U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 AM

37 posts, read 57,148 times

Advertisements

I read on one of the post that east lake is really palm harbor, does that mean the same great schools? we're moving this summer, and we're really looking forward to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,581,201 times
East Lake is between Oldsmar and Palm Harbor. Great area!!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 AM

70 posts, read 152,791 times
Annie's pretty much correct. East Lake is the area from Tampa Rd. north to Keystone Rd. on the east side of Lake Tarpon and includes part of Oldsmar, the part of Palm Harbor east of Lake Tarpon and the part of Tarpon Springs east of Lake Tarpon. It is a very nice area and the schools are highly rated.

The high school isn't Palm Harbor University High like on the west side of Lake Tarpon but East Lake High School which (last time I looked) is also an A rated high school.

Sincerely,
Ron

Old 03-29-2012, 08:13 AM

53 posts, read 85,070 times
Default that's great!

are your triplets of highschool age? and what made you decide upon palm harbor? my family is also considering relocating and i am very nervous!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 AM

37 posts, read 57,148 times
Hello ccplacez!!! I'm right with you, nervous as could be!! The triplets are under a year!!! As everyone likes to remind me, I have my hands full! I was thinking palm harbor, due to location and I know of someone who knows someone that lives there and is very happy, however, they are much older. That was really all I had to go on. So we are still searching, and in late April we take our first trip down to see the areas our self! Good luck with everything!!! I would say do your homework, but I've done that and it's made me crazy, I'm still at square one, although, these babies could be a distraction, I really don't get that much done! Best wishes!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 PM

too funny! We'll prob cross paths and not even know it! Anyway... Good luck to you! It's growing on me, to move that is! Only thing that will stop us is if we can't sell our home here for a decent price. Good luck in your findings! Let's keep updating!

Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,784,209 times
"East Lake" is a road, and off this road there are several subdivisions. It IS Palm Harbor, every time I had to go there the address read "Pam Harbor".

If you have a hard time narrowing down the subdivisions, then do what I do: go to greatschools.net, type Palm Harbor in the search, and then sort by highest rated, then just pick up the zip code for the school and start looking for places.

Use a realtor just to be safe.
(because I saw a lot of fake listings, so an RE would be able to determine if it is a good listing or a fake one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletmommyplusone View Post
I read on one of the post that east lake is really palm harbor, does that mean the same great schools? we're moving this summer, and we're really looking forward to it

Old 04-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Oh!!! Thanks for the clarification! I thought 'east lake' was like 'palm harbor', I didn't realize it was a road not an area!

As we're not close to buying anything at this point, not until we know we can sell our home, not making move til next spring, do you still think I should get a hold of a realtor? We were thinking of just using our GPS and looking at the areas of the homes that we, too, also have found through greatschools as well as realtor.com.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,784,209 times
If you have kids, definitely use greatschools.net to get the zip codes. Driving around without knowing where the good schools are is useless. Plus remember that there are several communities that are for 55+ only. So you may not be able to live there if you have kids.

Realtor.com tells you which school is in the area of the house you're looking at. But because the listings are so random...it is harder to do a drive by...IMO. One could be here and one in 20 miles. With the way the traffic gets down there...you may end up wasting gas. I would pick one zip code at the time. I think google maps has a feature now that it highlights a zip code area, so you know what the boundaries of that zip code are.

I think you should rent regardless until you are 100% sure you like the area, or had enough time to explore the Tampa Bay as a whole...there are many neighborhoods...and you have to find the one that suits you. Just because a house looks good on realtor.com that is also not sufficient to know what the rest of the area looks like, or if it appreciated at all value wise. (as in what the "resale value" might be like)

Old 04-04-2012, 07:51 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,439,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccplacez View Post
Oh!!! Thanks for the clarification! I thought 'east lake' was like 'palm harbor', I didn't realize it was a road not an area!
East Lake is in fact a real area. Click on this link to see exactly what comprises East Lake. However, East Lake is not a postal zone. Northern East Lake is called "Tarpon Springs" in postal addresses, and southern East Lake is called "Palm Harbor" in postal addresses.

East Lake High is rated VERY highly. However, it does not have IB, whereas Palm Harbor University High does have IB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay