Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:46 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,160 times

Advertisements

The most effective thing i've found to get rid of the Palmetto bugs are the big roach motels they sell in Home depot or Lowes. I think they are 'combat' brand. But they are huge, not the little ones for ordinary cockroaches.

Get yourself a couple boxes of those and spread 'em around the house(near doorways works best). I had a lifelong resident tell me about them when I first moved here and I tried them and discovered that they work better than any spray I had tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Honestly.. I would hardly call seeing 2 bugs an infestation. I lived in FL 30 years and never had pest control. My DH sprayed around the outside of the house every 6 months, more so for sugar ants than roaches. He also put out the roach motels.

I truly hope you are kidding about the gators and snakes. I lived on a lake for several years and never saw a snake in my yard and no gators in the lake.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:13 PM

42 posts, read 98,584 times
Thanks for the tips all. Cats seem to be doing a job. I saw the first bug before going to bed one night. Sent hubby down to check it out, and he said one of the cats was on the job. Next morning I found one leg of the palmetto, that is all. Guess the cats took care of the rest.

Geez the ants. We have had those too. Not to mention rats. And termites. I am only joking about the gators and snakes. But we have only been in FL for three months and it seems like it has been a non-stop battle with pests! Probably just what happens when you move to an older house that has been unoccupied awhile. It will get less creepy right? Lol.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 PM

36 posts, read 48,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtytwopaws View Post
So Im too scared to leave my house after some of the previous threads on gators. Now I can't stay inside either, after two recent palmetto bug sightings!

Ok ok, I know they are really called American cockroaches. But palmetto bug sounds so much nicer.

We had the yard sprayed after our indoor only cats got fleas. Crazy, that never happened in NC! Anyway, I am wondering if that prompted a few of the palmetto bugs to seek refuge inside? What is the deal with these guys? How do I know if I have a few stragglers or a whole infestation hidden somewhere? What can I do to keep them away?

What is the deal wih Florida and all of the crazy "wildlife"??? I guess that one is a rhetorical question. I do like the birds . . .
Not that you asked about the fleas, but before we moved here, our (Midwest) vet told us that we would have to put our cats on flea-prevention meds in FL. I thought that was overkill since we have indoor-only cats, but the vets here said the same thing. We use the vet's recommended med, but I've been wondering if there are natural remedies available.

As for Palmetto bugs, I was concerned about these before we moved, although these days I'm more worried about stepping on a sunbathing gecko! We've been told by locals of some natural-ish remedies (Google "crushed chrysanthemum") to repel palmetto bugs, but thankfully (knock wood-toss salt, ad infinitum) we haven't had to use anything yet. I've heard you'll want to vacuum up crumbs and such and plug small openings/cracks. Also, that winter is the season the bugs tend to come indoors, due to the cold; of course, this winter has been so mild, it may very well be the yard spray that did it. :~)

Old 02-06-2012, 08:10 PM

60 posts, read 104,079 times
Default Get a pro

I second the "get a professional" tip. We have gone both routes, doing it ourselves and having a pro, and it's just easier to have a pro. We use a local "mom and pop" company, its reasonable, and there are NO insects. I honestly cant remember the last time I saw one in the house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay