Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 AM

38 posts, read 66,033 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Sth Tampa and have started the long process of buying a home. A lot is said of Sth Tampa and I agree that it is great, but I truly believe that the houses there and also in Westchase are grossly overpriced.

My question is where for a 30 yr old who still enjoys the bar scene look to buy. Most important thing is saftey and then locations. Surely there must be some areas that in 5 years will be similar to Sth Tampa. HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 AM

21 posts, read 43,016 times
When we bought our home in seminole heights 5 years ago it was said that it would eventually become like south Tampa. But then the housing market crashed and it's been a long process here. But I still think this area will be the next south Tampa in time...we love it here! And you're right south tampa is ridiculously overpriced

Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM

that is what most people say but as I drive around the area and some its residents (no offense) seem a bit sketchy. Any areas in particular?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hstern19 View Post
I currently live in Sth Tampa and have started the long process of buying a home. A lot is said of Sth Tampa and I agree that it is great, but I truly believe that the houses there and also in Westchase are grossly overpriced. My question is where for a 30 yr old who still enjoys the bar scene look to buy. Most important thing is saftey and then locations. Surely there must be some areas that in 5 years will be similar to Sth Tampa.
Look at the Old Northeast neighborhood in St. Pete. You can walk/bike to a fun bar scene downtown, it's cheaper than South Tampa, the neighborhood makes great use of the bay, and it's a relatively low-risk, affluent place. It's not "upcoming" the way I'd use that term, but there's significant potential for improvement over the medium-term because the neighborhood has just recently started getting younger. And there are potential positive effects on the downtown bar scene if USF-SP continues to grow.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 AM

No offense taken. I would look for homes north of hillsborough ave and west of 15th street almost any home in the "old seminole heights" area on central ave between MLK and sligh are very nice and the neighborhoods behind them are cute and quaint. But that section is more expensive than other parts. Also stay east of the river and south of broad st. Broad st and Florida is where the projects used to be but they tore them down for some low-income or mixed income housing. It looks nicer but still seems a little sketchy to me. We live the Hampton terrace neighborhood which is right behind publix on Nebraska. We really like it. It's like a little gem in the city of Tampa. We have a baby and I feel perfectly safe here. Location is great and it doesn't FLOOD like south Tampa does!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 PM

The more I look....the more frusturated I get with this market.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:17 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
What about Carrollwood? Lots of restaurants and shopping yet some really nice houses. Traffic sucks on Dale Mabry but there are some really nice homes.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
I used to live in Tampa Heights (Ohio Ave), still own the house and rent it out. It was the next "upcoming area" when I bought in 2001. Needless to say, the only thing that "came up" was my losses due to theft. I wish I could sell the place, luckily I am not upside down, I bought the place for 50 grand, and it's worth "about" that now. Seminole Heights is right up the street, and despite what some say, it's ALMOST as bad of a "hood" as Tampa Heights. The same criminal element that likes to rob my house, also robs their houses

Carrolwood, Northdale, Westchase, parts of New Tampa are good.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Okay I grew up in Seminole heights and eventually moved back there because I loved it so much. Yes there may be some parts of it that aren't as nice as westchase or carrollwood, but it's not a "hood." there are many beautiful homes (one that is for sale for $300k two streets over from me). We have diversity and a sense of community. I have lived in westchase, citrus park and carrollwood. While all of those areas have their perks, they just don't have the same feeling for me that Seminole heights has. So don't call our neighborhood a "hood" especially when you don't even live here.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:27 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochick614 View Post
Okay I grew up in Seminole heights and eventually moved back there because I loved it so much. Yes there may be some parts of it that aren't as nice as westchase or carrollwood, but it's not a "hood." there are many beautiful homes (one that is for sale for $300k two streets over from me). We have diversity and a sense of community. I have lived in westchase, citrus park and carrollwood. While all of those areas have their perks, they just don't have the same feeling for me that Seminole heights has. So don't call our neighborhood a "hood" especially when you don't even live here.
It's surrounded by hood, is bordered on all sides by the hood, and parts of it ARE hood. If you were born there, you certainly remember those projects down by Bo's. They tore those down and built nice, new projects that dont look like projects. A lot of the former residents live there. I have many friends that bought into the area and some still live there. There are pockets of nice, but the negatives outweigh the positives. It's my opinion. And I DID live there, well, exactly 2 miles from the demarcation line between Tampa Heights and Seminole Heights. So that's close enough. I feel REALLY sorry for the people who bought in there at the height of the bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay