U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,436 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hello all!

I currently live in Orlando and am applying for jobs in the Tampa/St.Pete area. I want to get a head start on narrowing down what area I want to live in, as i know my turn around on relocation will only be about a month.

Right now my best job prospect is in the Westshore area. I'm originally from a small coastal city in the Carolinas and like the beach bar scene for nightlife more than clubs and pretentious ultra lounges. I'm 32 and still enjoy going out, just not crazy party club style.

Ultimately I would love to live as close to the beach as possible. Or if not by the beach, by the bay. I'd like to sit out on a porch at night and feel a coastal breeze. (maybe from a few blocks away)

Would the commute from St. Pete beach area to Westshore be brutal? I work retail hours so it's not a typical 9-5 job but sometimes I do have a morning commute. Would any of the other beach be closer than St. Pete beach? (not mileage wise, but commute time wise)

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 PM
 
85 posts, read 142,758 times
Reputation: 67
Gulfport!

it reminds me of southport at night but with more bars and restaurants
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 PM
 
Location: South Tampa
1,163 posts, read 1,851,744 times
Reputation: 1059
I'm from South Carolina and unfortunately, you aren't going to find many coastal areas around here that remind you of ours backhome. Where we have so much that isn't overdeveloped but just enough to sustain a population (Edisto, Folly, Pawleys, etc)...pretty much every coastal bank is built up with a high rise, shopping section, or just out of reach real estate.

At any rate, I live off of Westshore. You may luck up and find some homes on a canal that will provide a ocean breeze and slight resemblance to what we have back home in SC...but you are going to pay and probably get less than what you'd think. That will give you bay living...but not really beach living.

But to answer your question regarding travel time...if you are closer to Gandy bridge, you can get to the beaches in around 25 minutes depending on traffic, time of day, and which beach you select (we go to Pass A Grille because it's the only stretch that reminds us of peaceful Carolina beaches). However, that is going from Gandy (Westshore) TO the beaches. Travelling the opposite is going to double or triple your commute in the mornings, I'd suppose.

FYI, there is a bar off of Westshore south of Gandy called Duke's...it should be just the place you are looking for if you need a drink.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 PM
 
85 posts, read 142,758 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I'm from South Carolina and unfortunately, you aren't going to find many coastal areas around here that remind you of ours backhome. Where we have so much that isn't overdeveloped but just enough to sustain a population (Edisto, Folly, Pawleys, etc)...pretty much every coastal bank is built up with a high rise, shopping section, or just out of reach real estate.

At any rate, I live off of Westshore. You may luck up and find some homes on a canal that will provide a ocean breeze and slight resemblance to what we have back home in SC...but you are going to pay and probably get less than what you'd think. That will give you bay living...but not really beach living.

But to answer your question regarding travel time...if you are closer to Gandy bridge, you can get to the beaches in around 25 minutes depending on traffic, time of day, and which beach you select (we go to Pass A Grille because it's the only stretch that reminds us of peaceful Carolina beaches). However, that is going from Gandy (Westshore) TO the beaches. Traveling the opposite is going to double or triple your commute in the mornings, I'd suppose.

FYI, there is a bar off of Westshore south of Gandy called Duke's...it should be just the place you are looking for if you need a drink.

I disagree their are parts of Siesta Key that look just like edisto island.... Most of the area is not as bad as myrtle beach
Also really it is a lifestyle choice you ether live on the gulf side of the bay or not.... If your not a boating/beach person that is up to you....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,436 times
Reputation: 15
Thanks for your help everyone! I'm originally from Wrighsville beach/Wilmington and spent a few summers in Charleston. Definitely looking to avoid the Myrtle Beach type area, which I think would be Clearwater.

Is Gandy a better commute than 275? Is 275 that bad? I've driven it but never in rush hour.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 AM
 
Location: South Tampa
1,163 posts, read 1,851,744 times
Reputation: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtransplant37 View Post
I disagree their are parts of Siesta Key that look just like edisto island.... Most of the area is not as bad as myrtle beach
Also really it is a lifestyle choice you ether live on the gulf side of the bay or not.... If your not a boating/beach person that is up to you....
Sorry, I was talking about Tampa & Pinellas...not so much Sarasota to the south or even north of Pinellas. There are certainly some less built out coastal areas near the area...just hardly any specifically in Tampa/St. Pete. Siesta Key is beautiful and so are a lot of other places in that stretch from Anna Marie down to Siesta Key.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:15 PM
 
13,768 posts, read 35,413,633 times
Reputation: 10637
There are some apts on Tampa Bay that would make more sense. There is Feather Sound, Courtney Campbell causeway and Westshore all have apts and not that far from Westshore.
The commute will be much shorter if you stay on the Tampa side of the bay. Driving from Gulfport to Tampa Westshore area is going to be at least an hour each way if not longer
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM
 
15,952 posts, read 33,674,074 times
Reputation: 20284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
There are some apts on Tampa Bay that would make more sense. There is Feather Sound, Courtney Campbell causeway and Westshore all have apts and not that far from Westshore.
The commute will be much shorter if you stay on the Tampa side of the bay. Driving from Gulfport to Tampa Westshore area is going to be at least an hour each way if not longer
I agree with this ^^. You don't want to be making a commute from Gulfport or St. Pete/Clearwater, traffic will be hellish. I don't have personal knowledge of them, but I believe there are some nice apartments on Rocky Point? That would be a great location on the water and very close to work for you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM
 
13,768 posts, read 35,413,633 times
Reputation: 10637
I know some people who lived in that area and they were always telling me about the dolphins jumping in the water. I lived off of Westshore and we use to go down every evening and watch the sunset (weather permitting) almost like a happy hour, great way to make friends too. We would also have dolphins jumping and playing in the bay too plus we use to sail our Hobie in the bay.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top