U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 AM

93 posts, read 143,615 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I've been to both places but only in the spring and only for a week. For those that have lived in both places, what do you feel is tougher to deal with, the high, dry heat of the Phoenix area or the humid heat of the Tampa area? Being from New Hampshire I'm used to the occasional hot and humid 100F day, but I'm curious what it's like when you have to deal with it all summer long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:34 AM

420 posts, read 750,381 times
The humidity is as dreadful as you've heard but air conditioning makes it tolerable. I prefer the dry weather of the southwest (originally from S. CA) over the weather here in Tampa. It's not as bad as people like to complain about, but it does take some adjustment (and AC!) to get used to it.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:06 AM

747 posts, read 1,577,918 times
Coming from NY, and being in Tampa two years, I can honestly say I didn't mind the past two Tampa summers at all. We're surrounded by water; bay, ocean, pool. The best air conditioning.

I just really don't mind the heat and humidity and that's why I live here. There is a post here on this forum that talks about the Tampa humidity and I think I remember reading the average yearly humidity was surprising LOW!!!!! It's probably higher in the Carolina's.

If you can't tolerate, your best living elsewhere.....it's really as simple as that! Best of luck in your search.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:32 AM

2,359 posts, read 4,489,086 times
It's probablly not to bad if you have a air conditioned job to get out of it during the day. I moved down from N.H. and actually loved it for the first 3 years or so. But believe me it gets old after a while. If you dont mind living in a air conditioned world in the hotter months then you'll probablly like it. It's really hard to enjoy outdoor activities during those months. If you like to stay really active year round you'll be dissapointed.Being able to stay active year round is one of the reasons were back in N.H. now. I'm not sure about Arizona but i hear that it's a drier heat.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,790,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Coming from NY, and being in Tampa two years, I can honestly say I didn't mind the past two Tampa summers at all. We're surrounded by water; bay, ocean, pool. The best air conditioning.

I just really don't mind the heat and humidity and that's why I live here. There is a post here on this forum that talks about the Tampa humidity and I think I remember reading the average yearly humidity was surprising LOW!!!!! It's probably higher in the Carolina's.

If you can't tolerate, your best living elsewhere.....it's really as simple as that! Best of luck in your search.
This is true. It can get hotter and more humid in NC, but it's for a much shorter time. Some summers it's miserable all of July and August and some summers it only last a few weeks. Here in FL it seems to start around Easter and doesn't let up until around Oct.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,757,629 times
We have lived in South Florida for 27 years, and there is really no way around admitting that for close to 7 months a year, the heat and especially the humidity are brutal.

You make lifestyle adjustments----taking walks early in the morning, or in the early evening hours. Life is a way of making transitions and changes to tolerate the environment. You learn how to cope with the heat buy wearing very light colors and shorts---drinking plenty of fluids-----and admitting you need to find ways to cope with heat and not admitting that it is not a problem.

A lot of transplanted northerners down here will rave about the year round paradise is, and than claim that summer doesnt bother them. When you ask them how they cope with the 102 and 103 degree daily it feels like factor, they respond air conditoning. Also a lot of those residents find ways of spending considerable time, if not all of the summer up north.

To any of who are full time residents of South Florida, you will have to admit summers see a mass defection of people----the roads are a lot less crowded, the restaurant crowds are way down, and the mass of humanity is much sparser everywhere-----correct or is it my imagination?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:31 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,674,489 times
The low humidity high heat of arizona is MUCH more tolerable than the high heat/high humidity of florida.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM

77 posts, read 122,044 times
I will take Florida weather any day over this weather in AZ! Originally from Pa but moved to Tucson 5 years ago and can not wait to get to Florida! Its me though Everyone has there pluses and minus about the weather where they live but for me I will take Florida weather over AZ weather.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:25 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,243,962 times
I could not live in the arid dry heat of the Southwest US. I enjoy the warm and humid FL climate.
That is why I am here.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:18 PM

15,184 posts, read 31,120,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I could not live in the arid dry heat of the Southwest US. I enjoy the warm and humid FL climate.
That is why I am here.
Same here. I despise that intense dry heat. Everyone is different, no one climate is "better" than another, only better or worse on an individual basis. But you could not pay me to live in Arizona or any other dry desert clime. For me Florida weather is almost perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay