U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,289,062 times

Advertisements

I don't think that some of us are saying that you might not have a bad commute, but there is no way that it is #4 in the nation. In Chicago, it would be 1.5-2.5 hours to go 20 miles in rush hour (and with a wreck, I've had it take over 3). Tampa just can't compare to that.
Also, gas here is expensive, but about $1 less/gallon than in the north.....so again, it may be expensive (not saying that!), but still....#4!? no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:30 AM

142 posts, read 628,867 times
You really can't compare Chicago with Tampa. For one thing, Chicago has got a more established public transit system compared to Tampa. We only have the bus, and that does not even cover most of the bay area suburbs. The bus schedules and routes are also not optimal. It would take me 2 hours by bus to get to work compared to driving there in 35 minutes.

You also have to realized that there are two major toll roads that lead to downtown Tampa and to the bridges that connect Clearwater and St. Petersburg. From North-South, you have the Veteran's Expressway. From East-West, you have the Selmon Expressway. If you've ever driven on these roads during rush hour, they are readily packed with cars. One can easily avoid the toll roads, but many choose not to because other public roads take you off route and are also packed with traffic.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,289,062 times
Again, I'm not suggesting that there isn't bad commuting in Tampa. The point is that the article said that it is the 4th worse in commuting....there is no way. That's the point. Not that it isn't bad, but the article I think was a bit wrong. BTW, in Chicago, it would take about 2 hours for me to get to work via train or buses (10 miles) or 1 hour to drive in rush hour....

Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 AM

471 posts, read 1,509,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Again, I'm not suggesting that there isn't bad commuting in Tampa. The point is that the article said that it is the 4th worse in commuting....there is no way.
Unless I am reading a different article, there is NOTHING in it about Tampa being the 4th worst in commuting. It refers to the EXPENSE of commuting.
Intentional or not, the title of this thread is very misleading.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:49 PM

277 posts, read 274,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
See for yourself and decide: does Tampa really have a horrible/expensive commute or not??

Most expensive commutes

#4: Tampa, Fla.

Percent of expenses spent on transportation: 20.4%

Hours of annual delay per traveler: 46

Nation's most expensive commutes siphon 20% of income - Buy a House: MLS Listings & Home Buying Tips - MSN Real Estate

My commute is only 15 minutes and 5 miles away. Traffic is not a major issue for me being that I drive up and down WestShore to get to work and get home. I know others spend countless hours on the roads though. I have friends that live in Land O Lakes and Lutz and they take over an hour to get to the WestShore Business District. I really do not feel sorry for them though. No one told them that they have to live out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:23 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,600,441 times
Well....I drove my 1999 Ford Taurus when I lived in Dallas, when I lived in Houston, when I lived in Ft Lauderdale, and now in Tampa. Averaged a tank of gas a week in every city. Lived about 15-20 miles (one way) from work in each city. No difference in cost. Car insurance went down from Dallas to Houston, up from Houston to FLL, and down from FLL to Tampa. So I really haven't noticed a big difference other than in drive time - it's definitely easier and shorter for me in Tampa, even during rush hour.

Of course, if that article is factoring in the cost of all the high end vehicles that drive around here (do you REALLY need a Hummer for Tampa traffic???????) then maybe Tampa is more expensive.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 AM

58 posts, read 231,320 times
A few observations:

"From East-West, you have the Selmon Expressway. If you've ever driven on these roads during rush hour, they are readily packed with cars." I drive it every day and haven't seen a buildup since end of '06. The toll sux, but works better than sitting on the free-bottleneck malfunction junction burning up gallons of gas.

I agree with the post above about car expense. It seems that everyone has a gigantic SUV on the road here. That makes gas move expensive.

I would somewhat agree that commute times in the Bay area, but like one poster said above, I don't feel sorry for most people. For some reason (and I see it on this board a few times a week), people come to the Bay area without employment and just pick a place to live. Tampa Bay has a much more regional economy than most cities and jobs are very spread out. People going from Fishhawk/New Tampa to Westshore or from Westchase/Town n' Country to Brandon are crazy. In my opinion, that creates a larger deviation from most cities.

I've personally found the commute that is relatively short, inexpensive and that works with my lifestyle. There may be another part of the city that I enjoy, but I don't like anywhere else enough to alter my drive to and from work.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:40 AM

112 posts, read 448,915 times
(do you REALLY need a Hummer for Tampa traffic???????)

HAHAHAAH that made me laugh

Old 08-23-2007, 04:44 PM

142 posts, read 628,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzled View Post
(do you REALLY need a Hummer for Tampa traffic???????)
I prefer driving a compact car, but Tampa has got some crazy drivers. Based on my experiences, the handicapped drive the worst followed by senior citizens and teenagers. I can see why some of these people like driving bigger vehicles.

Anyway, I've lived here for a long time now, so I'm a bit familiar with the back streets along my route. I usually take them instead of the main road because they have lesser cars on them.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:07 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,471,099 times
It's not that commutes are particularly long, but driving is the only way to get around. I live in Carrolwood and driving to the store for some milk feels like a commute. I'm looking for a town with walkable streets. I hear Richmond, VA is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or