Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:28 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
North Tampa is not New Tampa. North Tampa is considered North of Busch to roughly Bearss
Hmm, I had always heard those used as synonyms but not quite, it turns out:
Quote:
North Tampa boundaries are University to the north, Nebraska Avenue to the west, Sulphur Springs to the south, and University Square (neighborhood) to the east. [1]
But it still does not contain Suitcase City (University West):
Quote:
University is bounded by Interstate 275 to the west, Tampa city limits to the south, University of South Florida to the east, and Bearss Avenue to the north. Its historical boundaries stretch as far east as Morris Bridge Road; however, the boundaries were scaled back owing to annexations by Tampa and Temple Terrace during the 1980s.
Not that any of this is really relevant to the OP's 'can't find a house to rent for less than 4K' predictament. I'm sure she has no intention of trying out Suitcase City, the Fishbowl, or any other obviously seedy neighborhood.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:41 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
This is exactly my opinion too!

The "bones" are definitely there. And no, it doesn't have to be the next Miami, or any of that, but if city officials had any brains, they would actually look at (Study) what Miami has that's attractive, what Orlando has that's attractive, and then model Tampa in a different way that neither of those cities are.

Out of the major cities in FL, Tampa believe it or not, IS the most kid friendly, (We lived in Both Miami & Orlando) but it does lack quality entertainment, Miami has THAT type of entertainment that's totally not appropriate for kids, Orlando has all the theme parks, so it would only make sense to turn Tampa into the more artistic one. So that its residents don't have to go far for quality entertainment. Think refined versus cheap bars and stuff.

It is VERY possible believe me.

Now back to the OP, David Islands is very expensive...I agree with going to a different hospital, its not like there aren't million around there. Palm Harbor would be my best suggestion because it is a LOT closer to the beaches, but it does have areas with big yards for the kids. However, I wouldn't buy anything if I didn't feel at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
edit: let me also say that i would like nothing more than to see tampa become the top-rated city i know it *could* be if it gets its act together. it has good bones. just needs to cut out the tumors.

Last edited by algia; 12-24-2011 at 05:08 AM..

Old 12-24-2011, 04:50 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
i've always wondered this as well. danashores is nothing special. most of the homes look worn down. nice views of the bay, though.
Guess ya better drive thru and check out all the new much bigger homes that have replaced the so called worn down homes.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:24 AM

83 posts, read 141,411 times
Davis island is great, we have friends there, it's one of my favorite places in Tampa. But finding a nice rental home on Davis island is like finding hens teeth, it's just not that kind of area that has rentals. You would think jeter would be able to spare 4 or 5 thousand sf? Now that minka is out of the picture, I'm sure there is room in that compound for my family and dog...

Old 12-24-2011, 06:29 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Guess ya better drive thru and check out all the new much bigger homes that have replaced the so called worn down homes.
drove through recently. still looked amazingly average at best.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:14 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
It is the holidays and many ppl get sad during this time of year. Maybe you are just depressed. I would definitely look for another area to live if you are so unhappy on Harbor Island. You may have to change your requirements but it would be worth it to be happy. I have lived in many different places and they all offered something unique. There is good and bad about every place. What you like in one city, another person will hate. I have seen ppl hate where they lived and after they left and went back to where they use to live, they were the first ones wanting to come back.

My suggestion is focus on the good.. it is there.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:37 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
drove through recently. still looked amazingly average at best.
Still the best place in Tampa.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:57 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Quote:
This entire area belongs to the City Of Tampa:
Not at all. In fact, only about half of that is the City of Tampa. Temple Terrace is an independent city north of the Hillsborough River and east of 52nd Street. Tampa's eastern boundary is 56th Street, more or less, with the exception of the Fishbowl (neighborhood south and east of the river, west of 56th, and north of Sligh) and parts of the Grant Park neighborhood (south of MLK, east of 50th, and extends almost to I-4).

Quote:
downtown tampa is a joke and there is more wasted space than i've ever seen in an urban area. sure it might look pretty from bayshore or the river walk but drive 2 minutes north or east and it's like you're in detroit
I've never been to Detroit, but I'm pretty confident in saying that nothing in Tampa comes close to the urban decay experienced in that city. Some of the neighborhoods north of Downtown Tampa are sketchy, but you don't risk your life driving through there. I should know. I drive through there frequently and I've done many photography trips up through there (on foot and by myself).

It's only a matter of time before Tampa Heights starts to gentrify. It has a beautiful housing stock and its central location is unbeatable. With proper infrastructure improvements and private investment/development, that neighborhood will return to its pre-white flight glory.

Downtown Tampa is still pretty low-key after the business day is done, but you can't honestly say that it hasn't improved over the past decade. It still has a long way to go, but there is definitely more down there than before. Whenever the economy gets out of its rut, Downtown Tampa will see more development and investment.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:25 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I've never been to Detroit, but I'm pretty confident in saying that nothing in Tampa comes close to the urban decay experienced in that city. Some of the neighborhoods north of Downtown Tampa are sketchy, but you don't risk your life driving through there. I should know. I drive through there frequently and I've done many photography trips up through there (on foot and by myself).
you don't risk your life driving through all of detroit either, but it certainly is a distressed city, much like tampa.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:33 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
you don't risk your life driving through all of detroit either, but it certainly is a distressed city, much like tampa.
Tampa is NOWHERE as "distressed" as Detroit. Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay