Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,202 times

Advertisements

I'm a junior in high school and thinking about where I want to apply to college in the next year. I'm from the midwest and I plan to go to college in Florida because I have family down there and the weather sure beats the midwest's! The University of Tampa is a school I've had a lot of interest in. I plan to double-major in Marketing and Journalism because I want to eventually work for a magazine. Is UT thought of highly in either of those areas? How is the school overall? I've seen negative comments about it from years ago, but I've heard a lot has changed since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,282,675 times
You honestly think there will be any future in magazine journalism by the time you graduate college? Do a little research on the industry before you make that decision...

Also, hope your parents are filthy rich because UT is quite expensive, and then having to pay for housing, etc

I think academically, UT is ok. It's not IVY LEAGUE or anything, but it's on-par with some of the lesser state universities in Florida.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:49 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,372,910 times
i agree. rethink your choice.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,231,199 times
OP,
Be careful who you listen to. This is just a message board; there are some "crazy" posters here that can mislead you. By the way, Univ of Tampa is an outstanding school for several programs - I'm not sure about the programs you're contemplating. Good luck with your career choice.

http://www.forbes.com/colleges/the-university-of-tampa/

http://www.ut.edu/recognitions/

There may be several threads on University of Tampa that you can find using the search function of this message board.

Good luck....

Last edited by BucFan; 11-30-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 PM

Regardless of where you go, Journalism as you may know it, or envision it, is a dead vocation within a decade.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 PM

I know several people in the industry, they figure they will not have a job in 5 years. Newspapers are going under, the rest of print media is dying at an alarming rate, TV is not hiring employees, they are starting to rely on freelancers or amateurs submitting stuff, paying little or nothing

Here, this ought to tell you something.

CNN Fires Editors & Photojournalists Because Amateurs Will Work for Free

Old 11-30-2011, 10:29 PM

7,115 posts, read 8,599,417 times
If you like Florida's warm weather and you are still a junior in hs I would try and raise your grades and take a few SAT courses and set your sights way above UT...like UF,FSU or UCF!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 AM

College life can be busy. Going to a school because of the climate was the absolute last thing I thought of when I selected my schools. Generally, you'll likely be so busy that you won't have time to enjoy the warm (or hot) weather anyway. It does make sense to be near family, though as they can be there for you if you need support/help and during the holidays when you'll want to get away from campus. Sometimes having family too close, it'll take away from your studies and will keep you from doing things with your classmates because of the temptation to visit family a lot of the time.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 AM

26 posts, read 64,780 times
My sister went to UF and my girlfriend went UT. They both loved where they went but their experiences were far different. Just opinions here, if you want a more involved education for an undergrad a private school is the way to go if you can afford it. Your class sizes are much smaller and you get far more interaction with professors. There is a reason UT is more expensive. Try seeing a student advisor or administrator at public school when you have questions. My sister had some class sizes in the hundreds and some classes were online or on her tv!? She completed her graduate degree through UF at significantly lower cost than the girlfriend did though. Not saying one school is better than the other, it's just what type of learning experience are you looking to get.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Good point. I left USF after my sophomore year because many of my classes had up to 300 people to one professor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay