U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:57 PM

13 posts, read 30,828 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am moving to Tampa and would like some advice. I'm moving from the panhandle (Destin, FL). I'm going to miss my white beaches, but I miss a metro area as well. Single straight male, 43, no kids. I'm not a fan of the typical suburbia-style of living, it would be nice to walk to frequent restaurants, groceries, etc. I enjoy being 'close to the action'.

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.
I will be working right next to Busch Gardens and the Yuengling Brewery, normal 1st shift type work.

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?

I will rent, up to $1500/mo, prefer to stay around $1000. One or two bedroom.

Are schools a concern?
No

What is an acceptable commute time?
Staying under 30 minutes is MUCH preferred, but I live on the beach now in Destin, and it will hard to not live on or by some water. It doesn't have to be the ocean, but the bay or some significant water around would be much appreciated.

What else is important to you?

I don't like suburb living, but I like safety. I don't like traffic, but I like activities. I'm not a huge nightlife person, but I like to have it around to avoid drinking and driving. Love the beach, but I think my commute eliminates that possibility. I like contemporary versus old, I like glitz and glamour versus quaint. I like people, but I SERIOUSLY value my privacy.

Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 05:07 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,137,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayl428 View Post
Yes, I am moving to Tampa and would like some advice. I'm moving from the panhandle (Destin, FL). I'm going to miss my white beaches, but I miss a metro area as well. Single straight male, 43, no kids. I'm not a fan of the typical suburbia-style of living, it would be nice to walk to frequent restaurants, groceries, etc. I enjoy being 'close to the action'.
You live in Florida already, so I figured you understood that such a lifestyle does not exist in our state...

Quote:
I will be working right next to Busch Gardens and the Yuengling Brewery, normal 1st shift type work.
Johnson Controls?

Quote:
You may find a shady apartment with that kind of budget, nothing nice, maybe a run down condo.

Quote:
Staying under 30 minutes is MUCH preferred, but I live on the beach now in Destin, and it will hard to not live on or by some water. It doesn't have to be the ocean, but the bay or some significant water around would be much appreciated.
See my above post in regards to your budget

Quote:
I don't like suburb living, but I like safety. I don't like traffic, but I like activities. I'm not a huge nightlife person, but I like to have it around to avoid drinking and driving. Love the beach, but I think my commute eliminates that possibility. I like contemporary versus old, I like glitz and glamour versus quaint. I like people, but I SERIOUSLY value my privacy.
Glitz and glamor isnt cheap, and if safety is a concern, you will have to go up a little on your budget...

Old 11-20-2011, 10:29 PM

451 posts, read 815,339 times
I suggest you disregard CrazyNip's suggestion about your budget and housing costs. I live in a recently remodeled two-bedroom house with a fenced in yard in Tampa's most desirable community (Hyde Park) and I pay less than your max budget. If you're willing to pay up to $1500 in the Tampa Bay, you pretty much have the pick of the litter.

The issue is living directly on the water, and how that will relate to your commute. If you don't have any pets, you can find a 1 or 2 bedroom condo directly on Bayshore in Tampa easily within your range. But there's no beach there. You could do something on the Gulf side of Pinellas, but you'll deal with a hellish commute every day.

Thing is, no matter where you ultimately decide to live, your budget give you an awesome apartment or condo in the Tampa Bay. Note that some people (pointing at the fellow above) are inherently negative, and it's important to weigh their opinions equally with optimists or realists like myself. Thing is, as a realist, I don't think you're going to want to live beach-side while working where you will be working. That drive and the traffic involved might make you want to give up on the beach option...

Old 11-20-2011, 11:22 PM

817 posts, read 1,926,158 times
Quote:

Are schools a concern?
No

Thanks to all.
Hey, we have white sand beaches here too...you don't have to miss the Destin beaches. Clearwater Beach is as white as any in the panhandle.

As for where to live...your desire to live RIGHT by the beach is not going to be possible and also allow for a commute of less than 30 minutes. One of those is gonna have to give.

My reco is to look for a place in the Rocky Point area. That gets you to the beach really quickly, and is less than 30 minutes to Yuengling. It's also surrounded by water. I'd think you could find an apartment in that area for $1500/month or less.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 AM

420 posts, read 750,979 times
Agreed with "thethinktank" above. What are your thoughts about living downtown? Your budget can place you in a high-rise meeting some of your needs and the commute would manageable. I like downtown and woud live there if I didn't like Hyde Park so much!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:38 AM

Thank you all for the CONSTRUCTIVE advice. lol.

Thinktank, I will check out Bayshore, thanks for the excellent suggestion! I agree, although sadly, I don't think the ocean is in my commute range. :-( Is Bayshore on the east side of the McDill peninsula? Is that doable in 1/2 hr? I like the idea of that location though!

Kevin, I hope I didn't offend. I've been to Clearwater beach about 10 times, and I just haven't seen the same color sand that I have in Destin. Sounds like I just need a LOT more experience investigating the area! lol. I will check out Rocky Point, thanks for the expert opinion! Is that just west of the TPA airport? I do see plenty available in that area if so.

GoRays, I do tend to lean toward downtown environments and hi-rise when possible, and it is definitely a major thought. Most downtowns always has something to do all day long. With traffic, I wondered how bad the daily drive can get through I4/275 though? (I'm no virgin to metro traffic, I just try to avoid it when possible) I've made the drive for a few days at a time in the past, it seems to be hit and miss on the backups? I like Hyde Park and SoHo too, I just had Bern's steak on my last trip, yum!

Thanks again for all the info!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 AM

420 posts, read 750,979 times
Quote:
GoRays, I do tend to lean toward downtown environments and hi-rise when possible, and it is definitely a major thought. Most downtowns always has something to do all day long. With traffic, I wondered how bad the daily drive can get through I4/275 though? (I'm no virgin to metro traffic, I just try to avoid it when possible) I've made the drive for a few days at a time in the past, it seems to be hit and miss on the backups? I like Hyde Park and SoHo too, I just had Bern's steak on my last trip, yum!
I try to avoid the interstate as much as possible but I don't think it will be too bad if you're leaving downtown and headed towards Busch Gardens in the morning (i.e. opposite of the flow of traffic). Maybe someone else actually does this drive and can add some value. But you'll have to do that drive anyway if you choose Hyde Park/SoHo or Bayshore. Downtown is definitely gaining its appeal though.

As far as water options are concerned, you may be able to find something on Davis Island and have water close by (but probably not water front). Same with Apollo Beach which has easy access onto I-75 but the drive may be too long. These are the two areas close to water that I can think of but I still prefer Hyde Park and downtown to these locations.

Bern's is great! I hope you made it to the dessert room; if not, make sure to try it on your next visit.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
As far as water options are concerned, you may be able to find something on Davis Island and have water close by (but probably not water front). Same with Apollo Beach which has easy access onto I-75 but the drive may be too long. These are the two areas close to water that I can think of but I still prefer Hyde Park and downtown to these locations.

Bern's is great! I hope you made it to the dessert room; if not, make sure to try it on your next visit.
Thanks, I do like Davis Island, yes, the waterfront will probably be out of my price range. (of course, I thought the same things here in Destin, and I have a beachfront 3bd/3ba penthouse for $1500/mo, so who knows). Right time, right place. I feel that Apollo Beach may be too far away from the metro of Tampa? I've only been around there once to watch the manatees at the factory.

Just the phrase 'dessert room' struck a chord with my head and stomach, so yes, I HAD to go investigate! Very glad I did!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:26 PM

15,205 posts, read 31,165,544 times
I agree with thethinktank and kevinfromTampa. I also think Kevin's suggestion of Rocky Point is a good one - there you are surrounded by water and easy commute to job or beaches. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:28 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,954,104 times
crazynip is utterly and completely wrong. If that person believes that $1500 a month will only get you an apartment in a shady neighborhood, they are probably grossly overpaying for their accommodations.

If you want walkable living, you can get a very, very nice condo rental on Harbour Island for that kind of money. Since it is a reverse commute to your job, the traffic should not be that bad. Search on "Harbour Island" on Craigslist for apartments and you will be shocked at what is available.

Crazynip, maybe you should too. It sounds like you are getting ripped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or