U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 PM

37 posts, read 23,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunefix View Post
Rick Scott is doing his best to squash any sort of decent public transportation in Pinellas County. I guess it doesn't fit in his spoils system. once rick scott gets out of there and Florida elects somebody less crooked maybe something can get done there.
this post is about a toll road over the bridge to help pay for it. You want more public transportation. We can't afford what we have and you want more. Tell us how we can pay for more?? Oh yea, other peoples money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM

72 posts, read 54,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flviking View Post
this post is about a toll road over the bridge to help pay for it. You want more public transportation. We can't afford what we have and you want more. Tell us how we can pay for more?? Oh yea, other peoples money.
I'm curious if you think the only roads that should ever be built or maintained are those that are paid for by tolls and the gas tax? Or, do you think that using other people's money for roads is okay?

Last edited by neptunefix; 04-10-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 PM

1,729 posts, read 865,486 times
Rick Scott looks like a turtle Sorry I just had to say it I'm outta here...see ya!...

I just notice the thread title was changed to Rick instead of "Dick", too bad because it actually fit...

Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 PM

385 posts, read 410,840 times
Tampa and St. Pete being "twin cities," I think it would be a serious mistake to make the main road between them a toll road. There is just too much commerce between the two cities to inhibit it in any way. But I'm sure that is the thinking... people will pay the toll because they HAVE to pay the toll.

I would be surprised if this goes through.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 PM

2,534 posts, read 977,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
He can just use the Gandy bridge. Soon all roads will become toll roads. You guys have just seen the start to what this country will become.
Roads are not free. Bridges cost an order of magnitude over roads on a per mile basis.

The users (and beneficiaries) of these roads should pay for them. The most fair way is a weight/mileage tax based upon the roads used.

The technology exists to determine exactly what roads you've used, and index it for the weight of your car. That is how they should be paid for, but there is a down side.

The down side, is that by doing so, government has to have access to your exact location when on all public roads at all times. If there were a total firewall wrapped around that information, that it can be used for the SOLE purpose of determining your fair share of the cost of building and maintaining those roads, I'm okay with that.

But that information can NEVER, under any circumstances, be made available to any other arm of government. No probable cause. No reasonable belief. No nothing. If you have probable cause to track someone by other means, so be it, but if we institute a true weight/mileage tax based on actual usage, that information is sacrosanct, even if it means a killer goes free. Otherwise, the temptation is too great.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,873,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Rick Scott looks like a turtle Sorry I just had to say it I'm outta here...see ya!...

I just notice the thread title was changed to Rick instead of "Dick", too bad because it actually fit...
That's what we have to put up here at Tampa Bay forum...day in and day out...Crazynip had other thread under the same name and still it is there, in Florida forum Talk about double standard!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...t-workers.html

Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,173,153 times
If bills are getting vetoed that pass FL House and Senate combined 144-4, it's clear that will of the people is not being done. It's a slap in the face to everyone electing their Reps. and Sens. in thier districts.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 AM

72 posts, read 54,750 times
The legislators can't overturn a veto in Florida with a super majority?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,173,153 times
Quote:
The legislators can't overturn a veto in Florida with a super majority?
I suppose, but for now it's getting tabled until the next session

Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 PM

37 posts, read 23,101 times
Quote:
I'm curious if you think the only roads that should ever be built or maintained are those that are paid for by tolls and the gas tax? Or, do you think that using other people's money for roads is okay?
The point of the article is we can't pay nor maintain the roads we have now. So the state is looking for ways to increase revenue. All this crying over a possible toll. So the state comes up with Ideas and all people want to do is say no. But no one wants to come up with alternative IDEAS to solve the problem. Instead people get mad at the gov for shooting down the bullet train, that would of cost us over a billion dollars. With no ideas on how to pay for it. We all seem to want, want, want and let someone else pay. Nice when it works that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: