U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 PM

670 posts, read 1,064,813 times

Advertisements

All,
I have several offers (thankful for this) on the table in the Tampa Bay area. I am in the IT profession and want to know what are some of the best companies to work for. I dont want to work overtime in order to be recognized, need flexibility and an overall good atmosphere. What companies fall in these categories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 02:29 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,106,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
All,
I have several offers (thankful for this) on the table in the Tampa Bay area. I am in the IT profession and want to know what are some of the best companies to work for. I dont want to work overtime in order to be recognized, need flexibility and an overall good atmosphere. What companies fall in these categories?
As someone who has lived and worked in Tampa for most of my life, and working in IT, I would say it's terrible for IT. In the past couple of years a few BIG employers pulled out, so there are lots of good people out of work. Some of them went to work for VAR's, but there are only so many of those jobs to go around. DO NOT move here without a job, ESPECIALLY in IT.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:56 PM

34,238 posts, read 41,236,685 times
Wonder how many IT professionals were working for NASA and where they are now looking for jobs,Tampa Bay area perhaps..

Old 10-08-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wonder how many IT professionals were working for NASA and where they are now looking for jobs,Tampa Bay area perhaps..
None I would imagine... most of NASA's IT jobs were (are) in Houston or Huntsville.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 AM

26 posts, read 41,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
As someone who has lived and worked in Tampa for most of my life, and working in IT, I would say it's terrible for IT. In the past couple of years a few BIG employers pulled out, so there are lots of good people out of work. Some of them went to work for VAR's, but there are only so many of those jobs to go around. DO NOT move here without a job, ESPECIALLY in IT.
Wow what are you smoking ?? Are you kiddin me ? You must not work in IT. Too funny !!! There are many IT opportunities in the Tampa area. The companies are horrible and some that I met are idiots but hey an IT job is a job.

Jp Morgan - many IT oops, good salary and Bennys but the DBA crew I met except for the mgr were all a bunch of egoist idiots

Fidelity information systems - same deal above but again incompetent mgr and technicians

Outback Steak headquarters I just know they pay well

Public although in Lakeland probably the best IT Corp.

Amex(serve) great place but their recruiter from Lutz is clueless and an idiot

There are at least 4 - 6 more I just can't think of them off the top

Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,470,442 times
Here you go:

Best places to work in Tampa Bay 2011 | presented by Tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times

Old 10-10-2011, 03:35 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,035,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinballWhiz View Post
Wow what are you smoking ?? Are you kiddin me ? You must not work in IT. Too funny !!! There are many IT opportunities in the Tampa area. The companies are horrible and some that I met are idiots but hey an IT job is a job.

Jp Morgan - many IT oops, good salary and Bennys but the DBA crew I met except for the mgr were all a bunch of egoist idiots

Fidelity information systems - same deal above but again incompetent mgr and technicians

DTCC in New Tampa (moved down here 7 years ago bringing 350 New Yorkers with them). The environment is stressful due to constant talk of layoffs in NY and in Tampa. Husband being one that was laid off 3 years ago.

Citibank, but a lot of egos.

Ciber, HUGE EGOS, not a fun place to work!

Verizon (Temple Terrace). I know nothing of their reputation.

There is a health insurance company (I forget the name, but they are near the airport) that has IT crew. They are a TERRIBLE place to work for!

JPMorgan is not doing a lot of permanent hiring. Mostly consultants. You can only work there for 1 1/2 years. Then you have to leave for 6 months before working for them again. You must take 2 weeks off at the end of the year as a consultant. The environment is okay. Better than the previous places he has worked for in Tampa.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:

I do work in IT, and have been through many layoffs.

You mention a few companies who actually employ very few employees here, except Publix.

Why dont you mention some of the bad ones, some of these I have very personal experiences with:

PriceWaterHouseCoopers: recently laid off the majority of their IT staff based in Tampa and closed their datacenter, outsourced to India and moved their datacenter to Tampa

Franklin Templeton: Outsourced to Boulder in 2001

Chase: outsourced (or as you call it, "contracted out" their IT staff)

HSN: Notorious IT sweatshop

Household/Beneficial/HSBC: downsized, downsized, then outsourced...

K-Force, Sykes, etc, etc: all short term contractor jobs

There is a LOT of good IT talent in this area out of work... if you think this market is good for IT, you really have no clue

Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 PM

THANKS, this is great!!

Quote:

Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 PM

Would you choose Raymond James or PWC as a place of work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or