Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:14 AM

16 posts, read 27,153 times

Advertisements

Hi! Hubby and I would like to move to Tampa area in the next few years...we dont know ANYTHING about FL and Im basically here to do some research to make sure its what we really want

So...Here's our stats

We have 6 children whom we all homeschool so we arent really into the school situation but anyone with any info on homeschooling would be great

Hubbys job is overnight at walmart here...which he can easily transfer..wondering what walmarts starting pay is there in Tampa...he is fulltime here (40 hours) ...and makes roughly $12 an hour

I will need a part time job I suppose as I looked at the homes and they are double or mortgage payment here or more...So Im wondeirng what kind of part time jobs are there and how much they pay? Subways? gas stations? Dunkin Donuts? etc...are they willing to work with me as in hours? Like say...suppose I could only work a few hours in the afternoon-evening?

Looking for any info on car registrations and car insurance...

Are there any other bills I should be aware of that we most likely dont have in ny?

Is there a dump there or is all garbage picked up with a fee? If so whats the cost of both?

what does a monthly electric bill look like there? Is there a gas bill?
television? Internet/phone?

Um....

We are looking into finding a 4 bedroom home...with some yard and hopefully a garage. We arent sure about the area there...anywhere we should stay clear of? Any town or village or sub-burb type of reccomendations? We would like to be close to a DECENT walmart...whether its a super walmart or not...and also not far from activity either....but in a safe section. If we want to pack the kids in the van and go do something or go somewhere...we would like it to be within a 20 min drive to walmart.

Im not really sure what the tampa bay area is...because some of what Ive read looks as though its a HUGE section...and Ive read its a great place to libe if u have family...so much to do and safe etc...but when I see pics and stuff...There is so much...A HUGE city...lots of beach and then smaller towns...so Im not really sure what to be looking for or where to be looking. Here...where we are in NY...is just a tiny tiny town a valley with cows surrounding us on 3 sides and a bigger town on the 4th side which they might call a city but its really just a shopping center, LOL.

So...we are totally unprepared for everything...we have never even been more than 2 hours away from our home...so its a HUGE step for us! Any help would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 02:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,114,724 times
If you are set where you are now i'd stay there.
Your hubby will make minimum wage at a Florida Walmart.
You will have a tough time getting another minimum wage job as you'll have a lot of competition and i doubt they'll bend to your terms.
And if you are both working who looks after 6 kids?
1 maybe 2 minimum wage jobs and you want a 4 bedroom house in a safe community, with big yard a garage and near a beach?i dont think that will come cheap.
Other bills might include a $300+ per month electric bill as you'll probably need an air conditioner going 24/7 through 6 months of summer along with all the other electrical needs.
Most places have a garbage pickup but if not you can take it to the dump or if you live way out there you can just burn it in a hole in the ground..
Look into rural Hernando county,you might get lucky on a place and it does have at least 3 Walmarts.
Why would you want to move from a place you are set up in to a place you know nothing about?
You didnt say what your assets are but unless you've got more going for you than just a minimum wage job at Walmart I'm not sure this move is your best move..I'm envisioning at best a clapped out doublewide trailer out in the middle of nowhere a mile down a dusty lime rock road and a family state of neverending need for just about everything.
I wish you the best of luck and hope it works out..

And welcome to the forum where you'll get plenty of advice.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:26 AM

17,487 posts, read 38,955,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are set where you are now i'd stay there.
Your hubby will make minimum wage at a Florida Walmart.
You will have a tough time getting another minimum wage job as you'll have a lot of competition and i doubt they'll bend to your terms.
And if you are both working who looks after 6 kids?
1 maybe 2 minimum wage jobs and you want a 4 bedroom house in a safe community, with big yard a garage and near a beach?i dont think that will come cheap.
Other bills might include a $300+ per month electric bill as you'll probably need an air conditioner going 24/7 through 6 months of summer along with all the other electrical needs.
Most places have a garbage pickup but if not you can take it to the dump or if you live way out there you can just burn it in a hole in the ground..
Look into rural Hernando county,you might get lucky on a place and it does have at least 3 Walmarts.
Why would you want to move from a place you are set up in to a place you know nothing about?
You didnt say what your assets are but unless you've got more going for you than just a minimum wage job at Walmart I'm not sure this move is your best move..I'm envisioning at best a clapped out doublewide trailer out in the middle of nowhere a mile down a dusty lime rock road and a family state of neverending need for just about everything.
I wish you the best of luck and hope it works out..

And welcome to the forum where you'll get plenty of advice.
Great advice here ^^^ I agree with all of it.

WHY do you want to move, and why Tampa - and you know nothing about Florida. I smell a huge mistake coming here........

Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 AM

663 posts, read 1,140,708 times
Don't listen to the na Sayers.
I love Fl. I left Philly 22 years ago. I could not get a descent job in Philly. Affirmative Action was kicking my A$$. Not sure if it's still that way, but every descent job I would go for they would tell me they were trying to hire more women and minorities. I was stuck landscaping!
I moved to Fl, got a great job, found a beautiful wife and live in a modest house on the water 4 blocks from the beach. Life couldn't be better.
The only thing I would suggest is getting as far south as possible. I'm in the tampabay area, and it gets too cold for me in the winter, but then again, I think the summers are perfect.

Good luck

Old 12-08-2011, 09:53 AM

16 posts, read 27,153 times
We HATE NY! Hate everything about it. There is nothing here at all..absolutley nothing. I dont want my kids growing up here in ny where there is NOTHING. The winters are cold...the summers suck anymore...we just want to relocate into a different area...we chose Tampa becuase its warm...we want to live somewhere warm. Hubby doesnt make min wage...he makes $12.50 an hour...which is decent pay here. Im not sure what it is there..Im sure he would most likely take the pay with him....but I was wondeirng min wage becuase sometimes it may drop a bit according to cost of living...it may go up as well.

Im asking questions becuase Im trying to figure out how we can make it work...I didnt say I wanted to live near a beach either...I said I saw them in the pictures...

BTW THANKS TONY....ANy other info u can help me with?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,605,358 times
Minimum wage or not. $12.50 an hr would not be enough for 1 person to live in the bay area much less a couple with 6 kids. Do you have another source of income? The naysayers just gave you some very sound advice. If I were you I'd take it.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM

24 posts, read 63,745 times
I am wondering how a family of 8 makes ends meet on $12 an hour???? Where in NY do you live? I grew up outside NYC and then moved to central NY and could not imagine a family that large surviving in either place with that salary. Also, when I moved down here I got a job in Tampa making a bit more than $12 per hour and even as a single person I was scraping by each month and that was with only buying the essentials.

I understand you hate the cold, a lot of us do and that is how we ended up here in FL, but if you are surviving up there on that salary I wouldn't even think of moving.

I usually don't like to reply in a negative way, but I think if you moved from you current town you would be making a mistake. I know the excitement of trying something new, but moving from NY to FL is a HUGE undertaking and it can be very costly especially with such a large family.

Oh and let me add that this post is not against Florida.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,099,030 times
You will want to look and see what type of assistance you will receive her in FL. I'm quite sure it is less than in NY.

You may want to look at Texas. It is warm there and the job market is much better. Now to answer your questions.

Garbage fee, depending where you live may be included in your rent. If not, it's around $30/month.

Monthly Electric Bill, depends where you live. Mine in the summer ran $250 in a 2200SF 4BD House with a pool. If you are going to live in a 2 bd apartment you're probably looking at $50 - $100???

Television - Depends on your package. Free to $100+

Phone - Cell Phone, Metro PCS $30/month. Land Line $30/month

Internet - I Pay $50/month.

4BD house you'll find $1100 in the less desirable places. May want to look into Riverview area. Homes tend to be cheaper there. Not a bad area. Most landlords require you Gross 3X the rent per month.

Might also want to look into Lakeland, Plant City, Land O Lakes, New Port Richey, Spring Hill. I believe there are WalMarts in all these area. None of them are where I would want to live but they are affordable options.

1st time car Registration - $400, about $80 a year after that.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,596,530 times
Wait..... I have 6 kids too. How in the world do you survive at all with that income? I'm sorry; I'm not trying to be snarky but if you've somehow figured out how to make that work, do not move.

To rent a 4 bedroom in a nice area, plan for at least 1500-1600 a month, plus water, trash, electric, gas if you have it, phone, internet, tv, car insurance, etc. Your total bills are going to be quite high.

I just can't imagine it working unless you can figure out how to get much higher paying jobs. Sorry.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,230,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolenegreen View Post
Hi! Hubby and I would like to move to Tampa area in the next few years...we dont know ANYTHING about FL and Im basically here to do some research to make sure its what we really want

So...Here's our stats

We have 6 children whom we all homeschool so we arent really into the school situation but anyone with any info on homeschooling would be great

Hubbys job is overnight at walmart here...which he can easily transfer..wondering what walmarts starting pay is there in Tampa...he is fulltime here (40 hours) ...and makes roughly $12 an hour

I will need a part time job I suppose as I looked at the homes and they are double or mortgage payment here or more...So Im wondeirng what kind of part time jobs are there and how much they pay? Subways? gas stations? Dunkin Donuts? etc...are they willing to work with me as in hours? Like say...suppose I could only work a few hours in the afternoon-evening?

Looking for any info on car registrations and car insurance...

Are there any other bills I should be aware of that we most likely dont have in ny?

Is there a dump there or is all garbage picked up with a fee? If so whats the cost of both?

what does a monthly electric bill look like there? Is there a gas bill?
television? Internet/phone?

Um....

We are looking into finding a 4 bedroom home...with some yard and hopefully a garage. We arent sure about the area there...anywhere we should stay clear of? Any town or village or sub-burb type of reccomendations? We would like to be close to a DECENT walmart...whether its a super walmart or not...and also not far from activity either....but in a safe section. If we want to pack the kids in the van and go do something or go somewhere...we would like it to be within a 20 min drive to walmart.

Im not really sure what the tampa bay area is...because some of what Ive read looks as though its a HUGE section...and Ive read its a great place to libe if u have family...so much to do and safe etc...but when I see pics and stuff...There is so much...A HUGE city...lots of beach and then smaller towns...so Im not really sure what to be looking for or where to be looking. Here...where we are in NY...is just a tiny tiny town a valley with cows surrounding us on 3 sides and a bigger town on the 4th side which they might call a city but its really just a shopping center, LOL.

So...we are totally unprepared for everything...we have never even been more than 2 hours away from our home...so its a HUGE step for us! Any help would be very much appreciated!
Do yourself a big favor and stay where you are. It really doesen't sound like it would be a very good move. You said "in the next few years". Things may be better by then. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay