Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Every single city I have lived in has the so-called "problems" that Tampa Bay has.

Wanna see strip clubs and sex trafficking and orgies at massage parlors? Go to Queens, NY or Arlington, VA.
what strip clubs are you referring to in arlington?

arlington is a lot of things but it certainly in no way, shape, or form related to tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:54 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,665 times
club paradise in south arlington; crystal city restaurant, crystal city

if you have lived in that area, you know that DC (and environs) does a great job of keeping everything spread out and hidden (including all the corruption)

and yes, thank god Tampa is in no way related to Arlington

otherwise we'd all be stuck in 2 hours of traffic every day (or stuck waiting for an operating Metro train car for 2 hours); love that super efficient and always pleasant DC Metro!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 PM

i spent my entire life living just down the street from there (alexandria) until last year.

personally i think it's hilarious that you would even mention the two cities in the same sentence. arlington is one of the richest counties in the united states, has a much healthier job economy (3.3% unemployment rate. they practically give jobs out to people getting off the planes at reagan national), better infrastructure, and a lot more upscale culture.

crystal city restaurant is smack-dab in the middle of one of the richest, trendiest, blooming nightlife corridors btw (in between clarendon/ballston area and old town), and last time i checked the girls aren't even fully nude, nor does the place have seedy people hanging around 24/7 like mons venus, etc. it's also very small (isn't it right next to a 7-11?).

Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 PM

i lived in North Arlington for 16 years and i know the area all too well

not really interested in comparing the two (tampa and arl), as they are apples and oranges, and i never did compare them

i was just pointing out that plenty of places (big, small, rich, poor) have the negatives that people ascribe as being found only in Tampa or Florida

including the DC area, NY, LA, Austin, TX, Lincoln, Neb., ARLINGTON, etc.

are you actually saying there aren't "seedy" people hanging around in Arlington/DC area? please.

it's just that nobody goes and shines a light on the vulgarities in those cities the way they do in Tampa/Florida

The Washington Post is way too busy blowing smoke up Newt Gingrich's ass, for example, to report on the sex trafficking that goes on in Fairfax City nail salons

and by the way, if you are into this sort of thing, Loudoun and Fairfax are a lot wealthier than Arlington, at least according to the last census

Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM

but you *did* compare them, in some small way, by trying to liken the prevalent sleaze on dale mabry to a tiny little shack of a strip bar in a posh section of arlington.

loudoun is too far away from dc to be of any significance to me. i still think of it as redneck farmland like it was when i was growing up.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 PM

why would you compare the "posh" parts of arlington with the "sleazy" parts ot tampa? (i don't really consider crystal city or south arlington to be "posh"; for posh, i would recommend a trip to North Arlington or McLean, but i digress)

it would make more sense to compare the posh parts of arlington with the posh parts of tampa, and the sleazy parts of arlington and the sleazy parts of tampa.

does arlington have a stretch of strip clubs on one concentrated street EXACTLY like tampa does? no

does arlington have strip clubs? yes

does DC have a stretch of strip clubs on one concentrated street EXACTLY like tampa does? yes

does Maryland have it? yes

does arlington have sleazy swaths with loitering and vagrants? yes

the point is, tampa is not the only city with these issues

Last edited by planedition; 01-06-2012 at 09:06 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 04:50 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
It was just a throw-away punchline on a comedy show, let's not take it so seriously!

Old 01-07-2012, 05:55 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
This one is probably reserved for the "high-end" crowd...the one that gets the "politico's" in trouble...LOLOLOLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
crystal city restaurant is smack-dab in the middle of one of the richest, trendiest, blooming nightlife corridors btw (in between clarendon/ballston area and old town), and last time i checked the girls aren't even fully nude, nor does the place have seedy people hanging around 24/7 like mons venus, etc. it's also very small (isn't it right next to a 7-11?).

Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielamb View Post
Lmfao.

Ahhh.... Vindication.
Vindication? Who was vindicated?
It was a comic making a joke, it has nothing to do with your hate of Tampa.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
why would you compare the "posh" parts of arlington with the "sleazy" parts ot tampa? (i don't really consider crystal city or south arlington to be "posh"; for posh, i would recommend a trip to North Arlington or McLean, but i digress)

it would make more sense to compare the posh parts of arlington with the posh parts of tampa, and the sleazy parts of arlington and the sleazy parts of tampa.

does arlington have a stretch of strip clubs on one concentrated street EXACTLY like tampa does? no

does arlington have strip clubs? yes

does DC have a stretch of strip clubs on one concentrated street EXACTLY like tampa does? yes

does Maryland have it? yes

does arlington have sleazy swaths with loitering and vagrants? yes

the point is, tampa is not the only city with these issues
we're not talking about dc, maryland. we're (you and i) talking about arlington, one of the nation's most affluent areas, and tampa, .... not one.

i'm not "comparing" the posh parts - you brought them up when you mentioned one small, not even fully nude strip club in the middle of one, and i felt the need to tear holes in your flimsy argument likening (in some small way) the area to tampa.

and yes, that area is quite well-to-do. did you have your blinders on when walking/driving north (due north is rosslyn/clarendon/ballston, which is the epicenter of young trust fund babies with too much money and not enough things to spend it on), south (take a look at all of those brand new ridiculously overpriced condos sitting atop and around the whole foods near potomac yard? how about just past there.... remember old town? i wouldn't call that a dump.), east/west (23rd street in crystal city is pretty much the textbook definition of posh... for dc, that is). sure it isn't socal posh, but it's as good as it gets for washington. classy but reserved.

even the dingiest, scariest parts of arlington do not compare in any way to what you'll find in east tampa. in fact, i'm wondering just what areas you had in mind when you concocted your original post. four mile run? the area between shirlington and glebe rd/ballston? sure it isn't pretty but it ain't nebraska ave.

i understand what you were reaching for, i just don't think you thought it through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay