Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
Long story short, I've been to both places but only in the spring and only for a week. For those that have lived in both places, what do you feel is tougher to deal with, the high, dry heat of the Phoenix area or the humid heat of the Tampa area? Being from New Hampshire I'm used to the occasional hot and humid 100F day, but I'm curious what it's like when you have to deal with it all summer long.
No occasional thing at all in both places. If you ask me, both places are bad during summer. You better base your comparison on something else and for that I will take Tampa Bay anyday. I was in Phoenix in August and it was as hell as here. You better go to both places sometime between June to August and see which one you tolerate better. Key is which one you tolerate better, if you are going to be outside a lot in both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 AM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Think i would rather deal with our reverse west wind flow during the summer with lows of 82 and highs of 96 with dewpoints of 75+ than that super hot dry air out west. Anyway ya cut it we don't get much rain here or out west in the summer, at least where i live anyway.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Having spent time in Texas, Arizona and Nevada, I have to say that the Florida heat is better. **** 120 degrees. People say "it's a dry heat", well, it will KILL you. People dont die if they are stuck outside in Florida.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 AM

93 posts, read 167,215 times
It basically seems like I'm trading one for the other, the miserable cold during the winters up here for the blistering heat in the summer there. It just comes down to what I would rather live through, cold winters or hot summers...

Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 AM

345 posts, read 976,388 times
About humidity and Florida:

1) It's really not much more hot and humid in Florida during summer than it is in the Middle Atlantic region.

2) Humidity keeps things lush and green. There's a reason you see Southern California going up like a tinderbox every 6 months. It's dry and brown and ripe for brush fires.

3) It's not that hard to deal with the heat and humidity. Either you invest well in AC, you enjoy the comforts of the swimming pool or ocean or natural spring, or if you are a brave soul like me, you reveal in it, realizing you are going to sweat a little, and take a shower later on. Not too hard.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM

29 posts, read 63,853 times
That's what the beach and Wet 'N Wild is for . I'm use to Florida humidity now.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 AM

378 posts, read 829,609 times
Would you rather live in an oven or sauna? Both bad choices for many, long term but everyone is different and you won't really know until you live there. Mid Atlantic humidity is 3 months a year and not constant the whole 3 months. Florida humidity is 7-9 months, year after year. Some adjust, some can't. Both are both revolving door states.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 AM

134 posts, read 329,645 times
I haven't experienced Arizona heat during the summer but I'm from San Diego and I really don't mind the dry heat. I was in San Diego a couple of years ago during part of the hottest weather at the end of July early August and even walking around downtown San Diego I could just step under a tree and be cool in a minute. You can escape the heat out west by going into the shade, can't do that here in FL. But, I actually don't mind the heat in FL. You just have to accept you can't go out at 1 or 2pm for a run. I'm ok with the adjustments I have to make because when it's the dead of winter (i.e. now) and it's 72 and beautiful outside and I'm running my RC car or going to the park with the wife and daughter, while my friends in Michigan are covered in snow, I'm grateful for living in FL.

I can say about the only thing I hate about summers in FL is when you go to your car after it's been sitting outside and that initial oven feeling, waiting for the a/c to cool it down. While I haven't been to AZ in the summer I have been to the desert out in California and it never really bothered me. I guess I don't mind either one. But PeteU is right, the arid dry air out west is horrible for brushfires. That plus the fact it never rains. It's just a bad combination.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:07 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
California is not similar to Arizona. I have family in Arizona and have spent some time there. It is hot. Yeah.. dry heat... whatever. When it's 110+ in ambient temp it's super hot. I have never burned my hands touching my car in Florida but have in Arizona. Also, that dry heat murders the interior of your car.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:08 PM

77 posts, read 138,369 times
I have lived in Tucson for 5 years now and can not stand the HELL HEAT!! They say 114 they mean 114! Even air conditioning does not work when its that hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay