U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,295 times

Advertisements

Just curious to hear personal stories about the why, how, & when's of people relocating to Florida.

I was born in Florida, but we moved a long time ago to the midwest area. I have visited/vacationed in Florida numerous times over the years. Only now I am ready to actually go and STAY!

So,

Where did you relocate from?
How did you relocate? (with job, no job, drive, fly....etc)
Why did you relocate? (job, no job, family, beaches, climate...)
How much did it cost for you?
&
How long did it take for you to adjust (climate, culture, friends)

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 12:41 PM

305 posts, read 523,241 times
Where did you relocate from? Long Island, NY
How did you relocate? (with job, no job, drive, fly....etc) With a job. You really should have one before you come down.
Why did you relocate? (job, no job, family, beaches, climate...) cost of living, better life for our kids
How much did it cost for you? An arm and a leg.

How long did it take for you to adjust (climate, culture, friends) Still adjusting. It's October and the temp is 89 degrees. Only been here a month

Old 10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 808,224 times
Where did you relocate from? PA.
How did you relocate? (with job, no job, drive, fly....etc) Moved for the job here. I drove down, and was flying back and forth on weekends, until the house sold, and then movers came to get our stuff and I drove the wife and the pets down.
Why did you relocate? (job, no job, family, beaches, climate...) Burnt out on the northeastern rat race and wanted somewhere with a better pace of work/life, found a job here and took it. No real winter and proximity to beaches are [big] plusses, but most of the southeast would have been fine. Not quite as southern as I'd want here, but life is much, much better down here than up north.
How much did it cost for you? Took less pay for better work/life balance, but the cost of living (including housing) is much, much lower here. New company paid for the movers and most of my trips back north, so the move itself cost very little.
How long did it take for you to adjust (climate, culture, friends) I came for the culture, so that took no time at all. Moved last November (almost a year already...wow...), so the climate was perfect then, like it is now, and no adjustment required. Apart from a few cold days, climate was awesome until about mid-June. Summer was hard, but not anywhere near as hard as a northeastern winter for me; easy adjustment. New friends took a few months, primarly because we started off living in a neighborhood full of people 30+ years older than we are. Once we moved, easy to make friends. Friends and family from up north visit more often than I want houseguests, even during summer, and the "BBI Hotel" is booked solid this winter...

Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 PM

670 posts, read 1,065,081 times
Here goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest2south View Post
Just curious to hear personal stories about the why, how, & when's of people relocating to Florida.

I was born in Florida, but we moved a long time ago to the midwest area. I have visited/vacationed in Florida numerous times over the years. Only now I am ready to actually go and STAY!

So,

Where did you relocate from? Northern VA/DC Area
How did you relocate? (with job, no job, drive, fly....etc) Autotrain
Why did you relocate? (job, no job, family, beaches, climate...) Job/Family-Cheaper cost of living
How much did it cost for you? About 2,000
&
How long did it take for you to adjust (climate, culture, friends) 5 years and still not adjusted, although I have made some friends

Thanks!!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 PM

824 posts, read 2,538,254 times
Where did you relocate from? California...Los Angeles area.
How did you relocate? (with job, no job, drive, fly....etc) :One day, ex wife and I decided LA was a cesspool and becoming worse. We packed up and drove out, I didn't have a job lined up, we lived off some savings and tried to start our own business. Didn't work too well...lol...the marriage and the entrepreneurship..
Why did you relocate? (job, no job, family, beaches, climate...) Sick of the earthquakes (Northridge just hit, and we were majorly affected), the crowds and the cost of housing at the time.
How much did it cost for you? The price of a Ryder truck and a tow dolly, gas and that's it.
How long did it take for you to adjust (climate, culture, friends) I adjusted right away, but the lack of things to do around here I'm still trying to get used to. You can only go out on a boat, jetski and sit at the beach so many times before it gets a bit boring. I'm pretty friendly, so we met people right off. The neighborhood we moved into was nice.
I don't mind it out here, 17 years later, but I miss the west. I have a few years left until retirement with my company, and I'm packing up and heading back the very next day. The area is overcrowded, not any different from the area in LA I came from, the traffic is horrendous, and the people are becoming ruder by the day because of all of it. The beaches and the climate are always a positive, but that's pretty much all it has going for it out here. Miss the mountains, the hiking and biking, and all the sights.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 PM

451 posts, read 813,220 times
Where did you relocate from?

Iowa City, Iowa (spent eight years in downtown Chicago before that, but grew up in the Detroit area)

How did you relocate? (with job, no job, drive, fly....etc)

I work from home (I own an internet business) so my work traveled with me. Wife quit real estate, now pets dogs for a very happy living.

We rented a massive Penske truck and drove 1,500+ miles to Tampa. It was far cheaper than Uhaul. We broke the trip up into three stops, one of which was at a friends house in Atlanta. The trip cost us about $2250 including gas and lodging.

Why did you relocate? (job, no job, family, beaches, climate...)

Climate... and family as well. We researched for two years and selected Tampa for climate, location, amenities, etc. We now live in a bungalow in Hyde Park in South Tampa.

How much did it cost for you?

Beyond the $2,250 moving costs, we wasted a year in a crappy rental home that allowed our dogs (one of which is partially blocked by insurance companies as an "aggressive breed", although we've since gotten around that with a DNA test). Our first year there was hellish, our house was in a PRIME location (a block off of howard and a few blocks south of platt in SoHo) but we had a slumlord for a landlord and our house was nasty.

We now live in a beautifully-restored bungalow in hyde park with an amazing landlord, a fenced in yard and in an area with walkability to old hyde park, soho, etc.

How long did it take for you to adjust (climate, culture, friends)

The climate was a snap. The summers aren't bad, they're just redundant. Same thing every day for four months. SO much better than five months of sub-30-degree hell up north. Right now, early October, is the beginning of a six month symphony of heavenly weather where every day is more beautiful than the next. The "cold stretches" here weren't bad enough last year to break out our winter jackets. It's not cold, it's just a bit tingly.

As for friends? We haven't done a very good job of getting involved, and that's our own fault. But the "friends" we have made have sucked. Our experience is hopefully isolated, but our stories have been borderline comedic. If I told you a few, you would simultaneously laugh and cry at the craziness of our stories.

That said, friends will come. The hard part is finding a place of beauty, getting there, and getting established. There are real people wherever you go, they're just more of a rare breed in South Tampa. I'm floating my own boat here, but at least our move added to that gene pool of rarity here in Hyde Park.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,295 times
Thanks for all of the answers!

Very helpful!!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,309 times
Where did you relocate from? Washington State
How did you relocate? (with job, no job, drive, fly....etc)No jobs lined up! For my husband and I it was a spur of the moment type of a thing... and we drove 2800 miles!
Why did you relocate? (job, no job, family, beaches, climate...)We wanted a change!
How much did it cost for you? We had a truck(2004 F-150, witha 5.4 triton engine) and a trailer, that weighed about 4500+ lbs. We spent about $1,100 in gas, food we spent about $200, and hotels we spent about $300, that was 5 days worth of travel.

How long did it take for you to adjust (climate, culture, friends)We have only been here a month, and we came at the end of humidity season, I think we adjusted to that fairly quickly.. The weather is amazing, especially this time of year.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,939,092 times
Where did you relocate from? Washington, DC.

How did you relocate? (with job, no job, drive, fly....etc) With job waiting for me. Drove. Wife drove in her car. We bought walkie talkies to fend off boredom.

Why did you relocate? (job, no job, family, beaches, climate...) Needed to get out of DC. Lived there all my life and needed a change. Cost of living is pretty outrageous and only gets worse, and the salaries aren't anywhere close to keeping up. Wife wanted to try a warmer climate with close proximity to water. I couldn't care less about being near the beach (prefer mountains) but I liked the idea of a warmer winter. We visited Tampa last year and liked it so we gave it a shot.

How much did it cost for you? A couple grand for movers to schlep all our crap. About $300 for us to drive our 2 cars and gas/dinner/lodging in South Carolina for the night on the way down.

How long did it take for you to adjust (climate, culture, friends) This is my first year in Florida. I'm still used to the changing of the seasons up north. Summers down here are, for the most part, not that much hotter than DC (there are a few especially brutal days though) but they're hotter for much longer and that has been the biggest change for me. I will not miss northern winters though. Ever. I could do a winter in a more arid climate out west but east coast winters are crap. Culture-wise, I miss the huge cross-section of cultures blending together that you see in DC (and the food) but not much other than that. Friends, well I have a couple down here but nobody I could consider close. People are quicker to say hello and smile down here but after that, people are a tad reserved.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,128,668 times
Where did you relocate from? Michigan.

How did you relocate? We decided we needed to move to the Tampa Bay area (long story). Three days later, an opportunity for a promotion for my husband appeared in St. Pete. He applied and got it. We drove down in two separate vehicles over three days. It was interesting. We have 6 kids.

Why did you relocate? That's a hard one to answer. We're supposed to be here, as weird as that may sound.

How much did it cost for you? I don't know what it ended up being out of pocket. Dh's company paid a lot of it~ moving truck, two 1/2 weeks in a hotel (I think.... it may have been longer, I can't remember anymore). Of course, we had deposits and things, wear and tear on vehicles, etc. Maybe $3K. If we'd ended up paying it all, it would have been around $6K - $7K.

We could have done it a lot cheaper if we'd had more time. We were given two weeks to pack up and move 2 adults and 6 kids. Dh talked them into 3 weeks.

How long did it take you to adjust? I never felt like I had to, really (aside from the time it takes to get used to where things are, etc.). I was afraid of going through my first summer, because so many people say it's so awful. For me, though, I found I enjoy it, which was nice.

It takes a while to make friends for anyone, of course. I made a point to get to know the neighbors and get involved in a couple groups fairly soon after we moved, so it didn't take long. We moved to a new neighborhood at the very end of last year, so we got to get to know more new people here.

I'm extremely comfortable here. I really love it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or