U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM

3,267 posts, read 4,314,488 times

Advertisements

Okay folks. Just had our second Cub Scout camping trip up at Lakewood Retreat in Brooksville. This is our second camping trip since moving here to Florida. We used to camp a ton in Alaska and are thoroughly enjoying camping here. Our first Cub Scout camping trip here was a Fort Wilderness in Disney.

I have heard Fort DeSoto is a great place to camp but they are thoroughly booked every weekend for quite some time. Can anyone her suggest some other great places to go tent camping that is nice and fun for the entire family?

Also would love to learn how to fish around here. Any idea where I can find out what is biting, where they are biting and how to catch them (pole setup/bait/technique/etc.)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 PM

19,976 posts, read 16,085,506 times
Usually bait shops have all the local information about whats biting and where and the appropriate bait to use and what the laws say about catching certain fish species, usually you cant go wrong with live shrimp for a good generic bait
Camping? much as i like camping i've never had much success in Florida as the few times i've gone its either been too hot or too many bugs or both.
Best bet is to Google "Tampa area tent camping" for potential areas.
As an example .
http://tentcampingflorida.com/index.php?pk=0&pg=2

Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Usually bait shops have all the local information about whats biting and where and the appropriate bait to use and what the laws say about catching certain fish species, usually you cant go wrong with live shrimp for a good generic bait
Camping? much as i like camping i've never had much success in Florida as the few times i've gone its either been too hot or too many bugs or both.
Best bet is to Google "Tampa area tent camping" for potential areas.

Thanks for the info. I think Tent camping in Florida is really only feasible from Mid-Late October through Mid-April. Anything outside of that time frame and it's going to be too hot and probably lots of bugs around.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 PM

237 posts, read 407,934 times
Default Camping

Hey there Florida Kash! We recenlty went camping at Lake Louisa on the way to Orlando. It was very nice but the tent camping is mixed with RVs. We just booked some sites at Fort Desoto for May. Not sure if you know this but Pinellas County residents have an additionl month to book i.e you can book before the sites open to the public (7 months in advance as opposed to 6...I think). We are pretty new to camping in Florida but so far, we've loved it! Can't be any help on the fishing question...we just make sure we bring friends along who know what they are doing !

Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOnewplace View Post
Hey there Florida Kash! We recenlty went camping at Lake Louisa on the way to Orlando. It was very nice but the tent camping is mixed with RVs. We just booked some sites at Fort Desoto for May. Not sure if you know this but Pinellas County residents have an additionl month to book i.e you can book before the sites open to the public (7 months in advance as opposed to 6...I think). We are pretty new to camping in Florida but so far, we've loved it! Can't be any help on the fishing question...we just make sure we bring friends along who know what they are doing !
Thanks for the tip on Ft. Desoto.... I am a Hillsborough resident now so I'll miss out on that extra month. It is very foreign to me that you have to reserve a camping spot... let a alone so far in advance. lol. May might be a little too warm for us to camp in a tent. That sounds more like pop-up camper weather to me.

Hope you have a great time. I'm very sad that we sold all of our camping gear before moving down here. We had it made! Thinking that since we need to buy all of the stuff again... we may just go the pop up route.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,911,169 times
I hope to make it to Manatee River State Park before it gets too hot out.

Welcome to Florida State Parks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay