U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,122,286 times

Advertisements

TBO News Alert: Arizona tops Tampa in a bid to host the 2015 Super Bowl, the NFL decided today.

The added jobs, boost to the economy, etc would have been a nice plus.

More at Arizona tops Tampa in bid to host 2015 Super Bowl | TBO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 01:52 PM

4,158 posts, read 7,892,489 times
Shouldn't be too dissapointed since it's very likely Tampa Bay will get another SuperBowl. The reality is the SuperBowl really is a rotation between Tampa Bay, Miami, Arizona, LA, San Diego and New Orleans. Every now and than they'll leave the rotation but for the most part these are the SuperBowl cities.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:06 PM

4,225 posts, read 5,679,257 times
Eh. I'm suspicious of the true economic impact the Super Bowl creates, or any pro sport team for that matter.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:53 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,112,812 times
This is BULL ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Eh. I'm suspicious of the true economic impact the Super Bowl creates, or any pro sport team for that matter.

Despite what you may or may not believe, the impact is huge. As will the RNC be next year. Downtown will be a giant cluster****, but that's another story

Old 10-11-2011, 04:58 PM

353 posts, read 696,175 times
Of course one cannot ignore the reality that all of the cities/regions mentioned by Crane's have 5-star accommodations (including the winner, Ariz.), while Tampa does not. Let's face it: The Super Bowl is for the rich, and the rich don't like to stay at Hyatts.

I believe lack of "proper" hotels is one reason why the Super Bowl will NEVER be played in Jacksonville again. Someone should correct me if I am wrong.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
Of course one cannot ignore the reality that all of the cities/regions mentioned by Crane's have 5-star accommodations (including the winner, Ariz.), while Tampa does not. Let's face it: The Super Bowl is for the rich, and the rich don't like to stay at Hyatts.

I believe lack of "proper" hotels is one reason why the Super Bowl will NEVER be played in Jacksonville again. Someone should correct me if I am wrong.
Jacksonville was a joke, they brought in cruise ships... lol

Tampa may not have many, if any 5 star accommodations, but there are plenty of decent hotels. In fact several were built in advance of the last super bowl

Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 PM

4,158 posts, read 7,892,489 times
Accommodations do play a huge part in Superbowl Consideration but is not the only factor. Among the criteria are:

At least 20k hotel rooms within a 90 mile radius of stadium site.
An airport that can handle an influx of 100k+ in a single week.
Restaurants to feed all these people.
Entertainment options (this includes nightclubs to host all the corporate parties)
NFL standard Stadium (a must)
Mild to Moderate Winter weather or Indoor stadium
Meeting facilities (the SB committee requires a large amount of convention space)
Logistics (security and infrastructure, such as enough broadband access for the media members)
Quality of Amenities (high end hotels, high end restaurants, transportation/limo companies)

I agree that it is highly unlikely Jax will see another SB as according to the above criteria they really weren't qualified to host one to begin with. But as far as TB goes, it's my understanding that they include Orlando into their bid, this adds to the number of luxury accommodations and overall hotel rooms. The last time the SB came to TB the owners party was held in downtown Orlando as were a few other events in the Disney resort area if memory serves me right. This is not uncommon as when places like Miami or LA make SB bids they include the entire SFL or SoCal area in their bids.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,122,286 times
Quote:
Seriously. It's like having a convention come to town. 66,000 tourists spend money - hotels, restaurants, bars, taxis. And millions of potential tourists all around the world get to see the Tampa showcased - bringing people here for years after the Super Bowl.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:25 PM

4,225 posts, read 5,679,257 times
I've seen breakdowns of the "economic impact" cited by non-Chamber Of Commerce types-just like the Olympics, local governments usually loose money on the Super Bowl. I'm not saying hosting is a bad thing-I just don't think it's that big of a deal, economic wise.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I've seen breakdowns of the "economic impact" cited by non-Chamber Of Commerce types-just like the Olympics, local governments usually loose money on the Super Bowl. I'm not saying hosting is a bad thing-I just don't think it's that big of a deal, economic wise.
Local governments might lose money, but it's a winner for everyone else. Local governments lose money on everything they do, this is nothing new... they could have a gold mine and lose money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or