U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:42 PM

5 posts, read 18,029 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job offer in Feather Sound (north St Pete) and am looking for a place to live with a realistic commute, that's family oriented, and outside the hurricane evac zone (I know, it's a lot to ask!). Love the sound of Dunedin and Seminole but they're smack dab in the evac zone so that's a no go. I've looked into Town and Country, Westchase, and Carrollwood and there are big differences between the three. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 05:12 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,934,538 times
Why not look right in Feather Sound?

There are some very nice neighborhoods. Then you have no commute.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:26 PM

471 posts, read 1,511,603 times
There are parts of Dunedin, Safety Harbor, and Palm Harbor that are non-evacuation zone areas.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 PM

4,012 posts, read 8,636,166 times
Living in Feather Sound would be worth the chance of evacuating. That's one of the nicest areas to rent in - and one of the few areas where you can walk to grocery stores and shopping. Most years, you won't have to evacuate. And if you do, and have a pet, Pinellas is the best place to be as they have more pet-friendly shelters than any other area county. Heck, my stupid county (Pasco) doesn't even have have a pet friendly shelter yet.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:57 PM

4,012 posts, read 8,636,166 times
Pinellas County has a site where you can type in an address and find out what (if any) evacuation zone it's in:

Local Disaster Preparedness

Old 08-28-2007, 03:45 PM

8 posts, read 15,397 times
Of the three Tampa communities you mentioned, Westchase is by far the most family-friendly, newest community. It boasts its own "downtown" area of sorts, has great schools and is generally conveniently located. There is also a higher concentration of new construction in that area than the other communities. Feather Sound is also a great area. It is very convenient to St. Pete and Clearwater (if you like the beaches!). If you ever did have to evacuate, you would be at the furthest area east in Pinellas County! You also need to know that the coastal areas tend to have better weather! Tampa generally has more afternoon storms east of the bay than on the Pinellas side....a general summer weather pattern!

Old 08-29-2007, 02:02 PM

112 posts, read 449,622 times
I agree why not just live in Feather Sound?? It's very pricy though.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:38 AM

33 posts, read 103,550 times
Town and country is a breed of its own, Westchase a relatively newer community VERY family friendly, also a little more pricey than Carrollwood (old $), nice homes great areas and family friendly communities.

OLDSMAR was other area that might be a good place for consideration, but it really depends on what some of your biggest desires, goals,and dreams are around the home buying process... price is another factor, but you have a big advantage right now on price, and the ability to negotiate a great deal WITH closing costs too!

I hope this helps you. Any more questions (on area or anything)?
Katrina

Last edited by kmadewell; 08-30-2007 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 08-30-2007, 09:06 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,900,148 times
IMO.. I would try to be as close to work as possible. If you live in any of the areas you mentioned the commute is going to be at least 45 min during rush hour. If there is a wreck on the bridge you could be stuck for an hour or more.
A lot of TNC would have to evacuate if there was a cat1 or2 storm, Westchase is a cat 3 or 4. I lived in Tpa for 30 years and only had to leave once when I lived in S. Tpa on the bay.. so you just never know. Check out this map.. it will show the areas of Tampa are evacuation areas
http://www.socom.mil/Hurricane/Maps/hur-map-hills.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 AM

58 posts, read 164,194 times
i would live in feather sound, you can check out crystal bay condos for rent. they are reasonable and the rent includes water sewage trash and cable. i would also highly recommend the brandon area, as you can take the crosstown expressway and it doesn't take long at all. and it's definitely a no flood area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or