U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:59 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,381,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
A million flies can't be wrong.
The millions who followed Hitler were wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 08:40 AM

540 posts, read 1,201,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Yeah Wouldnt want to be mistaken for one of those occupiers! better to be one of those quiet reserved football fans huh

Love the pic. That's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I like Ann Coulters quote
I can't stand that guy

Old 10-22-2011, 07:04 PM

19 posts, read 107,767 times
a bunch of liberal loonatics

Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM

11,456 posts, read 12,692,240 times
Yes, they are all "liberal loons", an absolutely astute analysis.

In the meantime Citibank just settled a lawsuit (much similar to Goldman Sachs) because they pumped these toxic securities to their investors while shorting them at the same time. They knew what they had was dog shyt, and the end result was America's 401ks getting burned to the ground; millions of Americans unable to retire because of it. If that isn't corporate greed, then I don't know what is.

As a way of saying thanks for their bailout money BOA decided to start charging everybody for using their debit cards. These same banks broke the law while robo-signing away to expedite (illegally) the foreclosure process of millions more Americans.

These crooks flushed this economy down the toilet, but what do I hear? Armchair admirals who can do little more than beat their own chest, announce their supposed accomplishments (so many wealthy business owners online that have time to post all day), and look further down the ladder to find somebody to berate.

This group may not have a distinct or cohesive message, and you may not agree with how they go about it (free speech got ya down?) but there is a reason this movement has touched people in countries all over the world. It has absolutely nothing to do with your low brow straw man arguments either. Everybody here has felt the squeeze from corporate greed in some aspect of their life, be it HMOs who won't pay after taking your money, banks who add on junk fees, credit cards that jack the rates for no reason, or watching your retirement go down the drain.

You have every right to disagree with what these people are angry about, but you do not have the right to redefine it and then attack that premise.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:40 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,890,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I like Ann Coulters quote about the occupiers......they need THREE things......a shower, a job, and a point. (okay, might have been paraphrased). But thankfully the group is getting smaller and smaller at Curtis Hixon every day.
While the great thing about our country is the ability to protest it seems, as pointed out, that this group is really too all over the place and some are there just to protest even if they don't know why.

There are changes needed at the highest government levels all the way down to the lowest government levels and especially in the tax code. I just don't think the Occupy group is organized or focused enough and will lose steam.

I applaud those that went out there with a purpose but those that went out just to protest without a clue as to what they were really protesting do annoy me. When I was in St.Pete last week it was easy enough to pick out some of the protest because we can protest types as opposed to those that knew why they were there.

All that being said, they can protest to their hearts content but they need to get more defined to be taken more seriously and get more of a following. I know the protests have grown in the early stages but will they sustain.

And thank you for the picture, it reminded me I hadn't listened to Motorhead for a while so I threw them on to listen to as I typed this. Of course I started with "Eat the Rich". Not to be confused with Aerosmith's "Eat the Rich" which is good in it's own right.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
I suppose I should have clarified private schools as the extreme. The cost to go to UM for 1 year is near $40,000. This is dangerous

University of Miami Tuition, Costs and Financial Aid - CollegeData College Profile
With the number of public universities in Florida using a private one as an example doesn't give a clear picture, as previously pointed out.
It is easy enough to come out of UCF, USF etc with a BA owing less than $20,000 and even less if you work during that time. This would be for a student who applied themselves in H.S. and got the Bright Futures scholarship along with a few assorted smaller ones which are easy enough to come by.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 AM

1,798 posts, read 2,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
With the number of public universities in Florida using a private one as an example doesn't give a clear picture, as previously pointed out.
It is easy enough to come out of UCF, USF etc with a BA owing less than $20,000 and even less if you work during that time. This would be for a student who applied themselves in H.S. and got the Bright Futures scholarship along with a few assorted smaller ones which are easy enough to come by.
The kids are going to have to start staying with their parents and going to commuter colleges such as FAU or USF. To send your kid to some far away college town so they can stay drunk and stoned, well the money just isn't there for that anymore. Of course this involves a whole change in the parent-child relationship.The college experience will be about getting a useful education, not sowing your wild oats.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:50 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,107,165 times
agree - many college kids, 20-somethings believe they're owed the same lifestyle that their parents and grandparents worked so hard to obtain......time for them to face the facts of life.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
The kids are going to have to start staying with their parents and going to commuter colleges such as FAU or USF. To send your kid to some far away college town so they can stay drunk and stoned, well the money just isn't there for that anymore. Of course this involves a whole change in the parent-child relationship.The college experience will be about getting a useful education, not sowing your wild oats.
I guess if you don't raise your kids right they might go to college and stay drunk and stoned.
Yes, with the current economy it may put some in the situation that they can't send the kids away that normally would but if someone is in that kind of financial situation then the kid will also have access to more grants.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:33 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,946,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
My issue is with the removal of consumer protections given to any other unsecured loan. In this country student loans are the only loans exempt from bankruptcy protection, statutes of limitations, refinancing rights and fair debt collection practices. I think this is wrong and produces a system where lenders can encourage universities to increase their tuition to unsustainable levels and then prey on the students who are trying to better themselves. The increasing cost of higher education is not sustainable and I'm not sure what will happen when this bubble bursts.
"Prey"?

No one is being forced into a high-cost university education. What is going to change are students paying $150k or more for a degree that has absolutely zero value in the marketplace. Freshly graduated engineers can easily make in the high five figures. Is that a bubble?

Also, those "lenders" are the Federal government. They have been systematically shutting out private banks to keep it government-run. Are you arguing that the government should start limiting access to student loans and grants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay