U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,114,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
When you said HOOD, do you mean lots of low income blacks?
I mean ghetto. Low income, criminals, race neutral... Drive through the area and you can get an idea of the type of people who live there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 07:45 PM

420 posts, read 749,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
South of Kennedy and North of Gandy, but how far east and west should one stay?

What's between South of Kennedy and North of Gandy? Bars, restaurants, parks, clubs, coffee shops, book stores?
SoHo (South Howard) is the place to go for bars and restaurants. It's essentially Tampa's strip for good entertainment (before I get pounced- Ybor is fun but it's trashy). A great concentration of bars and restaurants that will keep you busy. There's also Hyde Park Village (A ritzy shopping center with good dining and a few bars), Channelside, downtown, and scattered good restaurants and bars within Palma Ceia and surrounding neighborhoods. Plus the commute to base is unbeatable!

In answer to your question- bars, restaurants, parks, clubs, coffee shops, and book stores are all South of Kennedy and North of Gandy. I would narrow it down to East of MacDill Ave. to Bayshore Blvd., personally. There's stuff to do in the Westshore district, but when you live in Hyde Park, why leave?

Last edited by GoRays813; 11-16-2011 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I get the impression that most of you have never been south of Gandy.

South of Gandy, especially between MacDill Ave and Manhattan is not a very nice area, gets bad quick. Old houses and bad neighborgoods, and anything South of Interbay, forget about it... except the blocks bordering Bayshore. Old Port Tampa, which is technically South Tampa, is straight up HOOD...
Agreed. If you would read my post more clearly, you would see that I was referring to south of Kennedy and north of Gandy (more on that in a bit).

Port Tampa has popped up a lot of housing developments in the area right outside of the base. Just north of these developments, it does get seedy. I wouldn't live there due to its lack of entertainment options, but hood? That's a bit of an exaggeration. But if you're talking about the Oklahoma-Dale Mabry area, I wouldn't live there at all.

South Tampa is colloquially considered south of Kennedy and north of Gandy and focuses on the Hyde Park, Palma Ceia, etc. neighborhoods. The SOG (colloquially not part of "south Tampa" but techincally in south Tampa) is reserved for everything south of Gandy and has a bad connotation. Although the closer to Bayshore one goes, the better.

Last edited by GoRays813; 11-16-2011 at 08:15 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,848,060 times
There is public housing SOG and you can check to see how the crime rate is there, however I have relatives who live off of Dale Mabry/Okla and they have no problems since most of the ppl have lived on the street since the 60s. The houses are tiny as a rule too.

Even Port Tampa has some pocket of nice new homes now. It is an OLD area and run down in parts but it is not all bad. I have a friend who just fixed up a really old historic home in Port Tampa.

I agree with Crazy on this one. You need to drive around the area to see if you are interested.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:32 AM

You can drive around the SOG and look for decent areas, or you can devote your energy to the Hyde Park area and be fine. If you choose to go to the SOG, the closer you get to Bayshore, the better. Aside from that, there are pockets of homes but based on your previous posts and interests, your quality of life will be better in the Hyde Park area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay