Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Homes View Post
I read that earlier. A 1000/month for food???
We spend $1000/month on food, but we have a family of 8.

It's odd that the family in the article feels poor. I think it's more their attitude about it than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
That's crazy. My son lives in an area where the average cost of housing is over 300K. He makes around 70K. His wife stays at home with their son, they have two new vehicles, a car and a truck, paid cash for both, a used RV trailer, paid cash, and no debts other then the house. That family in the article doesn't know how to budget.

Oh, holidays are local with the RV; no Tonga or Bali or Mexico like their neighbors. Guess one chooses what is important.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Parents need to be concerned about their own retirement years - I wonder how well this family is set up for theirs while they finance two kids' college education. If they're concerned about a poor standard of living off of $100k/yr, wait until they reach their retirement years without a pot to **** in.

As for paying for college: there becomes a time in an adult's life when they have to take responsibility for themselves. There are several ways to finance an education other than having mommy and daddy pay for it - that might include working during college, taking a loan, joining the military, finding scholarships, or obtaining grants.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Retirement or College Savings

Raising Financially Savvy Children These Days Isn't Kid's Play

By Suze Orman

I don't have to tell you that raising kids presents an endless series of challenges, from getting your baby to sleep through the night to forking over the car keys to your teenager for the first time. But one of the most daunting challenges parents deal with is actually something they impose on themselves. I am talking about the notion that parents "ought" to finance 100 percent of their kid's college education, even if their ability to secure their own future takes a back seat.

As well-intentioned as I know all of you are, I would have to give an "F" to any parent who underfunds their future because they are busy saving up to send their kid to college.

Just think about this for a moment, my friends. There are plenty of financial aid options for a college student. Almost 60 percent of college students receive some aid. But there is absolutely no program I know of that will float you a loan or give you a grant so you can pay your own bills when you retire.

Since the available resources are pretty much all on one side here, might it not be possible, or should I say probable, that the best course of action for you and your children is to make sure your finances are on track before you start diverting money into a college account?

Retirement or College Savings: Money Matters - Yahoo! Finance

Old 03-23-2012, 04:50 AM

173 posts, read 391,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post

It's odd that the family in the article feels poor. I think it's more their attitude about it than anything else.
They feel poor.. they thought they'd have more disposable income, more confidence in their home, more saved in the retirement account.

With those parameters... I guess a lot of us feel poor.

But I've been poor... my version of poor... I realize others have been worse off... There are many good lessons in being less wealthy than we want.

You learn to make difficult decisions.. cut back on non-essentials.. and be grateful for what you have.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:04 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
Poster children for living beyond their means...

Old 03-23-2012, 06:23 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Your theory here is just very unwise.

So your saying they should not plan for retirement, not have full coverage auto insurance and not help there kids out with higher education?

Going to let you in on a little secret. If you are able to afford saving for retirement, carry full coverage and pay for kids' tuition... you are not poor.

First off, if you have a cash car that is worth less than $5K you should not carry full coverage (comp/coll). The numbers don;t make sense when you look at what you pay for it and what you would get paid if you total your car.

I'm not saying they shouldn't plan for their retirement. But you sure as heck shouldn't complain about it and state that you are poor because you are paying extra on your mortgage and putting money away for the future.

In my family the kids always had to pay for their own college. The trade here is, if you go to college you can stay living at home for free.

I think this guy needs to count his blessings on what he is able to do and realize he is in a much better position than the vast majority of America.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
I have similar feelings every year around April 15 when I look at last year's income and wonder where it all went. I want it back...in a lump sum! LOL

Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post

I agree, Maggi. Wealth is really a state of mind. Many people feel rich with half (or less) than that family. It's really all about being grateful for what you have and making smart choices. Some people have a poverty consciousness, and no amount of money would make them feel rich or content.

I agree with your post, too, FloridaKash!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
If they really are in Tampa, tuition and fees at Hillsborough Community College ends up being about $100/credit hour. Figure 15 credit hours per semester for each kid and you're at about $6,000 a year. Even if you add in extra lab fees and overpriced textbooks, you should still be at half or less of the $15K they claimed it cost to send the kids to community college.

As for the $300/month car payment, unless there was a huge trade-in involved, that's the monthly payment for a five year note for a mid-sized sedan.

The $1000/month for food likely includes a fair amount of eating out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: