U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2012, 12:34 AM

5,453 posts, read 3,802,636 times
Exactly! nobody is also "tipping" customer service reps who fix your computer over the phone with a smile on their faces! and the examples keep coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The op's description of 'great service' is my definition of doing your damn job.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 AM

8,611 posts, read 3,756,753 times
This conversation reminds me a lot of the tip jars sat on counters in pizza shops or the fact that pizza delivery men expect to be tipped. It's like, wooooooo you drove the pizza here..... great job freind! Heres some money! How could you screw that one up exactly? lol

Old 04-08-2012, 12:36 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,023,198 times
I've tipped 18-20% for the last few years. I travel (& dine out) a lot, so I guess that's how I know. My thought has always been, if you're not willing to tip, then don't eat out. I can only think of a handful of times when the service was so bad that I didn't leave anything. I also want to add, I find it odd that diners leave change on tables. Why not round to the next dollar?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 AM

274 posts, read 270,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
How could you screw that one up exactly? lol
Tell them you don't tip when placing the order...that should do it.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 AM

8,489 posts, read 10,957,573 times
I will also mention that I bussed tables when I was younger and tended bar.
I never worried about how much someone was tipping because i realized if I went above and beyond that I would be rewarded.
Bartending at 16-17 years old and bring home $100-$150 for 4-6 hours was pretty sweet, yes some nights was only $70 or so but was still well more than $10 an hour and this was 30 years ago without a base pay of $4.26 an hour.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:44 AM

8,489 posts, read 10,957,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I've tipped 18-20% for the last few years. I travel (& dine out) a lot, so I guess that's how I know. My thought has always been, if you're not willing to tip, then don't eat out. I can only think of a handful of times when the service was so bad that I didn't leave anything. I also want to add, I find it odd that diners leave change on tables. Why not round to the next dollar?
Why would you find it odd that people leave change? If the bill is $8.45, a 15% tip is about $1.27, 18% is $1.52. You would instead expect people to reach into their pocket for another singe and leave $2, a 24% tip rather than just the change from a $10?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:54 AM

105 posts, read 58,488 times
Wow! Complicated isn't it? I'm glad we don't tip anybody for anything. It really worries us when we go overseas though! I got told off by a taxi driver in Lisbon, Portugal, for tipping too much. I made him keep it for his honesty!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:02 AM

1,271 posts, read 1,251,336 times
Quote:
I find it odd that some diners round up to the next dollar. Why not leave change that inevitably accumulates in server's pockets regardless? We all need to get rid of our loose pocket change somewhere, you know. It's either you or vending machines, and vending machines don't need to pinch pennies to see if they can make next month's rent.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:36 AM

15,461 posts, read 20,242,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgal View Post
I am compelled to write this post. I know this is subject which can bring alot of negative comments about "bad servers who need to do a better job" or "don't like it, get a real job" etc. Simply trying to get the word out, if you go to a nice place for dinner and get great service (a smiling, helpful person who keeps your water glass full 90% of the time and brings your drinks and food in a timely manner), please tip more than 15% of your bill. That tip was good 20+ years ago, the minimum tip these days is 18%. If you have a great time and want to show it leave 20%. I am truly shocked at the volume of 15% tippers in the area who will say to their server "you were great, thank you so much" then leave 15%. Please spread the word.
I understand your post but you also have to see it from the other side where many people have less money to spent and by going out less and giving lower tips they can still afford to go out and have dinner....

15%-18% of nothing is nothing!

15% or maybe 12% of something is a lot more!

We have decided that when we get good service we give close to 20% but so many times the service is not very good or the food is not great even though the server was very nice and that will reflect our tip!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 AM

28,106 posts, read 22,881,067 times
Quote:
I agree. I always tip more than 15% (it's easier to double the tax - that is automatically almost 17%, and I will often leave 20% or more for great service). I don't ever hold the server responsible for the quality of the food.
But I take issue with the op's entitlement attitude.

"Oh, I did my job right so I deserve more tip."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay