Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 PM

54 posts, read 165,398 times

Advertisements

Bad things happen everywhere, one incident doesn't make SP unlivable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 10:52 AM

244 posts, read 920,474 times
Gadzooks! That sounds like a hell of a time. I've lived in St. Pete for a little over a year and I frequently eat/drink downtown on that very strip. I've seen some crazy stuff, but nothing of that caliber. Usually it's the constant parade of washed up ex-frat boys with product in their hair, aging former young republicans, slutty girls with tragically short skirts, cat calls, homeless people, etc. To me it's amusing. I've never felt endangered even when people are coming up to me to ask me for spare change/french fries. All you have to do is say "no" people. That's usually enough to make someone go away. If you're assertive then they will take a hint. Also, try giving up some of your spare change every once in a while. It won't kill you. Tightwads. Keep in mind that homeless people are much more likely to be the VICTIMS of violence rather than the PERPETRATORS of violence.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Tightwads? Huh?

That'll sure get me to give up money?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Tightwads? Huh?

That'll sure get me to give up money?
No kidding! We were visiting St. Pete one day several months ago and a "homeless" man approached (he was carrying a mop and pail as props, so fooled us at first) and being the friendly people we are, said "hi" as we passed (on foot). He then stopped us and started talking, he says "You're not from around here, are you". we said no, we are from Sarasota. He then said he was homeless and people there hate the homeless and aren't friendly like us. That it was his birthday and on and on with the bs - hubby ended up giving him a buck or two just to get away and we were feeling generous that day, but geez, he was a real scam artist, like most of the "homeless" there.

I believe in helping the TRUE homeless who are down on their luck and need some temporary help to get on their feet, but most of the ones in St. Pete are shiftless druggies who don't want to do a damn thing for themselves - so much easier to panhandle.

You don't see very many of these types in Sarasota or even Bradenton - Sarasota does not tolerate it and Bradenton actually has a very nice "One-Stop-Shop type shelter to give the truly needy the help they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay