Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:43 AM

243 posts, read 1,206,853 times

Advertisements

In short, got out of the snowy cold of the north. The wife, kids and I decided that our trial run down here after a year was a good one and we will make the move permanent once our lease is up in June 2012.

Call me crazy, but some parts of FL just are not what one envisions. I live in Palm Harbor, inland, just off east lake road. Great area...but it isnt Florida to me. It isnt close to the water, the local places to it on rt 19 are just too commercial. The wife and I like crystal beach, ozona, etc. We like restaurants like Ozona Blue, Ozona Pig, and the whole scene in downtown Dunedin. That to me is Florida. Ill head up to Trinity for example. Great new area, fresh, wide open, nice homes.... but there is no essence of being on the gulf there. Florida to me it is about being close to the water and enjoying what the locals bring to that culture. Art, food, shops. I dont want commercialized options. I do want to get my morning coffee at at the locally run coffee place and see familiar faces.

What other areas are there around Tampa bay that are close to what we "like" above? We have driven down to Sanibel ( way to expensive) and fort myers beach (nice, but to run down). They have the "likes" for us too. Not opposed to Safety Harbor, Oldsmar, etc either.

Am I in the wrong area or am I asking to much of an era perhaps "long gone"

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyJ View Post
In short, got out of the snowy cold of the north. The wife, kids and I decided that our trial run down here after a year was a good one and we will make the move permanent once our lease is up in June 2012.

Call me crazy, but some parts of FL just are not what one envisions. I live in Palm Harbor, inland, just off east lake road. Great area...but it isnt Florida to me. It isnt close to the water, the local places to it on rt 19 are just too commercial. The wife and I like crystal beach, ozona, etc. We like restaurants like Ozona Blue, Ozona Pig, and the whole scene in downtown Dunedin. That to me is Florida. Ill head up to Trinity for example. Great new area, fresh, wide open, nice homes.... but there is no essence of being on the gulf there. Florida to me it is about being close to the water and enjoying what the locals bring to that culture. Art, food, shops. I dont want commercialized options. I do want to get my morning coffee at at the locally run coffee place and see familiar faces.

What other areas are there around Tampa bay that are close to what we "like" above? We have driven down to Sanibel ( way to expensive) and fort myers beach (nice, but to run down). They have the "likes" for us too. Not opposed to Safety Harbor, Oldsmar, etc either.

thanks!

I hear ya. We have been here for a little over a year and we kind of have done the opposite. We moved from being close to the water to being more inland. We loved being close to the water and miss it, but we could not find a home that met our family needs in our budget over there so we had to move more inland.

To get the lifestyle you are looking for you need to live almost on the water. Bascially, the closer you are to Gulf Blvd the better. You may want to check out the Inidan Rocks Beach. Sounds like something you are looking for.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:43 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:

thanks!
Have you checked out Sarasota/Bradenton? It's where we live and you can find a lot of that here. Best beaches on the Gulf Coast, too. You would really love Bradenton Beach on Anna Maria - lots of waterfront restaurants, little cafes and artsy people. City of Bradenton is on the wide Manatee River and is improving by the day - new Riverwalk there will be done next year. Sarasota has a great vibrant downtown, is on the Bay and is just over the bridge to St. Armand's and Lido Beach on the gulf. Check it out!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
exact same situation here. wife and i have been in tampa since march and while there are certain things about the city, it does not feel like florida until we go out to the gulf beaches. if we decide to stay here long term (most likely not), we'd probably look into safety harbor, sarasota, or pack up and move to the east coast (palm beach area).

Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Check out the Ozello, Crystal River area. Theres some decent resturants, shops ect. Theres a small beach , nothing as big as further south. There's a nice atmosphere up that way.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 PM

272 posts, read 606,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Have you checked out Sarasota/Bradenton? It's where we live and you can find a lot of that here. Best beaches on the Gulf Coast, too.
Siesta Key is like walking on sugar.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 PM

243 posts, read 1,206,853 times
The few times we get out to the waterfront, it just seems like that is the reminder as to why we moved down here.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I would agree with Ken E. Take a trip up the gulf coast north of Hernando County. You may find the
FL you are looking for there. Crystal River, Homasassa, Ozello.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
The few times we get out to the waterfront, it just seems like that is the reminder as to why we moved down here.
I think it's pretty common for people who live here not to get to the water as much as they'd like.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,729 times
we are relocating back into the region (former native floridian raised in tampa, lived in tampa bay, lakeland and east of orlando). we are searching for a canal water access (gulf vs bay side preferred) smaller (2000 sf+) home with a quaint feel and similar community with close access to major airport TPA / SRQ. just our perception from a brief weekend relocation trip in late march 2012. we contacted a realtor in dunedin who provided listings from clearwater north into new port richey. we started by heading north; with the undersatnding of lower property taxes (pasco co.). during our drive the climate on hwy 19 heading north was unimpressive to say the least. mostly old vacant shopping centers, check cashing / loan businesses, pawn shops & xxx private booth = skid row. we looked around NPR ending our day in gulf harbor community. we love the limestone canals vs dredged; clear water leading quickly out to the gulf. there were also some very nice homes, sme in transistion and some abandoned. this translates into opportunties for the brave. but all that surrounds this area appears to be low rent and lacks proficient county planning and hoa involvement. in general, we could not visualize this as a quaint, ride your bike down to get a cup of java enviroment. too bad because there are deals to be found on these great canals in gulf harbor. we feel it would be a gamble to invest into gulf harbor no knowing how the surrounding communities will develop possibility toward a path resembling dade county / miami. we will continue our search by starting in dunedin today and heading south. maybe something in northern clearwater (bypass st pete region) going toward bradenton / sarasota. we'll see what we find. any input would be welcomed. we are planning on short term rental while we search for properties to purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay