Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,077 times

Advertisements

Hello - my husband & I are planning on relocating to the area after the first of the year. I have some family that lives in New Port Richey and also in Tampa. We are both 30 and graduating from school in Dec., so we are thinking this is the best time to head down. We want to be close to the beach (well, within about 30 mins), have a lot of choices for food & shopping, and just be near a neat area. We come from a rural midwestern area so we just want something new.

Is New Port Richey a good area for younger people? I know it's about an hour or so away from Clearwater and I would actually like to be a bit closer, but I know it's relatively cheap to live in NPR. What are some other nice areas that aren't too expensive (around $1000 for rent is budget). When I visted last time we went to Dunedin, Tarpon Springs, and a bit north of NPR. How about closer to St. Pete? Would you recommend renting at first or buying a house? I know property taxes are more than 75% less than what I pay up here.

I just know I like the area, but there are so many cities to choose from that I have no clue where to move. Any input is great, and let me know what I forgot to mention.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,984 times
Just about any place in the US is a better place to live. I moved back a couple of years ago and have hated it. It's too overpriced. Being near the beach and Disney's not a valid excuse for living here. Use to hear that all the time in NC and when I moved back here. Just my 2 cents

Old 10-17-2011, 10:53 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
New Port Richey is not what you are looking for.

Rent first, than buy. Figure out what areas you like and the lay of the land before making a huge investment. Prices on homes aren't going up any time soon so you're not gaining anything by purchasing when you first get here. Live here a year than buy.

If you are looking being near the water you should look as far North as Dunedin and as far south as Seminole. Spend some time and drive through all these areas, determine which you like than begin looking for rentals.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Go to St Pete Beach and start looking.Moving to NPR is a waste of time if you want to be near water and beaches, NPR is basically miles and miles of sprawling developments of single story detached dwellings where the nearest beach of any size is an hour drive down your worst nightmare Hwy19 to Clearwater.NPR? its about traffic,shopping and bungalows.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,077 times
Thank you. NPR really isn't my ideal place at all and the traffic was horrendous going to Clearwater. I loved Dunedin but I heard it was pretty pricey. Never been down towards St. Pete - what are some good areas down there?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:41 PM

46 posts, read 159,394 times
I live near downtown St. Pete off of 4th St, and I love it. My rent is incredibly cheap for a 2br, there is a "beach" at the end of my street (except it's the bay and not the gulf so no swimming), and the drive to a real beach is short. I also like being centrally located near 275, restaurants, nightlife, etc. My only gripe is that I do not like Tyrone Square Mall/it is far, and other retailers like Target and the pet store are a bit of a drive.

If you want to be at the beach, maybe try Pasadena? Right next to St. Pete Beach and Treasure Island but not as expensive.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 PM

46 posts, read 159,394 times
Clearwater can be cheap too, but I feel like Clearwater doesn't offer as much to residents as St. Pete and Tampa do.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds6 View Post
Just about any place in the US is a better place to live. I moved back a couple of years ago and have hated it. It's too overpriced. Being near the beach and Disney's not a valid excuse for living here. Use to hear that all the time in NC and when I moved back here. Just my 2 cents

You're right. I'd much rather live in Camden, New Jersey or Pierre, South Dakota. I hear those are both fine places and I will up and move there without doing any sort of research, instead relying on word-of-mouth and preconceived notions.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Try not to move anywhere near the Montagues.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:09 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
You could look around Holiday, south of Moog Road and west of US19, around the Gulf Trace and Key Vista communities. There's not a lot of retail (actually, US19 is ugly), but this area is closer to Clearwater beaches and your relatives. So geographically it matches what you asked for.

In the Clearwater area, look around the Countryside Community.

And as others suggested, you should rent and learn the area before buying. It's much easier to move after a 12-month lease than it is to sell a house in an unsure economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay