U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:04 PM

975 posts, read 3,434,741 times

Advertisements

I was doing some quotes for car insurance from my insurance co. for the Tampa area and I noticed it was way lower in Brandon than in places like Temple Terrace and Tampa (I guess because less crime?), and it seems like there are some good deals for rentals there too. I am single, and do not need to be in the middle of a big scene all the time anymore, but at the same time do not want to feel like an alien being around families with small children all the time. Do you think I would fit in in Brandon, etc.? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 02:23 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,628,554 times
In my opinion, Brandon, Valrico and Riverview are VERY family oriented, suburbian life. Shopping Malls, Chain Retail and Dining, Lots of Families.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 14,524 times
Lee Roy Selmon Crosstown Expressway can take you to Channelside and Ybor City in just 10-15min drive from Brandon. Also you will find a few night clubs in Brandon.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:11 PM

58 posts, read 164,266 times
i live in riverview in a condo and i am single and LOVE the nightlife around the corner in brandon and ybor city, and channelside.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:04 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,870,249 times
i did brandon as a single guy. do yourself a favor.... DONT EVEN CONSIDER IT.

For visited the old stomping grounds, hit the green iguana in brandon. i had the worst time of my life.

check out apartments in westshore if you want to be near action, but not in the middle. action spots would by hyde park/soho. channelside district is cool, but not a lot of people living there yet... it is filling up. brandon is still 15 mins from downtown, 20 mins from soho, 20 mins from intl plaza, all good singles spots. riverview is another 5 mins, valrico is another 10-15 minutes on top of that.

if you cant afford to live in the hotspots, living in brandon will suffice. you will break even after spending cab/toll money though. i work in south tampa and save 125 a month in tolls, not including going out tolls. I have moved and am so happy since leaving brandon

Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 AM

11,456 posts, read 12,730,585 times
Brandon is for families imo. Clubs/Bars in Brandon suck. Mostly chains restaurants and cookie cutter mentality. It's easy, but Tampa is much more fun, especially for a single person.

My wife and I live in Brandon and our kids are grown up for the most part. We always take the crosstown over to Hyde Park/South Tampa/Ybor to do things. We'd much rather live in Tampa, for what we like it's night and day.

When I was single I lived in S. Tampa and Davis Island. I partied like crazy all over the place, mostly Ybor City. Even if you weren't a club type of person I really think you'd enjoy S. Tampa/Westshore/Ybor much more than Brandon.

This week I'm driving over to meet my friend to walk down Bayshore. That's a daily thing when you live down there; most people can just bike down to Bayshore or someplace cool. In Brandon? Bike around a retention pond maybe?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,905 times
I'm a single guy (34) in Brandon and it's horrible here. It's all single moms who have been treated bad because all the men here are players and a--holes. The few good looking girls here are trashy and have no class. I have to drive down to South Tampa just to find a pretty and intelligent girl to talk to, but they are usually stuck up so it's not much better. I think Florida -especially Brandon, is the worst place on earth to live if you are single and looking for quality people. Ask anyone who has moved away from here and they will agree. Also I just wanted to briefly mention the drivers around here. Brandon is an absolute traffic nightmare full of slow moving brain dead minivan morons who cant even go on a green light.. I gotta get out of here before I lose it! I should have never left the Midwest.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 PM

257 posts, read 413,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post

For visited the old stomping grounds, hit the green iguana in brandon. i had the worst time of my life.

check out apartments in westshore if you want to be near action, but not in the middle. action spots would by hyde park/soho. channelside district is cool, but not a lot of people living there yet... it is filling up. brandon is still 15 mins from downtown, 20 mins from soho, 20 mins from intl plaza, all good singles spots. riverview is another 5 mins, valrico is another 10-15 minutes on top of that.

if you cant afford to live in the hotspots, living in brandon will suffice. you will break even after spending cab/toll money though. i work in south tampa and save 125 a month in tolls, not including going out tolls. I have moved and am so happy since leaving brandon
Craig, where do you live now?

So for action spots you are recommending looking in: Westshore Soho, Hyde Park and Channelside?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 PM

257 posts, read 413,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post

How is around USF campus?

Old 01-11-2010, 01:36 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,870,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
Craig, where do you live now?

So for action spots you are recommending looking in: Westshore Soho, Hyde Park and Channelside?
I live in westshore now, across from international plaza. Nightlife is great, I can walk to Bay street at the mall for some of the nicest spots in tampa. Clean-cut professional crowds, beautiful women. I am also just 3 miles from SoHo, hyde park. 3 traffic lights down dale mabry, hook a left on kennedy and drive for a mile or two I am crossing S Howard.

If you like modern, upscale, new, I would look at some of the new places between west shore and dale mabry along boy scout drive. Phillips Intl Drive and the millennium come to mind specifically. If you like chic, hip, character, maybe remodeled, check out SoHo, where craigslist will be your best bet. You cant go wrong in either place as each offer tampas best night life and are really only 5 minutes from each other. more times then not i have started in SoHo and ended up at intl plaza or visa versa. I heard they are going to be running the free shuttle between intl plaza and SoHo now too, not sure if it is true.

BTW, David813s post about brandon is SPOT ON! that is a year of my life i will never get back. Talk about a cesspool of people who are contempt with living a ****ty life. I once met a girl with 2 kids, no job and no car or license (DUI). I wasn't surprised, I was in Brandon.

Channelside is cool if you are a tourist IMO. for people who live in tampa, channelside is primarily a place to go on a birthday or when you have friends in town. I like it, but it can be kind of gimmicky and would get old very fast. for a tampa transplant like myself, westshore is #1 in my book. if I were a 27 year old tampa native, SoHo/Hyde Park would be my #1. it can be a little cliquey there and very hard to make friends. SoHo is much more fun when you make some other transplant friends (which you will do in westshore) and venture down as a duo or a group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or