U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 17,192 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to back to Texas from Florida 4 years ago (it was supposed to be a one year plan) because of the busting bubble my husband's business when down the drain. Anyway, we both agreed that moving to Texas to make more money, save our recently purchased FL home, then return to FL and start a family. Well here we are still in Texas with a one year old son and no FL home to speak of (we had to short sale last year). I'm now sick of this town becuase of the lack of family orientation and things to do, both me and my son have had it! lol Seriously though, I want to hurry up and move back to Florida, Clearwater, Tampa, St. Pete area, mainly for my son's sake, then me, then my husband. Even though my husband and I both agreed that it will be in the best interest of our kids to raise them in Florida, he is hesitating the move. Our lease is coming up to its end this May and I really want to make the move.

My question is, Why shouldnt we? I know that people are just starting to get back on their feet which is great but not enough for my husband's business as he's in sales, but Im a legal assistant and can make decent income for the time being, no? I am willing to live in a small home but in a nice family oriented neighborhood my ideal neighborhood would be in the 3375-33755-33756 zips =).

Can you help me convince him that its ok to make the move now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 02:08 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,947,201 times
why did you "have to" short sell your previous FL home? couldn't get a renter?

Old 01-26-2012, 02:38 PM

4,229 posts, read 5,692,956 times
Your one year old son "has had it"?

If you can start off again successfully in Florida, go ahead and make the move. Do it before your son is older and in school and you and your husband get too established in Texas. It gets harder to break ties the longer you wait.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 PM

3 posts, read 17,192 times
Wow! Thanks for the reply. Sorry I asked.
1. It doesn't matter why we "had to" short sale the fact is that we did.
2. My one year old son "has had it" ...was a joke, but I was also trying to say we run out of things to do outside our home in this town...And I agree the move should be done soon BECAUSE of school for him which is the most important part of the need to move...

Anyway,
Thanks.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,778,022 times
Tell him we're moving back too, and also that our 2, 5, and 7 years'olds have had enough of being stuck in the house too!!! The "outdoors" is what they miss the most (after Disney of course)!

We too have exhausted what this area had to offer for them...and we're north of Texas by a lot...LOL

Old 01-27-2012, 04:38 AM

Why does it matter "why" they "short sold"? how is that relevant to the conversation at hand? people short sale for a million reasons these days...if you were transferred as of next week, and your house wouldn't sell, what would you do? keep paying rents and mortgages for the hell of it??

Old 01-27-2012, 04:40 AM

I don't see any reason as to why "you shouldn't"...I am not a Texas fan...so if I had to choose between FL and TX, I would choose FL.

I think those zips are for Clearwater...ehhh not that family friendly IMO...Look at Palm Harbor/Ozona etc. You'll like it there a LOT better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime0104 View Post
My question is, Why shouldnt we? I know that people are just starting to get back on their feet which is great but not enough for my husband's business as he's in sales, but Im a legal assistant and can make decent income for the time being, no? I am willing to live in a small home but in a nice family oriented neighborhood my ideal neighborhood would be in the 3375-33755-33756 zips =).

Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
Gotta go where the work is. Which of the two places can you find dependable work? There are a lot of places to raise a child - the Tampa Bay area doesn't necessarily strike me as the most ideal place to raise a family. Why limit your places to live to TX and FLA?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:50 AM

Generally because west of Texas (e.g. California, Oregon, Washington) are way to expensive. Arizona & Nevada are in really bad shape compared to FL...and the rest have nothing to offer for kids.

So you have to choose between the two evils.

I agree it may not be the "most" ideal, but in comparison with many other places it can be. Its not like ppl who raise kids in Tampa take them to Ybor for entertainment! LOL

I think FL wins for many with kids because of the many Theme Parks available to keep the kids entertained. We live in PGH now, which is a wonderful city, BUT....we can't be outside much because it rains more than it snows, and there are no theme parks in sight (at least per our & our kids taste, because after Disney, not many are up to par), went to the Zoo here and it was a disappointment. Soooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Gotta go where the work is. Which of the two places can you find dependable work? There are a lot of places to raise a child - the Tampa Bay area doesn't necessarily strike me as the most ideal place to raise a family. Why limit your places to live to TX and FLA?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:38 AM

15,190 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime0104 View Post
My husband and I moved to back to Texas from Florida 4 years ago (it was supposed to be a one year plan) because of the busting bubble my husband's business when down the drain. Anyway, we both agreed that moving to Texas to make more money, save our recently purchased FL home, then return to FL and start a family. Well here we are still in Texas with a one year old son and no FL home to speak of (we had to short sale last year). I'm now sick of this town becuase of the lack of family orientation and things to do, both me and my son have had it! lol Seriously though, I want to hurry up and move back to Florida, Clearwater, Tampa, St. Pete area, mainly for my son's sake, then me, then my husband. Even though my husband and I both agreed that it will be in the best interest of our kids to raise them in Florida, he is hesitating the move. Our lease is coming up to its end this May and I really want to make the move.

Life is too short to be unhappy. I would not want to be in Texas, either - I love my Florida! However, I think you should base WHERE you move here where you can get employment. I would try to lock that down first, because that will be your biggest obstacle. The good news is that while we still have high unemployment, according to Forbes Florida is going to be one of the best places to find employment this year. Despite what many naysayers have to say here, I do see new companies moving in, new retail and restaurants, and real estate sales are overall way up from previous years - all good signs.

Again, EMPLOYMENT IS KEY. No one here can "convince your husband" if he doesn't want to move - we can't promise everything will be all right - that is up to you and your family. If you can get jobs, you can find a great deal on a home in a nice neighborhood, there are still plenty to be had.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay