U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 AM
 
8,539 posts, read 5,306,272 times
Reputation: 3561

Advertisements

Yes, housing is back to or even lower than the pre boom prices.
Back to reality. I don't know where you get the notion that there are large amounts of people living in the same household. I do know that
some folks do rent rooms, whole houses are rented by a few guys (3 or 4), but telling me that Spring Hill is some sort of depressed area is
beyond ridiculous.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Agree on design as was much of west pasco. The retirees just never were replaced after they died. House prices now are at the levels they were when the area was very nice 10/15 years ago so the housing bubble is a poor excuse. The difference is who and how many people are now in those homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 AM
 
8,539 posts, read 5,306,272 times
Reputation: 3561
It has also seen a 30% plus population increase in 10 years as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Yikes. Six was an exaggeration to make the point that Two bedroom homes used to be fille with a retired couple and now are being filled with low income families You are the only one in denial in this thread. All you can do is focus on my 6 statemnet as you wont address the the MAIN point which is everyone seeing SH decline. SH has seen a HUGE drop in quality over the last ten years.

If you want facts we can talk about all the ways SH lags the rest of the state. Income/education/employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
 
8,539 posts, read 5,306,272 times
Reputation: 3561
Drive by shooting? Do you have ANY link to ANY reference of a drive by shooting in Spring Hill?? Is this the one you refer to?

SWAT Team at Hernando home didn't find gunman, suspect at large

Your husband witnessed a drug deal and I guess he didn't bother to call the Sheriff. That's is why crime happens. Nobody does anything about it.

I have a pal who lives over in 34606. There was a drug dealing house on the block. The residents reported it to the Sheriff, the Sheriff's office investigated and a SWAT team was dispatched and they are now in prison. There wouldn't be drug dealing houses if every citizen bothered to do their civic duty once and a while and report, follow up and get results.

Hernando deputies arrest 10, seize 38 pit bulls in drug sweep - Tampa Bay Times

Most of the time I read about the lousy education in the area and now you are telling me that transplanted kids cant keep up? Sounds like a deficit somewhere else.

As far as home prices, they are back to where they were before the boom. Of course the national problem of declining home prices is here in SH too.

Let's talk about schools. Who's fault is the lack of parental guidance? Is it the County's fault? Or is the fault of the fact that a 30 percent increase in population over a few years time will bring in what you consider "desirable" vs. "undesirable" people.

Unemployment rate is very high. Why? A lot of people who live here do not work here. Its a bedroom community. Always has been.
Why does anyone expect there to be an abundance of jobs in a bedroom community? Hernando County always has been a rural and agricultural area. The influx of people shows that it is obviously a good place to be. However, with growth you get a mixed bag of goods.

As far as crime in general, lets pick a day at random. I picked 3/18/12. Lets look at the big crimes that happened on that day in Hernando County:

HCSO Reports

Please tell me of the nirvana you wish to relocate to where there is little to no crime, no growth, high housing prices, low cost of living,
and the neighbors you would rather live with compared to the "low class" that you advise is inhabiting SH.



Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I have been a Spring Hill resident for over ten years. Right after the Parkway was built, a lot of nice, young families began moving in. We were a part of that influx. We built a beautiful custom home in Plantation Estates and enjoyed being here for many years. The cost of living was lower than what was further south and the people here were really nice. We decided to sell our home when the market was at its peak. We made a great profit and moved into a smaller place in the 34608 area code, just off of Deltona. Though we weren't in as nice a spot as Plantation Estates, our neighbors were wonderful and took good care of their homes. Even when we had a sinkhole and had the home repaired several years ago, we were still happy living where we were because it was still a relatively nice area.

Things started changing a few years ago. We noticed the people moving into the area were low class and crime began going up (we've had stuff stolen off our front step twice now). My husband witnessed a drug deal go down right in the dried up lakebed in the rear of our house just the other day. People are also not taking care of their houses as well as they used to. And we had our first drive-by shooting just five houses away from us! So yes, things in Spring Hill are changing for the worse at least in the area in which I live. The other day, I checked recent sale prices of homes in our neighborhood. Many are going for under 100K I am nervous about who will be moving in to those places.

I work at one of local schools. Several of our teachers have mentioned that in the past few years they have noticed a large influx of students who are not prepared to handle the academics, and the parents aren't willing or aren't able to help them succeed. It's really sad. I feel for so many of our families because one or both parents have lost their jobs or are having to work from early morning until late in the evening just to pay the bills. Most of the parents in the county are not well educated. The economy has really devastated Spring Hill. The last time I checked our county's unemployment rate (December), we were up around 13%.

I think our zip code is one of the worst areas in the county things seem a little better the closer you get to the Parkway. If I were moving to Hernando County now, I would try my best to find a place in a gated community or perhaps on some acreage. I think if you are retired, it would still be a decent place to settle provided you chose a community such as Timber Pines. However, if you have children living at home and are looking for an area where a good chunk of the population is middle to upper middle class and/or fairly well educated, I would recommend looking elsewhere. Because we no longer feel Hernando County is a good fit for our family, we are going to be leaving it. Although I am sad to leave some good friends and my job behind, I can honestly say I am looking forward to getting out of here before things get even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 PM
 
8,539 posts, read 5,306,272 times
Reputation: 3561
I really do not understand how you can compare SH to anything as far as income, education and employment as the entire equation.

First of all, it is and always was a bedroom community populated by transplants from somewhere else. There are a lot of people in "low income" catagories these days across the nation so let's not limit that to a Spring Hill problem or even a Florida problem. The national poverty rate is around 15 percent. Every state gets their share of that rate. No place is immune and why should it be?

If you realize that according to the statistics available right here on this website the median income here is $40,372. Hardly low income. The median household income in 2000 was $32,861. Maybe you are a little behind on what is actually happening in Spring Hill.

Another poster who actually lives in the area proved your statement that there is 6 people living in houses as wrong as far as to the scope and extent that you describe. Generally speaking, if you see a lot of cars parked in front of the house after 6 p.m., you can understand that there are several folks living there and working.

I remember when I first saw Spring Hill about 15 years ago. I said then "this is going to be the next boom area". Well, the population increase certainly proves that I was right then.

What you may see in Spring Hill is growth and change. Maybe the poster who saw nothing but ruins was driving down Eglin Blvd. where they tore down or relocated a bunch of houses to make room for a road widening project. The county of Hernando and the community of Spring Hill has done nothing but grow. With a 30 percent increase in population you will certainly see an increase in unemployment in the area. Especially when there was nothing here to begin with.

I understand your position that Spring Hill has "changed" in the past 15 years. That is about when the upward population numbers were increasing. They really haven't stopped since.

I certainly agree SH is NOT like it was back when the place was virtually 100 percent over 55. It has gone from a retirement town to a middle class community filled with folks from all walks of life and many different states and their families. Your fact that people in their 70's and 80's who were here 15 years ago is also true. They would be over 100 today.

Growth over the past 15 years has been rampant. Before the boom new housing was going up all over the place. The core services to
support the new residents were installed and many are waiting until there is some recovery in the economy and/or credit to small businesses becomes available again.

The middle class as a whole has suffered through this depression, oh, I mean recession, that's what they call it, right, recession? Lots of people here were involved in construction work. A lot of were involved in related activities of construction. It all came to a halt and put a percentage of people out of work. That percentage is reflected in the unemployment rate.

Education? Come now. No matter what any government provides as far as education, the requirement is that the students apply themselves to the task at hand. Many do not. This is not something a geographic area is responsible for.

So, is it a dying hell hole in Spring Hill. No, far from it, but don't tell anyone, we have enough folks here now.



Oh, one more thing. What wonderful nirvana does your home occupy?






Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Yikes. Six was an exaggeration to make the point that Two bedroom homes used to be fille with a retired couple and now are being filled with low income families You are the only one in denial in this thread. All you can do is focus on my 6 statemnet as you wont address the the MAIN point which is everyone seeing SH decline. SH has seen a HUGE drop in quality over the last ten years.

If you want facts we can talk about all the ways SH lags the rest of the state. Income/education/employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 5,700,848 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I really do not understand how you can compare SH to anything as far as income, education and employment as the entire equation.

First of all, it is and always was a bedroom community populated by transplants from somewhere else. There are a lot of people in "low income" catagories these days across the nation so let's not limit that to a Spring Hill problem or even a Florida problem. The national poverty rate is around 15 percent. Every state gets their share of that rate. No place is immune and why should it be?

If you realize that according to the statistics available right here on this website the median income here is $40,372. Hardly low income. The median household income in 2000 was $32,861. Maybe you are a little behind on what is actually happening in Spring Hill.

Another poster who actually lives in the area proved your statement that there is 6 people living in houses as wrong as far as to the scope and extent that you describe. Generally speaking, if you see a lot of cars parked in front of the house after 6 p.m., you can understand that there are several folks living there and working.

I remember when I first saw Spring Hill about 15 years ago. I said then "this is going to be the next boom area". Well, the population increase certainly proves that I was right then.

What you may see in Spring Hill is growth and change. Maybe the poster who saw nothing but ruins was driving down Eglin Blvd. where they tore down or relocated a bunch of houses to make room for a road widening project. The county of Hernando and the community of Spring Hill has done nothing but grow. With a 30 percent increase in population you will certainly see an increase in unemployment in the area. Especially when there was nothing here to begin with.

I understand your position that Spring Hill has "changed" in the past 15 years. That is about when the upward population numbers were increasing. They really haven't stopped since.

I certainly agree SH is NOT like it was back when the place was virtually 100 percent over 55. It has gone from a retirement town to a middle class community filled with folks from all walks of life and many different states and their families. Your fact that people in their 70's and 80's who were here 15 years ago is also true. They would be over 100 today.

Growth over the past 15 years has been rampant. Before the boom new housing was going up all over the place. The core services to
support the new residents were installed and many are waiting until there is some recovery in the economy and/or credit to small businesses becomes available again.

The middle class as a whole has suffered through this depression, oh, I mean recession, that's what they call it, right, recession? Lots of people here were involved in construction work. A lot of were involved in related activities of construction. It all came to a halt and put a percentage of people out of work. That percentage is reflected in the unemployment rate.

Education? Come now. No matter what any government provides as far as education, the requirement is that the students apply themselves to the task at hand. Many do not. This is not something a geographic area is responsible for.

So, is it a dying hell hole in Spring Hill. No, far from it, but don't tell anyone, we have enough folks here now.



Oh, one more thing. What wonderful nirvana does your home occupy?
Basically all I'm saying and it's the reason for the decline. A area that was designed and built for retired people. The area would still be nice I'm sure if it continued to be occupied by retired couples. Instead the decline is due to the low income families.

An area filled with retired people where the median household income is 40k is another world away from an area filled with families where the median household income is 40k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM
 
8,539 posts, read 5,306,272 times
Reputation: 3561
OK, you see decline. I will leave it at that. I see a natural progression of change like I saw
before in my life.

Why should only retired people have the benefit in living in Spring Hill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 10:41 PM
 
887 posts, read 645,103 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Drive by shooting? Do you have ANY link to ANY reference of a drive by shooting in Spring Hill?? Is this the one you refer to?
No, that's not the one. Go ahead and do the legwork to find the reference if you'd like. I tried to find it the next day but could not. The shooting happened on February 14th at 3048 Abeline Rd. Several of my neighbors including me heard the gunshots. The police came out to investigate and taped the area off. They found bullet holes in our neighbor's car and garage. I don't think the person who did the shooting was caught.

Quote:
Your husband witnessed a drug deal and I guess he didn't bother to call the Sheriff. That's is why crime happens. Nobody does anything about it.
No, he didn't call the police. He probably should have, but by the time it all went down the young men involved had already disappeared. Next time we will do a better job and report it. Point taken.

Quote:
Let's talk about schools. Who's fault is the lack of parental guidance? Is it the County's fault? Or is the fault of the fact that a 30 percent increase in population over a few years time will bring in what you consider "desirable" vs. "undesirable" people.
Of course it isn't the county's fault. They don't have a say in who moves here. All I was trying to say was at one time not too long ago, our student population was able to handle our curriculum and our parents were very involved. Now much of our current population cannot handle our curriculum and the parents are not as involved. I believe this is a result of our community having a greater influx of low-income families who have not attained much more than a high school diploma.


Quote:
Please tell me of the nirvana you wish to relocate to where there is little to no crime, no growth, high housing prices, low cost of living,
and the neighbors you would rather live with compared to the "low class" that you advise is inhabiting SH.
There is no such nirvana. However, we are moving to Safety Harbor, which is in my opinion a much better place to raise a family. Yes, it is more expensive. And I'm fine with that. I will gladly pay more if it means I can be in a nicer area. The people in Safety Harbor are better educated and make more money than those who live in Spring Hill. I checked the demographics. You can compare them yourself and see what I mean. It's not perfect, but it is a better fit for my family.

Obviously you like living here and think it's a good place to be. Perhaps Spring Hill is a better fit for you than it is for me and my family. I have no problem with that. There are plenty of people who live here and enjoy it.

I just don't happen to be one of them any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 PM
 
887 posts, read 645,103 times
Reputation: 716
Here it is:

HCSO Reports

If you scroll down that page, you will see several reports indicating a firearm was discharged on Abeline Rd. It looks like it actually happened to two homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 11:01 PM
 
887 posts, read 645,103 times
Reputation: 716
Also, here's an article stating that when compared to other counties in the Tampa Bay area, Hernando County has the highest number of murders measured by population:

For 2010-2011, Hernando leads the bay area in murders, measured by population - Tampa Bay Times

That certainly wasn't true ten years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2012, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,489 posts, read 11,362,023 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Basically all I'm saying and it's the reason for the decline. A area that was designed and built for retired people. The area would still be nice I'm sure if it continued to be occupied by retired couples. Instead the decline is due to the low income families.

An area filled with retired people where the median household income is 40k is another world away from an area filled with families where the median household income is 40k.
Please go research before you post.

In 2000 the median income in Spring Hill was just over $32,000, the median age was 48 and the median household size was 2.28
In 2010 the median income in Spring Hill was Just over $40,000, the median age was 47.9 and the median household size was 2.39

So we have a median age and household size that has barely changed and a median income that has increased by $8000 a year.

The decline with some areas looking bad is due to the economy just like mast other areas throughout the US.
You clearly are just posting your thought not actual facts, your thoughts just happen to be completely off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top