Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:32 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,352,355 times

Advertisements

Tampa is Hot,from June through September you will experience temps in
the 90's. and humidity in the 70's to even 100%. Just about every afternoon there are the thunderstorms which can cool things off a bit, but still humid. Since you will be running around the entire area, you will be hot in the summer, There is A/C everywhere though(car, buildings, etc.), so you will only be in the heat for as long as you want. Once you live here, you actually get used to it, and plan more time in the A/C, pools, beaches, etc. to keep cool. If you can handle those months, from October to May it's paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 09:23 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,215,093 times
I absolutely can't stand the heat here, but my boyfriend loves it....So it's hard to give you advice. I can tell you that if you take the hottest day you have ever experienced in NYC, add more humidity, imagine that day without cooling off for several months..... Welcome to Tampa in the summer!!!! It is not comparable to any NE city. If you hate the summer in NYC, you will be miserable for several months in Tampa, but if you hate the winter in NYC, you will be very happy those months in Tampa..... It's really your call. If you come, just be ready to due a reverse hibernation (in the summer rather than winter!)

Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 PM

17,462 posts, read 38,864,396 times
I'm a native of Tampa who hasn't lived there for 30 years. I find Tampa to be a VERY hot city - lots of pavement and cars, lots of high humidity. And it lasts for several months. Other areas of Florida are cooler and breezier, depending on oceans, lakes, trees, etc. It's not as hot as South Florida, though.

Bottom line, if you are miserable in the heat and tolerate cold better, you will not be happy here. I think you are already thinking that in the back of your mind.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:55 AM

79 posts, read 330,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I'm a native of Tampa who hasn't lived there for 30 years. I find Tampa to be a VERY hot city - lots of pavement and cars, lots of high humidity. And it lasts for several months. Other areas of Florida are cooler and breezier, depending on oceans, lakes, trees, etc. It's not as hot as South Florida, though.

Bottom line, if you are miserable in the heat and tolerate cold better, you will not be happy here. I think you are already thinking that in the back of your mind.

Good luck on your decision.
Yep. You guys hit the nail on the head. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:05 AM

9 posts, read 26,496 times
Default Tampa Heat

We were in Tampa recently and although we live in the Dominican Republic we found the heat different in Tampa.

We live in Sosua which is a beach town. We live up in the hills. Our house is open and we have a nice breeze. We have no fans or AC.

We love the heat ! we moved from the UK to the Dom. Republic and now we would like to move to Tampa (one reason being the weather).

Old 09-10-2007, 10:55 AM

22 posts, read 116,261 times
Default It's a trade-off

Yep, it's hot and humid in the summer but the winter makes it worthwhile!

Old 09-10-2007, 11:46 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,948,171 times
i find tampa way hotter than it was in ft lauderdale. it just seems absoluetly oppressively hot here in the summer where south florida was bearable or moreso. i dont think the gulf provides the breezes that the ocean does

Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,189,627 times
tampa heat seems worse than the east coast of fla. when i was there in the summer, it was noticeably hotter there than on the east coast of fla. even thew breeze was hot

Old 09-10-2007, 05:47 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,566,076 times
I'm the other way - I like summer in Tampa much better than summer in Ft Lauderdale. And I like the "cooler" temps we get in December - Ft Lauderdale was too hot for me in the winter. It's like seasons never changed over there. Ugh! But then, I grew up Phoenix so heat is no big deal...and used to live/work in Baton Rouge & New Orleans - which are much, much, MUCH worse in the summer than Tampa. It all depends on your reference points.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:12 PM

975 posts, read 3,721,167 times
It's hot, but the most important lesson I took away from my trip there was to always bring an umbrella in the summer months there and carry one in the car, especially if you drive all day for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBOUND? View Post
I've just done a real informal comparison of P.R. weather and Tampa weather via the weatherunderground website. Like I said, it's informal, bit Tampa looks hotter than even P.R. Ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: