Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times

Advertisements

Simple Fact. Different people like different things.

OP want a more woodsy environment. She's in the wrong area of town to accomplish that.

Many people can't stand to live away from family and old friends.

Relocating to new areas is not for everyone and neither is Florida.

I am fortunate enough to where friends and family can afford to and do travel down to visit. We have at least 6 visitors come every year since we have been down here. We see and do lots of things with them while they are here and we still have so much more to see.

Been here for about 18 months now. First time in to MOSI was last week to watch Mission Impossible at the IMAX Dome with a cousin. Left the kids at home. after being there, I need to take the kids to experience this fine place. Many, many other places I need to visit as well.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,095 times
to the OP.

Tampa indeed does have a soul. You need to understand that for much of the 20th century, Tampa was a relatively small and very close-knit city. If you want the real feel and culture of Tampa, seek out some of the 'natives'. There are a large number of residents who are 3rd, 4th, 5th generation Tampans. Their numbers , though, are often dwarfed by the huge numbers of intra-US immigrants, like me, who came here for one reason or another.

Talking to them and getting a sense of the real Tampa,you'll find a city that's not the one you're seeing now.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Simple Fact. Different people like different things.

OP want a more woodsy environment. She's in the wrong area of town to accomplish that.

Many people can't stand to live away from family and old friends.

Relocating to new areas is not for everyone and neither is Florida.

I am fortunate enough to where friends and family can afford to and do travel down to visit. We have at least 6 visitors come every year since we have been down here. We see and do lots of things with them while they are here and we still have so much more to see.

Been here for about 18 months now. First time in to MOSI was last week to watch Mission Impossible at the IMAX Dome with a cousin. Left the kids at home. after being there, I need to take the kids to experience this fine place. Many, many other places I need to visit as well.
You hit the nail on the head with that. You are very fortunate that your family can afford to come for visits. That makes all the difference in the world. One of the reasons we moved back north was to be around the kids and grandkids. On a good year when the money was flowing we were able to see them a couple times a year and for us that really wasen't enough. Your'e a lucky guy. Enjoy it while it's new.

Last edited by Ken E; 01-03-2012 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 01-03-2012, 11:31 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times
$4000 a month???? What the heck are you trying to rent? One of those mansions on bayshore boulevard? lol. And Tampa is not as expensive as Chicago, and Atlanta is CHEAP!. In fact, ever since the housing market crash, you can get steals in Tampa compared to what they were going for back in 2007.

If you want more of a community feel, with big yards and good schools, then go look at housing in Westchase or New Tampa. South Tampa has a lot of nightlife. So yes, you are going to come across strip joints, gay bars, and asian massage parlors. You wouldn't find these things if you moved out of South Tampa into other areas.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:56 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
If you want more of a community feel, with big yards and good schools, then go look at housing in Westchase or New Tampa.South Tampa has a lot of nightlife. So yes, you are going to come across strip joints, gay bars, and asian massage parlors. You wouldn't find these things if you moved out of South Tampa into other areas.
South Tampa has a great sense of community and good schools as well. Don't let that nightlife comment scare you away. The vast majority of South Tampa consists of residential areas that are quiet at night. The "nightlife" is concentrated along Howard Avenue and a part of Platt Street. I don't think there are any strip clubs left in South Tampa. I'm not sure why gay bars were singled out; there are way more straight bars. As far as the massage parlors go, there's about six of them along Kennedy, a major commercial corridor, plus one on Westshore.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,331 times
Moderator cut: snip
The Tampa Area has alot of areas with homes with big yards and I could get to the beach in 45 minutes from Plant City. Let alone South Tampa..

Last edited by Keeper; 01-05-2012 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: do not call others trolls

Old 01-04-2012, 06:02 PM

83 posts, read 141,384 times
.... And from where I sit currently at home on Harbour island, my phone is telling me that it is 33 miles and 43 minutes to pass a grille beach. From plant city it is 53 miles to pass a grille, which means -if you are making it in 45 minutes like you claim - you are averaging 85mph the whole way, which just proves my previous post, that people who live here are bat-**** crazy drivers, and dangerous as hell.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-05-2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 07:07 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
South Tampa has a great sense of community and good schools as well. Don't let that nightlife comment scare you away. The vast majority of South Tampa consists of residential areas that are quiet at night. The "nightlife" is concentrated along Howard Avenue and a part of Platt Street. I don't think there are any strip clubs left in South Tampa. I'm not sure why gay bars were singled out; there are way more straight bars. As far as the massage parlors go, there's about six of them along Kennedy, a major commercial corridor, plus one on Westshore.
I live in the SoHo district. I love it here and don't know why anyone wouldn't. The OP seemed to want more space though, and that is one thing that is hard to come by in this part of town.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielamb View Post
.... Not a troll. And from where I sit currently at home on Harbour island, my phone is telling me that it is 33 miles and 43 minutes to pass a grille beach. From plant city it is 53 miles to pass a grille, which means -if you are making it in 45 minutes like you claim - you are averaging 85mph the whole way, which just proves my previous post, that people who live here are bat-**** crazy drivers, and dangerous as hell.
Nope, not 85. 70. and I didn't say Pass a grille. I said the beach. I would be going to Clearwater most likely. You CAN go to other beaches you know ? Apollo is only like 20 minutes from you.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM

83 posts, read 141,384 times
Apollo beach? Really? Would one be visiting there for the manatee, or a closer look at the big bend power plant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay