Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 03:18 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,274,356 times

Advertisements

Its about pride in the end! Spring, Americans used to take pride in their accomplishments and that includes how the cities used to look like! I refuse to believe that we are so overrun with immigrants that no one cares anymore! It would be very dissapointing!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:39 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,071,779 times
Actually, I was there on November 2, 2011. City Hall.

Why must it be "corporate"? Why would anyone expect "corporate" in St. Pete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I am not referring to the nicer areas that still have character...i have no problem with those...sadly those are sparse because they have been taken over by disrepair & not corporate anything!

When was the last time you visited St Pete?

Old 12-07-2011, 03:41 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,071,779 times
So putting up big buildings is going to make it look how it used to?

There are over 100 neighborhoods in St. Pete. All of them can't be
perfect.

Quote:
Its about pride in the end! Spring, Americans used to take pride in their accomplishments and that includes how the cities used to look like! I refuse to believe that we are so overrun with immigrants that no one cares anymore! It would be very dissapointing!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:50 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,283,830 times
Quote:
It may be square footage wise, but how many Skyscrapers does Miami have and how many does St Pete? (and no, they don't all need to be businesses, in Miami I counted 16 new condo's in 2008..more have been built since).
Both Tampa and St Pete suffer from wasted real estate syndrome around their downtown's.
Skyscrapers don't make a city. Look at Washington, DC. Virtually no skyscrapers in the District of Columbia, but you don't hear many (credible) people saying that it isn't a city. Skyscrapers have not been needed for almost all of St. Pete's existence. For decades, it was basically a sleepy city for eight months out of the year until thousands of snowbirds descended on the place. Just because Miami's building skyscrapers doesn't mean that they're occupied. With the market the way it is now, do you honestly expect any sensible developer to decide to build a skyscraper without any definite reason?

Quote:
I just can't figure out why is so darn important to keep that disgusting mess, rather than make the city beautiful? St. Pete more than Tampa IT IS a destination, and not just for weddings, but for the beaches and many other things...you don't get it, it is about the IMAGE of the city, someone flies in at the St Pete airport:

which has been renovated, and looks great, new carpet and all, (I had an entire photoshoot there at the beginning of this year), and then if one stays downtown, great, but one will go to John's pass and in order to do that they'll drive on that Central Ave, or 5th ave etc, and leave with a bad taste going from 400 Beach Drive to Treasure Island etc.
What disgusting mess are you talking about? And what along Central and 5th Avenue North will leave a bad impression? Central is a major commercial corridor and is lined with tons of small offices and 5th Avenue has tons of modest midcentury homes.

Quote:
You need to understand this from a visitors perspective, just cause you're so used to seeing that because you've seen it day in and day out, that doesn't make it better or good for the overall image of a city. Its like having a great business, but an awful logo, like some architects these days who think they can photograph too and all you see in magazines are skewed, over-processed photos of buildings that WERE beautiful and became awful through unprofessional photographers...same thing. You have to think about this as a brand, this is tourist state, and weather you like it or not as a resident, tourists come first because THEY are the ones bringing/spending the money there. How many times did you spend 2 nights at Don Caesar?
I understand what you're talking about, but you have to cater to the people who actually live here, too. Hundreds of everyday, unpretentious people live along 5th Avenue and most of the homes are rather well-kept. It's mostly a residential and light commercial corridor. What do you expect?

Quote:
The difference between these two cities is that St. Pete has much better/beautiful beaches than Miami, and so it should be super thriving, but it is not because of a great deal of complacency, and the "Ohh St Pete is beautiful the way it is" crap that is just a very lazy/complacent way of thinking! People come there from all over the world not just Sarasota to visit, and the impression left is not all 100% good.
I don't think it's necessarily complacency. People see what Miami has become and don't want that to happen to St. Pete, lifestyle-wise. St. Pete has hundreds of examples of Land Boom, Art Deco, and Midcentury-styled buildings and I don't think people want to see those demolished for more hollow tourist resorts or sterile condo towers.

Quote:
Port St Lucie is a large subdivision, Cape Coral is tiny, Hialeah is Central America Central, and Fort Lauderdale is/was a great party town to the east, and a huge subdivision to the west, remember I lived in SoFla for a while...

I would not call those cities the "largest" at all.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but you cannot argue facts. Those are the state's largest cities, population-wise. And those figures don't come from metro areas; those cities are ranked based on the population within their city limits.

Quote:
Miami:
Your map is a bit misleading. It includes Brickell, which, while having a very urban environment, is only questionably part of Downtown Miami. It also includes parts of Coconut Grove and The Roads, which aren't part of Downtown Miami.

Quote:
I would not make a mention of "area wise St Pete is bigger", because even if it is, it has a lot of wasted real estate, and it should be embarrassing for the mayor for leaving it looking like that, and not making enough effort to bring in the right businesses for the area. This thing with: "Let's keep it a secret" is foolish and detrimental to the future of this city.
You can call it wasted all you want, but I see neighborhoods spanning from the 1900s to the 1960s, all with their own distinct characteristics. I do think that, if the need warrants it, high-rise developments should be built around Downtown St. Pete, but there's no need for a skyscraper at the corner of Central and Pasadena.

Quote:
Not sure why you would expect anyone to admire or respect cracktowns?
Did I say that? For years now, you've been describing virtually every inner-city working-class neighborhood in the Bay Area as being "cracktown" when that's simply not the case at all.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:53 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,283,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If it ain't broke don't fix it. What is the thought process of taking old towns with character and flavor and turn them into some kind of corporate mega center?

If someone wants a mega center, there are plenty to choose from.
It's like that one poster from Europe a few months back who advocated demolishing unique and well-kept places like the Beach Theater and the Thunderbird Motel and replacing them with giant Miami-style resorts. If you want that stuff, go to Miami. Don't suck the soul out of another part of the state just because Dade County is all built up.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,241 times
I'm moving to St. Pete for work and am concerned about the crime. Based on crime reports chances of being impacted by a violent crime (rape, murder) are 1 in 17! The national average is 1 in 44. I am a single woman and now scared to death. Any advise on where I should look?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 PM

32 posts, read 49,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
I can't comment on the article as I don't know how exactly they end up with that conclusion.

I will say this: what's depressing for one may not be for others. I like living in Seattle, for example, but my wife will be depressed simply because there is no "enough" sunshine and rains a lot. I spend a good check of my life in Europe and on those countries I was, people are just depressed because it is cloudy all the time. If they see sun light, they would run out to make a BBQ. Some who can afford just simply go away for the winter.

If people loose their job and their house, it sure is depressing like hell. I wonder if this study has a track record and would be interesting to see how much of this sadness is related to the economy.

Hey, let me read another thread before I get depressed myself, !
I'm from Seattle too and my wife (from Spain) is also the same as yours. Her moods were directly linked to the weather the entire time we lived up there.

I'm moving to Tampa area this spring, probably Palm Harbor, so hopefully this will keep the manic depressants away!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,319,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oprbxk1 View Post
I'm moving to St. Pete for work and am concerned about the crime. Based on crime reports chances of being impacted by a violent crime (rape, murder) are 1 in 17! The national average is 1 in 44. I am a single woman and now scared to death. Any advise on where I should look?
What crime reports are you reading?

Your chance of being murdered is definitely not that high, and your chance of being raped largely depends on the situations that you put yourself into. Put those reports you read under some scrutiny.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 AM

28 posts, read 103,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Really? You believe these kinds of surveys?

Why do people continually post this dribble? All of these surveys mean absolutely nothing and many of them contradict themselves.
These surveys don't make a thing. I remember that Pittsburgh was once rated the best place in the country to live. I went to school there and it's cold, ugly, dirty and depressing. Speaking of cold, it's 10 degrees where I live and about to snow. If that isn't miserable, I don't know what is!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 AM

77 posts, read 138,200 times
I don't understand this whole article. Every state is suffering. Arizona is just as bad as, the rest of the states. High unemployment, gangs, shootings, robberies, housing. You can't just single out one state of town at this point cause everyone is suffering! I can not wait to get out of Arizona in the next couple of months!!! How happy you are depends on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay