U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:43 AM

5,706 posts, read 8,108,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Oh no! This is way too close to my home. I am not a Whole Foods lover because I have shopped there only a few times. However, now that it will be so convenient I got a feeling my grocery bill and quality of food is about to increase!
I see you've acclimated to FL quite nicely. That's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 29,494 times
We will be re-locating to Land O Lakes in the next month. Are there any farmers markets, fresh fish markets, etc. that anyone can recommend close by?

Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,867,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahz627 View Post
We will be re-locating to Land O Lakes in the next month. Are there any farmers markets, fresh fish markets, etc. that anyone can recommend close by?
Fresh Markets
Let me google that for you

Farmer Market
Let me google that for you

Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,252,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I find it despicable the back-biting about Whole Foods regarding how expensive they are, about how their standards aren't good enough, blah-blah. Where is the indignation for supermarkets who import vegetables and fruit into an area that produces tons of it but area farmers have to accept the lowest bids from whomever to unload it because Publix, Sweetbay and others won't buy it. But you'll willingly dump your hard earned dollars at the feet of companies like this who don't give squat about local agriculture and jobs and throw Whole Foods under the bus. Without Whole Foods we wouldn't be having this conversation because most likely their wouldn't be a Greenwise (which by the way Publix has like three of) and we would be stuck with veggies from Mexico and California, fruit from Chile and god knows where else. Not to mention our "farmers markets" where fake farmers sell the same produce Publix and Sweetbay sell under the guise of farm-fresh to the gullible populace who lives here and think its the real thing. Where is the outrage at that and those who run these markets that allow it to happen? Furthermore, unlike Publix and Sweetbay, Whole Foods pays their employees a living wage and decent benefits which should stand for something which is why the company is routinely voted among the best companies in the country to work for. But apparently like much else in this state it's not about ethics or standards, rather how cheap is it and how does it affect ME.....sickening.
It's kind of funny how people complain. If you think it's too expensive don't buy it. I pay more to shop at target and that doesn't even benefit my health or the environment.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:14 PM

353 posts, read 695,872 times
Hmmmm, I would like to know who peed in KYLE19125's cornflakes?

If you think Whole Foods is god's gift to supermarkets, then by all means shop there. But don't go telling people where they shouldn't shop. Lord knows that Whole Foods has plenty of skeletons in its closet, just like Publix, Sweetbay and other chains. Whole Foods is run by a card-carrying capitalist (Republican, by the way) just like any other corporation. They wanna make as much money as possible ($22 parmesan cheese, anyone?); they don't care too much about making sure you have access to a locally grown green pepper (in fact, most of the time, the local produce they have is, well, ZILCH).

Also, you may wanna do some reading about all that locally sourced produce from Florida you think is so great. 99.9 percent of it is so full of pesticides it could kill small birds. (Read Tomatoland by author Barry Estabrook). After reading Tomatoland, I'd take a California tomato any day over a Florida one. California doesn't have to dump gallons of chemicals on their tomatoes like Florida does in order to grow them.

But that's neither here nor there, because I grow my own veg (organically).

PS: For the record, I also agree that the South Tampa WF is subpar.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:23 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,252,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post

If you think Whole Foods is god's gift to supermarkets, then by all means shop there. But don't go telling people where they shouldn't shop. Lord knows that Whole Foods has plenty of skeletons in its closet, just like Publix, Sweetbay and other chains. Whole Foods is run by a card-carrying capitalist (Republican, by the way) just like any other corporation. They wanna make as much money as possible ($22 parmesan cheese, anyone?); they don't care too much about making sure you have access to a locally grown green pepper (in fact, most of the time, the local produce they have is, well, ZILCH).

Also, you may wanna do some reading about all that locally sourced produce from Florida you think is so great. 99.9 percent of it is so full of pesticides it could kill small birds. (Read Tomatoland by author Barry Estabrook). After reading Tomatoland, I'd take a California tomato any day over a Florida one. California doesn't have to dump gallons of chemicals on their tomatoes like Florida does in order to grow them.

A whole lot less skeletons.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post

No one peed in my cornflakes, just expressing my opinion as people are oft to do on this forum. In terms of telling people where to shop I find it interesting you didn't have a comment to those who say not to shop at Whole Foods, slanted much? I have done plenty of reading thanks, and if you would bother to read further would note there are a number of struggling farms in Florida who don't dump gallons of chemicals on their land, which would enable folks like yourself from contributing to greenhouse gas to have your precious "just picked" unripened California tomatoes transported a few thousand miles...

Here's a few examples:

Sweetwater Organic Farm | Building community from the ground up.
urban oasis hydroponic farm - all natural produce grown in tampa, florida
SEVEN BASKETS FARM
Steed Farms Blog
Produce
Harmony Hollow Farm
Magnolia Organics > Home
Sweetfields Farms

Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 PM

286 posts, read 917,885 times
Hm, I like our Whole Foods and the staff is great. Oh well.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:26 AM

353 posts, read 695,872 times
Nope, I don't judge people on where they shop. People should shop where they want. Don't be naive. No enterprise is innocent, not even the enterprises on your list. By the way, I belong to Sweetwater, and most of the time, the produce from them is substandard. So I grow my own veg, as I said.
If you would do some further reading you would also learn that a major reason a lot of these local organic farms are struggling is because they are going chemical-free in a very brutal climate.

I don't prefer Cali tomatoes. I was just pointing out that the Florida climate is a killer for tomato growing (most veg, really) and requires a lot of chemical, while the California climate is ideal for tomato growing and does not. The only tomatoes I eat are those I grow.

But if someone wants to buy Cali tomatoes at Whole Foods, I am not gonna get my panties in a twist about it like you.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:33 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,345,893 times
We will probably try this new Whole Foods some day, although it doesn't sound like the store will open soon.

Meanwhile, I'm new to Pinellas (Dunedin). Where does one go to buy meat that's hormone-free, etc., free-range chicken, eggs? Milk with no BST (it's banned here in Canada).

Here we have several terrific local butchers where we can get most of these things. Where are we going to get them in Dunedin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay