Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2006, 05:33 PM

61 posts, read 242,837 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Tampa next year and are considering Catholic shools for our kids (8 & 11). They go to a charter school now and we really like it but we are wary of regular public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 06:45 AM

49 posts, read 282,595 times
Wings,
I live in the area of Tampa known as "New Tampa". My children attend the public schools here and I am extremely happy with their educational programs. However, in regards to your specific request of Catholic school information, I have several friends whose children attend Corpus Christi Catholic School. They live here in New Tampa and drive their children to that school, approximately 20 minutes away in Temple Terrace (also part of Tampa). There is also a very good charter school in Temple Terrace called Terrace Community School. It receives very high recommendations and I have other friends who send their children there. You can access information on that school through the Hillsborough County School District website. Look under the charter school section. Good luck with your move. I know moving with children can be especially challenging, as we are all concerned about good schools for our kids!

Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 AM

NHtoFLMom,
Thanks - I'll look into those. Where exactly is New Tampa? I see Temple Terrace on my map but not New Tampa.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 AM

49 posts, read 282,595 times
New Tampa is the 33647 zip code of Tampa. It is located just off of I-75, using the Bruce B. Downs exit. All of the communities in New Tampa are off of this main road. The southern tip of Wesley Chapel (33543), along Bruce B. Downs in Pasco County, is also sometimes referred to as New Tampa.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:51 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
It's a great area to raise children. Your not far from most places, yet you not in the city. I live just over the county line in Pasco county, Wesley Chapel. We were building at a fast pace but have been slowing down. It is kind of rural in both New Tampa and Wesley Chapel.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:09 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
There are many Catholic schools in the area. Tampa/St Petersburg schools are under the Diocese of St Petersburg. The website is http://www.dioceseofstpete.org/ I live in the Brandon/Valrico/Lithia area (eastern Tampa suburbs) and there are two good Catholic schools (early childhood through 8th grade) to choose from.

~ b

Old 12-15-2006, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the responses! It gives me a starting point.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 PM

134 posts, read 522,666 times
I know this information won't be of value to you now, 5 years later, but for everyone else relocating to North Tampa it might help. I am sending my kids to Christ Our Redeemer Lutheran School in Temple Terrace. It is pre-k-8th grade and is reasonably priced compared to many private schools in the area.

A lot of people love the public schools here, I am not a big fan of publics no matter what state because of the end-o-year testing...they all have to teach the test once gets get to third grade. I've tried both public and private schools (two different public and two different privates) and for our family, I believe the private school is what works best for our children both academically and socially. I like the very small class sizes and the discipline that prevents disruptions in the classrooms.

I have heard some great things about both charter and magnet schools if you can get into one!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
NHtoFLMom,
Thanks - I'll look into those. Where exactly is New Tampa? I see Temple Terrace on my map but not New Tampa.
Drive North on I-75 about 5 miles past the world's largest confederate flag, it's on your right...

Old 01-01-2012, 12:29 AM

134 posts, read 522,666 times
It is 20 min. drive in no traffic, but as I have found out driving my children from New Tampa to Christ Our Redeemer (which is right down the road from CC) that traffic is an absolute nightmare in the morning. It takes me about 45 mins. on average with bumper to bumper traffic. I would highly advise against it unless you have patience of a saint! I am going to pull my kids out next year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay