Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,828 times

Advertisements

This forum has been very interesting, here's my first attempt at posting.

Wife and I are early 30's, no kids and no plans on it

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.
Downtown Tampa, 10-12hr professional workdays (around 8 to 6)

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?
$1,500-$2,500/mo, would want to rent first. House could be up to $450,000

Are schools a concern?
Nope

What is an acceptable commute time?
As short as possible, but could tolerate up to 30 minutes

What else is important to you?
- Close to the beach and fishing, prefer to be next to the water. Would love a boat slip/canal, but probably not possible.
- Ability to get rent/own a place with at least a small amount of fenced green space to lets the dogs out. Ideally a maintenance free townhouse.
- Garage
- Decent population of younger folks, can't live with all retirees.

Any chance this can happen, where should I generally be looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Cullbreath Isles. If you want to be on a canal. BUT Mind you, you will also be on the flying pattern for Tampa International. I think with that budget you could get in there. That is where you'll find everything on your list, but the beach.

The "beaches" are in St Pete, NOT in Tampa. About 25/30 minutes from South Tampa where Cullbreath Isles are.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
I doubt your going to get in culbreath isles for 450k.. I could be wrong though. honestly there are SO many places with slips, townhouses to condos to houses. I would probably say somewhere in the south tampa area though sounds like what you would like.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
The cheapest listing i see in culbreath isles is 1.1 million.

There is always the yacht club though. there not on a canal but do have an attached marina right in the neighborhood. There well kept, new and they just started building out the rest of the land in there.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=FL525765730

Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 AM

If they want "canal" living, they'll have to fork over the big bucks. They work in downtown Tampa...what they'll save on gas, they'll pay on location!

I can't think of another place close to downtown that fits that description...anyone else care to name places? Westshore is a Yacht club and does not have canals per say...and neither is the rest of South Tampa...

There are a few "canals" on David Islands...
see photo below...

Canal living is not cheap for sure...but that's everywhere, not just in Tampa.
Attached Thumbnails
Potentially moving to Tampa-region-capture-1.png  

Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 AM

22 posts, read 40,639 times
Give MiraBay in Apollo Beach a shot. Some re-sales on canal can be had for that. It's not close to a real beach but the community itself is beautiful. It's about a half hour from MiraBay to the Channelside District so just keep that in mind for a commute.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,828 times
This is really interesting stuff, thanks for your replies. What kind of options might there be in St. Pete?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:22 AM

22 posts, read 40,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasesfish View Post
This is really interesting stuff, thanks for your replies. What kind of options might there be in St. Pete?
For 450, prob nothing on the water and certainly not single family on the water. Maybe a decent condo. St. Pete has a lot of things going for it other than congestion.

To have the boat slip, you have to give up some other items on your wish list.

Downtown St. Pete has a lot going for it restaurant and entertainment wise. I was there a few weeks ago for a charity even raising money for guide dogs that had 4-5K people in one of the parks.....there were 3 other festivals going on at the same time........great atmosphere. Then when it was over, I packed up and drove 40 minutes to my house with a boat slip.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 AM

In St. Pete around Big Bayou you "might" find a fixer upper...like the above poster said, something's got to give...water living is always at a premium...and you always get wiped by hurricanes first...hahahahaha so don't buy a mobile home...those fly out first...(sometimes I am not sure "why" is at a premium...maybe at an insurance "premium"! hahaha

Old 04-01-2012, 07:12 PM

10 posts, read 14,258 times
Ok, I would definitely suggest renting first since you are new to the area. You mentioned a townhouse type of setting would be ideal, too. My suggestion would be to start in Brandon - the reason I say that is because you are close to the Crosstown which makes going to downtown Tampa a breeze.

For example, there is one apartment complex here that has some townhouse style apartments with a 2-car garage and with a fenced in dog area nearby. It is close to the Crosstown as well, about 2 miles away. This would give you time to really get to know the different areas and pinpoint where you want to be. (it probably won't be Brandon, but it would be a good starting point)

Might not be super close to the water, but there are some decent areas not too far away where you can fish if that is your thing. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: