretty cool though, you will literally see dear just walking down the street. I suppose they could injure you if they wanted to but there not agressive, just mind there own business and run away if you get too close.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
I've got a lot to say and too little time - lol!

Here's a link to the New Tampa Road Projects currently in progress: http://www.tampagov.net/dept_transpo...sitemenuhide=y. Not sure that will alleviate all the traffic but it should help (a little). P.S. Cross Creek is also in New Tampa.

In my opinion, all the areas you're researching are very nice but too far away from MacDill. Not so much distance wise as the drive time. I know you want to continue martial arts with your daughter, but it will be hard if you're driving over an hour each way every day. Maybe weekends? IDK. I wish our housing supply near the base had a better selection, but it's expensive and most of the inventory is old(er). But the schools are good and it's convenient to lots of activities!

Lansbrook, Bloomingdale, Eagles, and most of Palm Harbor do not have CDDs, but they have non advalorem taxes for things like street lights, stormwater runoff, sewage, garbage pickup, etc. Most of New Tampa has both a CDD and non advalorem taxes. Both are included in the tax bill and are collected by the county tax collector. Some agents will separate the CDD out from the annual taxes, some don't, so please don't rely on the MLS to tell you. I'd also suggest if you don't know how already, to learn how taxes are calculated. To its most basic form, real estate taxes are calculated based on your purchase price, minus any exemptions (homestead), times a millage rate, plus the non advalorem...and real estate taxes are paid in arrears. You can learn more here --> Hillsborough County Property Appraiser. Each county has a separate property appraiser, but the previous link is for Hillsborough County for your convenience in researching New Tampa.

Thank you for your service.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 09-27-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,922 times
Eagles when I lived there did not have CDD...they have HOA's for the entire community which includes garbage and then another fee for the specific area you live in! I can't remember what they were($)but I remember thinking they were reasonable.I think under $1500 for both as of 2008.They may have gone up! My one complaint with the Eagles was the childrens playground and tennis courts were not well maintained! But again I haven't been there in over 3 years.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Thanks Irish.

Karen, I am wondering about the drive, but am thinking an hour or less might be acceptable. I've done it in the past, but I'm looking at this next house as my retirement home--something I plan on keeping for a long time.

I have looked in the nicer areas closer to the base, but everything has been old, not modern, very pricey, and did not have the things I'm looking for. My first priority is great schools for my kids, but after that, I want to live in a nice area with a beautiful modern house. Because of the retirement, I'm being picky, so I want a place with a pool for the kids and a 3 car garage for daddy. Some time of bonus room would be good too.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:26 PM

305 posts, read 610,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbuckl View Post
Thanks Irish.

Karen, I am wondering about the drive, but am thinking an hour or less might be acceptable. I've done it in the past, but I'm looking at this next house as my retirement home--something I plan on keeping for a long time.

I have looked in the nicer areas closer to the base, but everything has been old, not modern, very pricey, and did not have the things I'm looking for. My first priority is great schools for my kids, but after that, I want to live in a nice area with a beautiful modern house. Because of the retirement, I'm being picky, so I want a place with a pool for the kids and a 3 car garage for daddy. Some time of bonus room would be good too.
Did you look into Valrico? I know they have some good schools there. I myself, am looking into Lutz and East Lake.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 PM

NYPhinfan13,
I have been looking a bit into the Bloomingdale/Valrico area. I like that they have the bus route to the base, but seems that unless you're right in that neighborhood, it'd be pointless to drive a ways, just to jump on a bus. I like some houses I've seen, but not a ton that are how I'd want. Still, that could be a possibility.

Why are you looking at Lutz and East Lake? Where are you going to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay