U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:02 PM

8,489 posts, read 16,005,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Servers do much more than just take orders and bring food. I have been a server for over 30 years and there is "side work" which involves cleaning and prepping the restaurant for business. So basically servers also get paid $2.50 an hour(varies by state) to do things like vaccum the dining room, prep veggies and make salads,whip cream,cut desserts,clean the bathrooms,clean the chairs,preportion sour cream,butter.Set up salad dressings set up condiments,cut lemons,fold tons of napkins,stock up the dining room with all the glasses and silverware that are clean from last night.Not to mention putting it all away and doing some cleaning at the end of the night. At my last job this took about 2 hours everyday before we even opened.Most people are not really aware of this.
You failed to address just about everything in my post. I didn't think I needed to add all the ancillary duties that might be involved in being a waitress. The main job is to take orders and get those orders to the table.

Do you or do you not think that $13.50 an hour is on the high side for someone working at a Chili's or Applebee's? Keep in mind that the majority will not be claiming all their tips at tax time making the pay in essence even higher.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:08 PM

515 posts, read 997,922 times
Quote:
prep veggies and make salads,whip cream,cut desserts...preportion sour cream,butter.Set up salad dressings set up condiments,cut lemons...
That's all stuff that should be done by prep cooks or others in the back. When I worked at a restaurant, the servers were never responsible for anything like this. They were just responsible for the front of the house. That said, although I was a cook I had to do a lot more than just cook. The kitchen didn't clean itself just like the bathrooms don't clean themselves. I didn't expect extra pay for having to clean. Even with the extra duties and time spent before opening and after they were cut, servers still made more per hour than those of us in the back.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:48 PM

272 posts, read 459,529 times
Quote:
Servers do much more than just take orders and bring food. I have been a server for over 30 years and there is "side work" which involves cleaning and prepping the restaurant for business. So basically servers also get paid $2.50 an hour(varies by state) to do things like vaccum the dining room, prep veggies and make salads,whip cream,cut desserts,clean the bathrooms,clean the chairs,preportion sour cream,butter.Set up salad dressings set up condiments,cut lemons,fold tons of napkins,stock up the dining room with all the glasses and silverware that are clean from last night.Not to mention putting it all away and doing some cleaning at the end of the night. At my last job this took about 2 hours everyday before we even opened.Most people are not really aware of this.
What is your net hourly? If you have two hours of sidework and four hours of waiting tables (100 net after tip out for instance) then that's 100/6=16/hr. Are you looking at your hours that way?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 PM

21 posts, read 30,341 times
Yes, sorry, meant no offense Jen29!!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 PM

There are no benefits in most restaurant jobs. If you get hurt, it's out of pocket.Thank you so much to everyone for responding. Mike, not talking about a Chili's or Applebee's, I am dealing with 5 different tables likes, dislikes, allergies, etc...i am getting bread, getting wine and wine glasses, explaining orders, taking your kid's order, getting cocktails..

Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 PM

Remember, what you may believe is "great service" may not necessarily be synonymous with what your customers idea of great service is. It may not hurt to (honestly) self evaluate your style or ask your manager to go over your strengths and weaknesses as a server. This may especially be true if you're consistently getting 15%. If you're only occasionally getting that percentage then you need to get over it and simply accept the nature of the restaurant business. Also keep in mind that tip percentage changes based on demographics. If you're waiting tables in a chain restaurant somewhere out in the suburbs of Tampa then don't be surprised by 15%.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 AM

Thanks, but I'm not in the burbs. I have been in the restaurant biz for over 20 years in many cities in the USA, I do not need to ask my manager for service tips, but thanks for the advice...I am simply comparing tips from this area to the rest of America and trust me, it's lacking.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgal View Post
I am simply comparing tips from this area to the rest of America and trust me, it's lacking.
I completely disagree with you. Again, if you're consistently getting 15% and also think that there is no room for improvement on your end, then the problem may be you and not your guests. Even after 20 years of doing a particular job, there is always room for improvement.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 AM

8,489 posts, read 16,005,109 times
Quote:
Thanks, but I'm not in the burbs. I have been in the restaurant biz for over 20 years in many cities in the USA, I do not need to ask my manager for service tips, but thanks for the advice...I am simply comparing tips from this area to the rest of America and trust me, it's lacking.
The difference here, which should have been up to you to check before looking for work here, is that there are many European vacationers or part timers. Being many European restaurants pay a regular wage to the wait staff and the extra service charge is in the bill, many do not tip because it is not customary where they come from.
I really don't think that Florida is lacking as you claim though since the median wage for wait staff in Florida is around $11.42 an hour. With the states with the highest median for waitstaff being $12.34 to $13.74 but with much higher COL, I fail to see how Florida is lacking.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 AM

12,172 posts, read 13,727,618 times
Quote:
Would the restaurant where you work be considered fine dining? Fine dining where great service is expected, the tip should be 20%. Staffers at run of the mill restaurants usually don't expect or deserve a 20% tip.
Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay