Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 12:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,668 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have looked around the forums, found a few bits and pieces, but not alot of situations that fit my needs. I am a single mother to a 4 year old I will be homeschooling. I prefer to find an area to rent either a home or apartment as one of my first decisions, and build around that. I want to move to without considering a commute. Driving is really not a problem for me. I work in retail and am able to transfer to several different stores in Tampa. There is a significant cost of living difference, and I am very worried about this. I need something fairly cheap, but as a single mother I do not want to live in the 'ghetto'. I want to live in a safe neighborhood. I understand that there is crime in all areas, and I accept that. I can be comfortable with a, say, poorer neighborhood, as long as it is a place my child can play outside, be safe, and the neighbors are friendly, decent people.

Also, help with a good childcare provider for while I am at work would be excellent.

Looking at the map does just about nothing for me. I was considering the east side of Tampa may be the best fit but was told that tends to be the worse neighborhoods and to avoid Ybor City. Living in the city or within about 30 minutes of the city is prefered. I look online at street names in Tampa, and that again does nothing for me. I know in Toledo, it's best to avoid any president/government related-named roads and any numbered roads. I just really want to gather as much information as possible.

I plan on moving in the middle to end of May, however if the stars align, I would definitely consider moving earlier. I am coming down in March for 10 days to scope things out. I want to gather as much information as possible, get it into a binder, and sort through it when I get down there. Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:20 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Sounds like you need cheap rent in a decent area. Check Brandon and Riverview. Town N Country may fit your needs as well. You have several options since you will be homeschooling and school ratings do not apply to you.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:32 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
I will second brandon. Its outside of tampa, but most driving into tampa can be reached within 30 mins drive, but brandon has plenty of retail to work as well.

Rent is cheaper out this way too though. To give you an idea, we looked at houses for rent in Tampa, and for our 1400 budget, we were only able to find 1300-1500 sq feet houses. We ended up finding this place in Brandon and we paid 1300 for 2k sq feet in a quiet family neighborhood!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM

Thank you both very much for your help. I saw a few things for Brandon, but didn't really know if it was going to be a good area. I also saw a few things for Val..spir? or something, lol, on the Orlando side of Tampa. Is this a place I would be ok to consider? It's so hard to move when you don't live anywhere close to where your going, and only know a couple people who don't know much of anything.

Also, in the Brandon area, are there any good daycares you would recommend or avoid? I hate daycares. I worked in one, and it was a good one, but personally, I just despise the idea. However, I will have to fold and put my daughter in one since I don't know anyone who will be able to watch her while I'm at work. Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated

Old 01-07-2012, 02:22 PM

91 posts, read 131,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCase03 View Post
Thank you both very much for your help. I saw a few things for Brandon, but didn't really know if it was going to be a good area. I also saw a few things for Val..spir? or something, lol, on the Orlando side of Tampa. Is this a place I would be ok to consider? It's so hard to move when you don't live anywhere close to where your going, and only know a couple people who don't know much of anything.

Also, in the Brandon area, are there any good daycares you would recommend or avoid? I hate daycares. I worked in one, and it was a good one, but personally, I just despise the idea. However, I will have to fold and put my daughter in one since I don't know anyone who will be able to watch her while I'm at work. Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated
Towns east of I-75, south of I-4 should provide you decent rentals for decent prices:
Brandon
Lithia
Valrico
Dover
Riverview
Gibsonton
Ruskin
Plant City is about as far east as you'd want to look.

North of I-4 there's Seffner, Wesley Chapel, Zephyrhills, Thonotosassa.
Apollo Beach

Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 PM

Thank you very much for your help

Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 AM

420 posts, read 864,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlenoggin View Post
Towns east of I-75, south of I-4 should provide you decent rentals for decent prices:
Brandon
Lithia
Valrico
Dover
Riverview
Gibsonton
Ruskin
Plant City is about as far east as you'd want to look.

North of I-4 there's Seffner, Wesley Chapel, Zephyrhills, Thonotosassa.
Apollo Beach
All good recommendations. Close to Brandon's Westfield Mall should you decide to do retail there.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:39 AM

78 posts, read 185,683 times
I live in Lithia (Fishhawk Ranch) and for families it is excellent. Community always has something going on for kids. The schools are excellent and if you are looking to rent you can get into one of the townhomes starting at $900+ a month. Very quiet and virtually no crime other than some teenagers being teenagers and doing petty crap. From Lithia to Brandon which has plenty of stores and a mall you are 15 minutes and depending on where in Tampa 25-30 minute drive.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:40 PM

8 posts, read 124,779 times
Default From Georgia to Florida.... I need some Floridian HELP!!

Well Im moving to FL from Atlanta, GA in March. I love FL but it's so hard to read. What I may think are nice areas to live actually can be harmful. I know Atlanta is a harsh city but I think Florida's sun actully fools us...lol.

I had considered Orlando but have yet decided to make my way to the Tampa area. I'm looking for a nice quiet place close to the beach, safe and close to entertainment/shopping/dining/hotels and so fourth. Realistically I would like to rent a condo/apt or even a nice in-law suite. Rent wise I would like to be within $700-$1000, 2bd minimum.

I've been online but it's not the same. As a single 30+ yr old female I want to be somewhere where I feel comfortable in/out the house and around town. I also love the beach, walking trails, crafty areas, lounges and great eateries.

I appreciate any and all recommendations!!!

Thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay