Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:36 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times

Advertisements

Here's one reason to move back: it's almost winter. That blue and purple will coming to you soon!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
...pay was lowered, jobs were scarce, and employers knew it (and took advantage of it). job requirements tightened up and hiring managers put applicants through a meat grinder of questions and technical interviews. that's the thing about going on interviews here that drove me nuts. the majority of positions for which i applied wanted skillsets that were, in most markets, found among an entire team of people (ie - sys admin that's also an oracle dba and a senior network engineer... give me a break).
Exactly...

We want an Exchange admin that also is a SQL DBA, knows Cisco, VOIP and will handle all AD, users/groups admin and desktop support for 40k salaried 60+ hours/wk, lol...

Old 10-20-2011, 11:39 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
People with that much information are only worth that much? wow..Im glad I didnt take that route!!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
People with that much information are only worth that much? wow..Im glad I didnt take that route!!
his example is a bit extreme as far as the low salary but not as far as the list of requirements.

20some interviews; almost every one of them would spring a "surprise" set of extra requirements for the position during the technical interview(s) that made me roll my eyes.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:04 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
Thats insane, I figured those guys were atleast in the 70k range or something. That seems like a lot of knowledge to have.
Although my opinion of most IP people isnt too great, most i deal with tend to fix one thing and break another. 10 trips later it may work as good as it did before they touched it the first time lol.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:06 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Thats insane, I figured those guys were atleast in the 70k range or something. That seems like a lot of knowledge to have.
Although my opinion of most IP people isnt too great, most i deal with tend to fix one thing and break another. 10 trips later it may work as good as it did before they touched it the first time lol.
there are a few in that range. literally... a few. and you better believe the # of applicants is in the several hundreds to possibly thousands.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 PM

175 posts, read 352,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
there are a few in that range. literally... a few. and you better believe the # of applicants is in the several hundreds to possibly thousands.

I have no doubt that your correct. Any comments on the sector breakdown of available positions? Are you finding that many of the advertised IT positions support healthcare and finance or is the spectrum broad?

I work in finance up here and have several years experience supporting various software trade management/settlement software, the servers on which they run, in addition to run of the mill enterprise management of AD environments, exchange, SQL, citrix, as well as hardware, switches, firewalls etc.

I don't have my heart set necessarily on finance, although I appreciate the stress and emphasis of maintaining high availability that comes working with portfolio managers and traders. It helps me avoid mistakes and makes me a person who appreciates precision.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:47 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times
No IT jobs in Tampa Bay? Several just this week alone...

IT & Telecommunications jobs in Tampa fl,*Page 1 of 2 | ComputerWork.com

Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 PM

Here is another link with IT jobs in Tampa. No jobs? Hardly.
http://jobsearch.monster.com/jobs/?q...-Florida&cy=us

Old 10-20-2011, 06:09 PM

There sure is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Lots of disinformation in this thread... lots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay