U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM

254 posts, read 521,013 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a rendering of the new LA Fitness coming to South Dale Mabry? It's the site of the old Malio's that was torn down about 5 or 6 years ago. It's sipposed to take up the block between Platt and Azeele. I read it will have a four story parkig garage and a two level gym. That seems like a tight spot to put a big gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 AM

25,879 posts, read 39,142,774 times
There was one opened in Wesley Chapel last year. I have seen programs on tv how bad many gyms are doing in todays economy and know a few LL who rent to gyms and they have not very good experiences with getting paid, so I wonder why they keep opening more and more...

I have the feeling that more and more people buy equipment to excercise at home so they can do it anytime and don't have to spent money on gas and loose time...JMO.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,778,022 times
& you're right...much more convenient at home.

Plus, that area is already congested enough, and most homes in ST are large enough to accommodate fitness rooms.

Is that instead of that former CompUSA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have the feeling that more and more people buy equipment to exercise at home so they can do it anytime and don't have to spent money on gas and loose time...JMO.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,199,759 times
Hopefully something opens up there soon. That vacant lot is an eyesore. I just hope it's not another parking lot-dominated strip center.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 PM

254 posts, read 521,013 times
Driving by there tonight it looked like they've poured a cement floor on the area adjacent to Dale Mabry. If that is the floor, that means the building will front Dale Mabry, which is good, because the parking should then be behind the building and it won't look too suburban.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 27,352 times
Default Fools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
& you're right...much more convenient at home. Plus, that area is already congested enough, and most homes in ST are large enough to accommodate fitness rooms.
In fact, most homes in South Tampa are smaller historic bungalows built on narrow 50x100 lots that are certainly NOT conducive to accommodating home gyms.

If you factor the gross number of young professionals who live in multifamily dwellings (without gyms) throughout the area and it's very easy to see why a nation-wide franchise like LA Fitness would want to build amongst the affluent and populous S. Tampa suburbs.

For consumers, the value that LA Fitness brings is incredible. In addition to traditional weight training and cardio equipment, LA Fitness offers indoor basketball, racquetball and pools. And, most incredibly, the membership rates are half the price ($29.99/month) of Lifestyles and other popular S. Tampa gyms ($59 - $79/month).

The only other gyms in S. Tampa that even comes close is Harbour Island Athletic Club (+$79/month) and YMCA ($50/month plus tons of kids).

No, I don't work for LA Fitness, but I would be the first in line for the incredible value and access to indoor recreational facilities.

Last edited by Sunscape; 02-26-2012 at 04:49 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 27,352 times
Let's also not forget that Plant High School is located less than one mile of this location with a perpetual and constantly revolving student body population in excess of 2,200 students, the majority of which can afford $29.99 memberships.

Still think this is a stupid idea?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:09 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,952,510 times
You are responding to someone who does not even live in Tampa Bay and, judging by other posts, knows very little about the area. Why they continue to spend hours a day spouting unintelligible nonsense about the region is beyond me. Then again, everyone needs to have a hobby.

I wouldn't even waste your time with an intelligent response. Do what I did: just put them on your ignore list so you don't even have to look at the garbage.

Last edited by Sunscape; 02-27-2012 at 05:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay