U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 AM

34,239 posts, read 41,268,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
She did not "get picky and choosy." It was me who suggested something healthy and warm.
Read my post again(slowly), i never said she got picky and choosy.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 AM

244 posts, read 810,745 times
NQ, I would also recommend going to Metropolitan Ministries. My roommate volunteers there and they have plenty of food and resources for someone in your situation. Also, there are a number of services for the homeless and poor clustered around the intersection of Florida and Palm I believe. Right near the border of Tampa Heights and Downtown. There are a couple of shelters, thrift stores, soup kitchens, food pantries etc. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It will get better. Stay safe. I wish our society treated its marginalized, poor, and homeless better. There are so many people living on a razor's edge in this society and the social safety net is not comprehensive enough to keep average, hard working people that are on the brink of poverty and homelessness out of the danger zone. Good luck to you and your boyfriend.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,667,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
NQ, I would also recommend going to Metropolitan Ministries. My roommate volunteers there and they have plenty of food and resources for someone in your situation. Also, there are a number of services for the homeless and poor clustered around the intersection of Florida and Palm I believe. Right near the border of Tampa Heights and Downtown. There are a couple of shelters, thrift stores, soup kitchens, food pantries etc. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It will get better. Stay safe. I wish our society treated its marginalized, poor, and homeless better. There are so many people living on a razor's edge in this society and the social safety net is not comprehensive enough to keep average, hard working people that are on the brink of poverty and homelessness out of the danger zone. Good luck to you and your boyfriend.
I agree but unfortunately that's what creates a society of people relying on government to survive. I have so much respect for the OP because I feel that is the way society should be. Charities, churches and volunteers providing the temporary help to get people on their feet. In another year or so she will be MUCH better off than if she were to fall in line with the rest and just live off the government.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:59 AM

I agree that the OP is inspirational. But, please don't spread BS. VERY FEW people live off of government transfers and assistance. MOST of the people living under the poverty line are either too old to work, are sick, or are too young to work. The "welfare queen" myth has been demolished. Welfare reforms of 1996 set lifetime caps on govt. assistance and push recipients to get jobs. Keep in mind that there are few jobs to go around and many of the jobs available provide no benefits, and no chance for upward mobility.

Don't underestimate the percentage of Americans living NEAR the poverty line who are one or two paychecks away from destitution. Other countries treat their poor better than we do. That's all I was saying.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:01 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,667,199 times
Are you kidding me?

Im not going to get into this and hijack this persons topic but you really have no idea, obviously.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:07 AM

I have a PhD, I work on gathering social statistics for a living and if you'd like to get into a real debate based on statistical evidence rather than BS anecdotal evidence then I will eat you for breakfast. Empty statements about people being dependent on the government are baseless and statistically unfounded.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:10 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,110,648 times
Quote:
I have a PhD, I work on gathering social statistics for a living and if you'd like to get into a real debate based on statistical evidence rather than BS anecdotal evidence then I will eat you for breakfast. Empty statements about people being dependent on the government are baseless and statistically unfounded.
I agree with Tim, you really have no clue if you think this

Quote:
VERY FEW people live off of government transfers and assistance. MOST of the people living under the poverty line are either too old to work, are sick, or are too young to work.
I dont know how you got a PhD if you never did any real world research. Ever been out and done some direct data collection?

Quote:
The "welfare queen" myth has been demolished. Welfare reforms of 1996 set lifetime caps on govt. assistance and push recipients to get jobs. Keep in mind that there are few jobs to go around and many of the jobs available provide no benefits, and no chance for upward mobility.
No, I think the welfare queen is still very much alive and well. Go into any of our more "diverse" neighborhoods and you will find them.

Here are a couple videos to put it in perspective, some may not be work safe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzsps...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhQsRKsU0M

Last edited by crazynip; 10-29-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-29-2011, 11:30 AM

Statistics don't lie. Conservatives have used statistically unsound arguments about dependence for decades while touting the virtues of "trickle down" economics, privatization, small government, etc. It may seem counter-intuitive but RAISING taxes CREATES jobs. Every time it's been done in U.S. history it has worked. You two knuckleheads can agree with each other as much as you'd like. It doesn't change the statistical reality. The U.S. is falling behind other advanced, democratic, capitalist countries in life expectancy, average educational attainment, income disparity, infant mortality, etc. These are not my personal opinions. This is fact.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:40 AM

I'm not arguing that there aren't poor households headed by single women who are on some form of assistance. But to argue that there are people that are completely dependent on the system without having an understanding of the inadequacies of our own social safety net is just plain silly. You're pointing to the exception to the rule. Most people on assistance are honest, hardworking people who end up working part-time, unstable, seasonal jobs because that's what's available. All of the stuff I said is true. Stop your flag waving for a second and do some objective research on the subject. Do you believe the function of the state is just to protect its citizens from military invasion? Every advanced nation in the world has social programs to provide assistance to people who cannot get what they need in the market. The only reason we talk about "dependence" here in the U.S. is because "meritocracy" is one of our most prized national values. The truth is, your version of reality is based on anecdotal evidence, and mine is based on statistical evidence AND anecdotal evidence (I grew up relatively poor).

Why in your opinion are we lagging so far behind other developed countries? Just out of curiosity.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:50 AM

885 posts, read 1,264,974 times
I hate to break up this party of "I am right and you're not", but can we go back to the original poster's topic and talk about who in here is willing and able to bring her some warm meals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay