Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:23 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Navy Pier in Chicago charges $20 on weekdays and $24 on weekends to park.

Are you actually claiming that the $1/hour on a meter or a $3 fixed rate that the St Pete Pier charges to park is "expensive"?

Perhaps you need to leave the area code sometime and see what goes on in the real world. Parking EVERYWHERE in St Pete (even the Trop) is dirt, dirt cheap.
Yes, I agree, parking is dirt-cheap and they also have a LOT of it! I can't believe anyone is complaining that it is expensive - wow. And we LOVE the parking lots at the Pier - for a few bucks for a whole DAY we can go and attend festivals or do anything we want without worrying about it. And I will just go on record as saying that while I don't remember the old "Million $ Pier too well, I liked it as I like the Pyramid and am now intriqued by the new designs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:54 AM

162 posts, read 388,652 times
*Sigh*...I am going to get slammed for being harsh I don't want to see a large chunk of concrete out in the water. OK, I *do* see the artistic merit..........however, not for a pier.

To me a pier should be wide open with food/snacks etc., an area for fishing, tables for relaxing out in the open, restrooms...so forth.

Small statues along the way would be a simple way to honor the arts.

I know I am in a very small minority here LOL, but I have always felt the ocean, boats and sea life should be the focus of being out on a pier, not the pier itself. Limited thinking? Likely, yes, but of course it is jmho.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 AM

36 posts, read 48,228 times
We loved visiting the pier this fall (on Thanksgiving). Definitely check it out when you can! We expected the whole area to be very quiet, but instead it was hopping. Found street parking nearby and paid the meter for the afternoon (over the phone, which was awesome). We just moved here recently and I was surprised to hear that the pier is going to be redone (again, because I thought the whole experience was fabulous that afternoon). On further reflection, I can see where some updates would benefit the town & public. But I'm already nostalgic for it.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I don't think the designers fully appreciate where they are building. They just designed things that seem great in theory. "The Lens" seems like the only one that would even be practical in reality in that it would cost less to maintain and could create usable space.

The other two are somehow under the impression that people want to swim in Tampa Bay. Downtown St. Pete does not need a beach. I mean, it's the bay... the water is kind of gross most of the time. "The Wave" has a lot of cool ideas but I can't help but imagine a bunch of employees sitting around doing nothing because nobody came to visit the indoor snowboarding hill or the Turkish bath or whatever. It sounds like a collossal money pit and a waste of space that would fall into disrepair.
Well, it looks like the panel agreed with me... The Lens won. Horay! (Forgive me if it seems like I'm gloating, but this sort of thing doesn't happen for me very often.)

I think the docks will go to good use. The bay is for boating, not for swiming.

Jury picks Lens design as favorite for new St. Petersburg Pier - Tampa Bay Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay